Malt preference poll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of malt do you use?

• Extract only

• Extract with steeped/mini-mash grains

• All grain

• Multiple methods

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Plus, I'm an unrelenting perfectionist, so I know I'm my own worst critic as well. It's good, though, it constantly pushes our art to a higher level. Brew on!

brackbrew said:
I think you hit the nail on the head. Plus, I'm an unrelenting perfectionist, so I know I'm my own worst critic as well. It's good, though, it constantly pushes our art to a higher level. Brew on!
brew-on bro! are you my evil twin?????? :p

brackbrew said:

Know what you mean dude! SWMBO gets hacked off with me saying my beer tastes funny, it isn't right, etc...

I suppose you can be too much of a perfectionist, but I find it a great challenge to keep trying for the beer that really impresses me. I keep asking myself, if I bought this in a real ale pub, would I be impressed or would I send it back?

We nipped to a Camra pub of the year pub last night and I had a pint of wychwood Dogs Bollocks.

My mate said, that tastes like the stuff you do. That'll do for me.
pumpclip_dogs_bollocks_2005.gif

Saying that though, they normally drink Strongbow. :rolleyes:

I just like screwing around with stuff. Ever since I got married (best thing I ever did, I swear) I've curtailed a lot of other activities so I invent stuff to do around the house. SWMBO leaves for Christmas with her family a week before I do, and I've pretty much got myself convinced I need to do a decoction mash once I've got the palace to myself, even though by all accounts it doesn't amount to much with today's fully modified grains.

not all true BeeGee! 'fests, bocks, alts, doppelbocks, even belgian brews will be much better from a decoction mash. helps bring out the maltiness in the beers.

DeRoux's Broux said:
not all true BeeGee! 'fests, bocks, alts, doppelbocks, even belgian brews will be much better from a decoction mash. helps bring out the maltiness in the beers.
Good point, although I don't don't do lagers I would like to get into some Belgians. And I don't see how a protein rest can really hurt anything as long as it's timed properly...might be able to get my eff. >75% one of these days.

do a bock and use the White Labs European Ale yeast on it, or the German Kolsch/Alt. not true to style, but can still eek out some maltiness w/ the decoction and cool fermenting.

DeRoux's Broux said:
do a bock and use the White Labs European Ale yeast on it, or the German Kolsch/Alt. not true to style, but can still eek out some maltiness w/ the decoction and cool fermenting.
Hmmm...I'm currently fermenting on Wyeast 1338 European Ale...would this be an acceptable substitute for this scenario?

Too lazy to read all posts imho all grain makes the best brews and I try to produce an ag batch at least 3 times PA. An extract recipe can produce a good beer given the right recipe, I get mine from Dave Lines Brew Beer Like those you buy. Kits can produce a good brew, i'd avoid the most popular manufacturer in favor of the brupaks range.

All-Grain for me.

I've never actually tried Extract brewing, but just went straight for AG. The reason for this was not really as much a matter of whether it'd be better (although I do believe it is) but more that for me, the reason for brewing in the first place has as much to do with wanting to go through the process as with actually seeing the beer done.

I'm a newbie, really - I've only got three brews behind me, but honestly, about AG - it is just not as difficult as a lot of people make it sound. I can understand the "excuse" of not having the time. It *does* take an entire day to do an AG, but the complexities are not overwhelming in my opinion.

As for what equipment costs . . . Well, you know, there are a lot who claim that you have to go all the way and spend a lot of money before you can brew good beer on AG, but my set-up is very simple indeed and it's the same set-up as I know homebrewers have brewed medal-winning beers on.

My own beer is excellent - sorry for the bragging, but it is! :) Much better than most beer I've bought, and I really do seek out the good stuff. SWMBO and myself have tried about 150 different bottled beers over the last year and a good number at our local pub, which always has 270+ different beers.

As for malt, I haven't tried that much, but so far I am very fond of:

Maris Otter Pale Malt

Caramel Red and Amber

Wheat Malt

Munich

Smoked Malt (though in small doses).

Cheers,

Jens-Kristian

I will be brewing my first batch in a few days and I'll be doing a partial grain - partial extract brew. Why not? What could be easier that throwning in a grain tea bag for a few before the water boils. I like beer with a complex, but smooth flavor and if I have read correctly one of the easiest ways to achieve this is to ad some grain to the pot. I am not as much of a beer 'snob' as most accomplished snobs on this board, but only because my home brew tasting is limited. If I can brew something 10% better than what I drink commercially for a fraction of the cost and all the satisfaction that comes with it. Partial Extract / Mashes will be all I need.

I started All-grain brewing on my third or fourth patch, so I really don't know any other way to brew. I use extract now and again for yeast starters, but that is about it. In my judging I have had amazing beers made from extract and all-grain. So I say learn all you can, watch the sanitation and have fun.

I am really biased about the difference fresh yeast makes. I thinki this calls for a poll!:ban:

All Grain all the way! After the initial capital investment, it's all gravy! I opened cans for nine years, and then was converted by a local brewer. I started AG in 99 and have not looked back since.

