Malted Corn Based Recipies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8gallonalchemy

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been doing mead for quite some time but I'm looking to start experimenting with beer. I wasn't sure if this should go here on in the newbie forum, but my interest is focused exclusively on the gluten-free stuff since I can't do regular beers.

For my first attempt, I was thinking of doing some kind of spin on chicha. I have 4 pounds of malted corn ready to go and I can make more in about a week. Does anyone have any good recipes for me to try out?

Last edited:
No. I'd think though that anything made primarily of corn would take on the worst characteristics of really bad extract beer + corn sugar. Not that I've not enjoyed some sour mash corn products before :)

No. I'd think though that anything made primarily of corn would take on the worst characteristics of really bad extract beer + corn sugar. Not that I've not enjoyed some sour mash corn products before :)
I'm not 100% sold on the all corn thing. I just have a lot of malted corn and am looking for gluten-free suggestions.

might have more luck in the distilling forum....as far as i know malted corn has the enzymes, but the gel temp is past denaturing temps....so you'd have to boil some, then add more once it cooled to ~150f....

I have done an all corn beer before. Malted and roasted the corn, did the brew. I also added some golden syrup for a little more colour as I was aiming for a "yellow beer", and got it spot on. I'm guessing you can find a substitute for Golden Syrup in America? It was a good beer, really light and refreshing. I didnt IPA it, just kept the hops to a minimum. I think 2oz, timings were 1 hour and 40 minutes, 1oz each, if I remember rightly? Give it a try, I might do it again, soon. No harm in trying. If it doesn't work, what have you lost?

I have done an all corn beer before. Malted and roasted the corn, did the brew. I also added some golden syrup for a little more colour as I was aiming for a "yellow beer", and got it spot on. I'm guessing you can find a substitute for Golden Syrup in America? It was a good beer, really light and refreshing. I didnt IPA it, just kept the hops to a minimum. I think 2oz, timings were 1 hour and 40 minutes, 1oz each, if I remember rightly? Give it a try, I might do it again, soon. No harm in trying. If it doesn't work, what have you lost?

i'd be curious what your gravity was, and what temp/how did you mash it?

Not a clue, dude. Whatever gas mark 6 for 3 hours is... It was Imperial 5 gallons, 4.4lb of malted corn, 2lb of golden syrup.

Not a clue, dude. Whatever gas mark 6 for 3 hours is... It was Imperial 5 gallons, 4.4lb of malted corn, 2lb of golden syrup.

Had to look up "gas mark 6" because I had never heard the term. Google says that is a temperature measurement and it is 400F (204C). That makes no sense to me unless you are baking corn muffins, and after 3 hours they would be corn bricks :)

With that grain bill and 5 imperial gallons (6 US gallons), my guess is the OG was at most 1.030. I have never made one that low, but that had to be one thin final beer.

May I ask how heavily you roasted your corn?

Back