Malted grass seed in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turfmanbrad

Reaction score
So I'm a golf course superintendent that majored in turfgrass science in college that enjoys the science of the brew. After a year and a half of brewing, I had the idea of using grass seed as a specialty grain. I could malt and dry them myself but I was wondering if anyone by chance has heard, read, or done anything with grass seed (tall fescue or ryegrass most likely.) Its a pretty far fetched idea and I'm not sure what it'd add to the beer...if anything, but being the turf nerd I am, it's something I'd be wiling to try. Thanks for any advice.

Nothing to add here, but i'm curious to see if anything comes of this.

FWIW, my dog eats grass sometimes. i asked what he thought about the idea, but he just wanted to play fetch. he's worthless when it comes to feedback.

Ha, what a interesting idea. I also have nothing but I think worth a shot I cant wait to hear more about it.

I would think the rye would be the grass to go with here. I imagine the malt being rather bland. But I've never eaten any grass seed so I don't know for sure, just a guess.

Certain tall fescues have a larger seed than ryegrass (not the usual rye grain for beer). I was leaning towards tall fescue but ryegrass is quite close in size. The seeds have a dry/bitter taste to them...similar to an acorn if you've ever decided to see what all the hubbub was about in squirrel land. I may do a 1gal smash+grass for ****zengiggles. 10% seed?

Shoot, I thought I was original. Should've searched first. Thanks! Any ideas on percentages? Probably gonna point to some really grassy hops too. Any suggestions?

Back