malt question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weavka32

Reaction score
Ok, this may make me sound like a moron. But hey, the best way to learn is to make mistakes. I picked upp my ingredients for my Helles but when I got home I started to think I messed up. I bought my munich and vienna malts and the guy crushed them for me. But I am still only doing extracts and steeping grains. So my question is do I put my crushed grains in my grain bag and steep or do I need to do a mini mash? I do have 5lbs of extra light dme as well.

ForumRunner_20120622_152049.jpg

as well.

Can't say for sure without seeing grain bill, recipe size, expected OG. I'm guessing 5lbs. of extract is plenty for most 5g. brews though. If it were me I'd mini-mash and use less extract if necessary.

Munich and Vienna should be mashed. They have unconverted starches.

Thanks. I took a picture of the original bag to show what I had picked up. Any tips on how to mash on the cheap and with minimal equipment.

Thanks. I took a picture of the original bag to show what I had picked up. Any tips on how to mash on the cheap and with minimal equipment.

Pot, water, fire, crushed grain, stir a lot then, bring to mash temp for 1 hour, stir stir stir remove grain by any means (like a biab with no bag) bring to a boil.
JUst guessing never done it like that.
I will recommend BIAB it´s cheap and easy but I think you want something with no extra cost for you and I have no idea what you have.

weavka32 said:

Pick up a pack of 5 gal paint strainer bags from Home Depot or Lowes. I think they are less than 5 bucks. Refer to DeathBrewers sticky at the top of this section of HBT for an easy BIAB partial mash technique. if you are worried about losing mash temp in your kettle, you can wrap it in some beach towels, that works for me.

Have fun!

You really only need a 30m mash, too. You'll have conversion by then. But you can do the full hour if you can hold temps.

Thanks guys. I have a 5 gal water cooler that I could use to hold the temps. Heading to depot now.

I am basically still doing the same thing I do when I steep the specialty grains, just for a little longer and a few degrees cooler.

Messed up my temps and had a poor conversion. A sweet wort went into the primary so beer will come out but....

Latest posts

Back