Malty Taste which yeast, Windsor or London?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristoffer84

Reaction score
Hej guys,

going to brew a malty recipe so low on ibu and much special malt. What would you consider for yeast the Lallemand Windsor or London?
I read that both yeast are simular only that Windsor is more fruity and low on apparent attenuation. Is that correct so far?
Which yeast gives the mal a bigger chance without overlaying it? And what fermentation temperature i should go to accive that.

Last thing: Are both yeast realiable without making any trouble to me? Read stuff about s33 stoping ferment and then go again ans so on...

What's your recipe? If you're using a lot of specialty grains you might not need to use a low attenuating yeast to get a malty beer.

Haven’t used Windsor. I used London for the first time just recently, and was very happy with it. It ripped through fermentation. I was at 70 F ambient, but things went so fast it hit 78 F in the beer. Still nothing in the way of offensive fusels or esters. I actually ended up with moderately high attenuation, but the beer (ESB) did not leak maltiness. A+, would recommend.

What's your recipe? If you're using a lot of specialty grains you might not need to use a low attenuating yeast to get a malty beer.
Its more a matter of taste of the yeast itself. While S04 is a pretty bready taste i wonder what london is. I know that i can acchive low att with higher mash or more spec. malt but the endtaste of the yeast is more important.

I sense a bit of a language barrier here. Let me try to clarify it a bit.

He is looking for a dry yeast with low attenuation, good flocculation and the yeast should push malty flavours without bringing much yeast derived flavours itself to the table.

Last edited:
I use Windsor for my favourite Mild and London for my favourite ESB. The malt character the Windsor leaves is the reason for my choice. (Windsor doesn't utilize the maltoriose) That said, I'm sure other ingredients have a big impact.. My Milds always use a fair amount of darker malts, while my ESB uses very little.

Back