I'm trying to accumulate as much equipment as possible to do my first all-grain batch. I'm a 21 year old student so it's all getting done on the cheap! I'm nearly there, all I need is some kind of mash/lauter tun, which shouldn't be too difficult. I did my first mini-mash lager in a fairly thin plastic bucket wrapped with a blanket which wasn't ideal but I'm sure the beer will turn out OK. My main reason for going all-grain is the price, grains are just so cheap compared to cans of extract.

Just done my first AG batch...with Halycon Pale Malt...tasted great so I'm getting excited about AG now. But as I said earlier, you can produce great beer with any of the methods...extract, AG, kit....whatever floats ya boat.

All of my extract brews had a bad medicinal taste...which was my water...not the extract! Number one rule, get your water right since it is the main ingredient. I used 1/2 crushed campden tablet (thanks DAAB for the advice on that one) to remove the chlorine.

I just made the move from all extract to extract with partial grains. What a difference!

But you (original poster) said it: space and time. As much as I enjoy homebrewing (I actually make a lot more wine than beer), I still have lots of other hobbies and getting the equipment and having to go that extra step for all-grain brewing seems prohibitive now. Maybe in a few years...

ALL F-ING GRAIN!

50 Pounds of grain for $30
add some special grains fora few more bucks. So much variety. So much creativity!

I started partial mash, 4 or 5 batches, then went all grain. No looking back. Just as easy as partial and its your beer! No other like it. If you can brew with a burner, outside , then you need to do all grain. Dont be a wuss! :rockin:

ok, for you who say space, time, money.. etc.. excuses, excuse, excuses........

brew pot and burner cost about $75
a couple of food buckets with spigots cost about $30
make your own false bottom, spaghetti strainers work well
wort chiller will help another $75
after about 4 brews you make your money back

your beer willl be better, you will like brewing more.

you won't burn up your stove, piss the wife off by spilling on the floor, hmmm... what else..

I have never had a desire to do extract. It’s expensive and a bit of a cop out. I don’t mean to insult any else’s brewing method, it’s just that it’s not as difficult as some make it out to be. And jhudson, as far as being concerned about space, I can do 5 gallon batches with my setup and everything I have fits in the corner of my bedroom (I guess we all know that means “yes, I am single” ) I gathered equipment over the course of three months, acquiring it when I could find it for free or cheap. My first batch was all grain, it wasn’t great, but we that didn’t stop us from drinking up, and I learned a great deal from it. I like 2 row pale as a base malt; it converts easily, and is pretty versatile in that you can incorporate it as a base for a variety of styles.

nitro4040 said:
ALL F-ING GRAIN!

50 Pounds of grain for $30
Please tell me where you are getting 50lbs of grain for $30.00.
I like the point that all-grain is CHEAPER than extracts.
Also, 2 row converts so easily in a single infusion it really is not that big a deal. You will pay for your equipment in a few batches. I am currently making an excellent pale ale for about $0.25 per 12oz (not counting my time to make) and drinking it within two weeks.

Corbin said:
I have never had a desire to do extract. It’s expensive and a bit of a cop out. I don’t mean to insult any else’s brewing method,

That's like saying, "Your an idiot, but I mean that in the best possible way."

We don't look down on any brewing method around here.

-walker

Just tried All Grain on Labour Day Monday....and things didn't go as well as planned.
However, since I have the room now (I skipped the mini-mash step) I don't think I would go back to extract. I may change my mind if I screw up a few AGs - but overall it was much more fun and I learned a lot about a great hobby.

Cheers.

Well, since I don't have the extra room for AG equipment yet, I've stayed with extract brewing, but have begun doing partial mashes with each batch. While it doesn't satisfy my hunger for controling as much minutiae of the brewing process as possible, I do think you can have fun and be satisfied with trying to refine extract beers to as close a level as possible of an AG batch by knowing your techniques, knowing what's happening and why, and most simply, by just paying close attention to the brewing process from start to drink.

Extract brewing can require a high level of skill, knowledge and meticulousness, too. Especially if you want to be proud of what you create.

People who look down on extract brewing are missing the poetry and challenge of taking some uncontrolled brewing variables (starch conversion in the original brewer's malt, water chemistry of original wort before dehydration, packaging, etc) and taking it to a higher level.

Thank being said, I still look forward to getting into AG and really feeling the WHOLE process out. I'm not sure I'd completely give up brewing extract recipes, though especially if it's time-effective when I NEED to brew.

Just my two 'copper Lincolns.'

BREW ON:mug:

I have been brewing for about 1.5 yrs now. Had a knee replacement and needed a hobby. Well that's what I told my wife anyway. Have thought it would be fun from the first time I ran into a guy that brewed.

I don't know how many batches I have done. Probably one per week. I started with canned, then went grained extracts and have enjoyed both. It all depends on how much time and effort I want to put into it. Since any of these beer taste better than what is normally on the american market, it is a good thing.

I will probably move to AG one day but I am in no hurry to change anything. Brew then drink, brew then drink. I may be in a rut but I am happy.

