Malic acid and tannins for strongbow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethscider

Reaction score
I am currently making a batch of cider from store brought juice..

How much malic acid and tannin powder per gallon of cider? And when shoud i add these? I'm trying to make something similar to strongbow crisp.. any suggestions

Also any ideas of a recipe to follow to ger something similar to a strongbow crisp?

Thanks

You don't need to add either of those. If you do decide to add them the answer is it all depend upon the starting chemistry of your juice and where you are trying to get to for pH, acid, and tannin levels. Fiddling with these things is not difficult but is unnecessary until you have made a few batches consistently and want to start altering your recipe.

Also, beware any recipe that tells you to add a bunch of chemicals without very clearly stating all the particulars of the chemistry of the juice you are using.

Thanks greghark..

I should state that this is only my second batch so i think i may be jumping into to far. Just trying to make the best cider possible.. but you lost me at ph lol

I have heard of one specific amout of acidis and tannins on this forum but it was only an estimate and hadn't been tried.

I think the answer is "to taste", and it comes with experience. Each batch would be different depending on the characteristics of the juice you're using. Some people can estimate what a particular batch will need by tasting the raw cider before fermenting. My taste palette isn't that trained yet, even after many gallons. I have been adding some strong black tea for tannins in some batches just to get the experience of what difference it makes, and keeping notes.

Latest posts

Back