I'm doing extract with steeping grains. My electric stove can boil 3 gallons, but starts to struggle around 5. I really don't want to bother with using a burner outside, especially since I don't have a garage and I'd just rather be in the house.

Take a look at my hot water kettle. It could be used for boiling the wort.
I had some great beers from the extract kits. But I did the $ math and figured AG was half the price.
Plus I liked the idea of building the kit and doing the full brew.

I generally make only Belgians. Tried AG a few times at my buddies house. I have no room for the equipment and it is a lot of extra work in my opinion. Very few experienced AG brewers have any idea mine are not AG. Guess I must be doing what I do correctly. My experience is the major difference in what the AG beer gives you is body and complexity. However if you adjust for this when you brew with extract and specialty grains you can make Belgians indistinguishable from AG.

:cross:

Corbin said:
I have never had a desire to do extract. It’s expensive and a bit of a cop out. .

I am just the opposite. I am presently enjoying one of my first home brews as I type, it is a porter with a nice mellow hint of choco-nut. Mmmm-mm!

I have no desire to do all grain. Ive sampled many of my friends extract/flavor grain brews and Ive been drinking the best store bought beers I can find and there is no comparison, home brew rocks! Now I have my own access to some fantastic brews with minimum hassel and it certianly costs much less than buying top shelf beer.

I can now do two 5 gal batches at a time and be done in a couple three hours and Ive prolly only spent a little over $200.00 on equipment including a simple corny setup.

I bought a couple kegs from the LHBS yesterday, he asked me if Im doing AG and I said no. He said "I dont anymore either, its too much work".. That is from a guy who has been doing home brew for a very long time.

Ive still got an incredible degree of control as well, when one considers all of the variables. Lots of grains, strains, and technical gains to be dabbled with in the extract/specialty grain variation. Those who enjoy All grain, more power to you, it just aint my cup-a-meat! Me, Id just assume wrap it up and get on with enjoying a cold one with one of my other hobbies.. I seriously doubt if Ill ever go all grain, but who knows??? :mug:

Buford said:
I'm doing extract with steeping grains. My electric stove can boil 3 gallons, but starts to struggle around 5. I really don't want to bother with using a burner outside, especially since I don't have a garage and I'd just rather be in the house.

I do my AG brewing in 2 brewpots splitting the boil right down the middle. This eliminates the need for an outdoor propane burner because a kitchen stove can handle a 3 gallon boil and that is all you need for a 5 gallon batch when you do two boils. I see no drawbacks with this method other than the extra effort splitting the boils up .

I started with extract and steeping grains, and moved to AG after 8-10 batches. AG is the best way to go, but I still brew the old extract recipes for my friends and family that came to enjoy them. I seriously doubt I will create anymore extract recipes though. I came up with this method because I was bored with extract brewing and wanted to try all grain, but it was the middle of winter and very cold.

I am just getting back into brewing after not brewing for 10 years. I see not much has changed, AG brewers are still quite snotty and snobby regarding those who don't do AG in my opinion from my observations. Just in reading this thread it is amazing how many AG brewers refer to anyone that brews non-AG as an extract kit brewer. Like if you are not AG you are viewed as some ignorant trailer trash who buys a beginner kit where you pour syrup into a hot water fermenter add some cold water and then pitch the package of dry yeast that came with the syrup can. Obviously brewers using extract and grains doing partial or mini-mash are quite sophisticated also, but are not shown much respect. I am not sure why.

I don't have anything against AG brewers but am curious as to why the superiority complex? Or maybe I am all wet.

I mainly have been using 2 row pale ale; either marris otter or great western then add in some crystal, honey, aromatic and anything that catches my fancy for a given brew session. I started about year ago with 2 batches of kits then 1 mini mash then AG from then on.

primary: none
secondary: none (argh!)
just bottled: Pale ale

Since my previous post in this thread I've done 5 partial mash batches. Last batch used 7.5 lbs of grain, 2.5 lbs of extract. I find doing a mash a whole hell of a lot more fun than just doing extract, or at least it is now that I've got my equipment numbers figured out. Last two batches I've nailed on calculated OG, so I must be doing something right.

Last batch used 6 lbs Maris Otter, I've never used it before. I've also started using Munich malt in my recipes. Mashing opens up your options.

I had to vote for extract/mini mash because it is so easy. I want to get into AG, but that will have to wait until I get the money to get set up right for it.

ive done 2 all grain so far..best beers yet but being summer now and i don't have as much free time i'm back to extracts...brown,porters and stouts in the winter and wheats ,ipa and pale ale in summer..low gravity in the summer i crashed my new rideing mower 2 weeks ago guess i better stick to the lighter sauce for the mowing season..

Using extract with a partial mash is, to me, a very efficient way to take a basic beer and add your own special touch. I would agree that all-grain is probably the best way and allows the most customization, but for a guy without much space, a compromise is the only way to go. Mixing and matching still allows me to make some pretty good beers. Here's hoping that someday I score enough space to create a nice setup and try out all-grain brewing.

Cheers and Happy Homebrewing.

Back