Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a batch bout 3/4 5gal bucket mixed in ginger with it to try to break down the starches more and to try to cover the taste of birnt rice bits. Bout how much liquid im gonna get? Anyone know?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Home Brew mobile app

Just a guess, but @ a gallon and a half with 10 lbs rice? My concern is that any burnt rice that made it to the bucket, you're going to taste it no matter what you put in to mask it. No idea what that taste would be, good or bad, but can't imagine a nice smoked oak flavor coming from it. lol. Good Luck.

Here is my batch. 2 weeks in. Thinking about draining it. Cold crashing it then bottling. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394022769.977695.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I got my ryr today.... how do I use it?

Crush it with your rice yeast balls and mix it in all at once, after your rice has cooled. I use 1 tbs of dry RYR per cup of dry rice, before the RYR has been crushed.

Crush it with your rice yeast balls and mix it in all at once, after your rice has cooled. I use 1 tbs of dry RYR per cup of dry rice, before the RYR has been crushed.

Exactly how I use it. A little goes a long way.

Good to know I was gonna go redneck and shoot all muh bullets at once.

Thanks again gents im cooking rice now... slow and painful 2 cups at a time.

Any differences for red over white? Temps... times.... X cetera ?

First ryr batch started. Was lazy crushed yeast ball between thimb and forefinger. Ryr four pinches likewise.

After 2 days mine has a decent amount of liquid on top ... Is this normal?

You might sterilize a spoon or something and stir it a bit. I've had sweet rice make a glue-like "Plug" before where liquid couldn't drop down and CO2 couldn't escape.

Hard to tell from the pic but, it looks like all is well. Very similar to what I've seen before. No weird colors or growths. How long has it been going?

Any differences for red over white? Temps... times.... X cetera ?
Not really, the wine is very different though. The RYR produces a much fruitier, and less tangy wine. The RYR it's self produces the fruit flavor. It also seems to inhibit the growth of acetobacter in the batch.

I've had good success with using the lees from a RYR batch to do another batch. You do have to mix the lees in with new cooled rice immediately after harvesting. No stashing it in the fridge or anything like that. Trying to do that with white rice wine has produced wine, but generally it's more acid in it then I would like.

3 days... There is some white fuzz on top
Here's a picture of what I consider normal mold growth on the top of a RYR batch. The mold is normal on white rice wine batches too, it's just a lot harder to see. The red gives it a good contrast.

Gray-green or orange mold is bad. Sometimes black mold is bad, sometimes it's the koji fruiting body and is fine.

08 Homemade RYR Experiment 05 three weeks oddity.jpg

We just had about 3 ounces each of the harvested-Monday rice wine, warmed up slightly in the MW. It's so dang good.

ONE of the two 750ml bottles opens with a very considerable POP! every day. The other one has a slight pop to it but nothing compared to the first. Also, when that first one POPS - it causes the solids to self-mix with the clearer top liquid. Anyone else having this happen?

I think I'm going to pasteurize these in the next day or so - have more ready to harvest tomorrow, and more next week, so I can see that the two of us won't be able to keep up with the production! PLUS there is homebrew in the house, and some in the conditioning chamber, AND we're brewing this weekend. :)

3 days... There is some white fuzz on top

Perfect. That sounds exactly right. Just keep that lid on and make sure no nastiness get in. In about 14-17 more days there'll be so much alcohol produced that the fuzzy good mold will be all gone.

What kind of volumes are we talking about for a 1 gallon container? I keep reading all through the thread, but see very little about specific recipes? I plan to use Jasmine Rice, and yeast balls.

I bought a 1 gal Mason jar, drilled the lid and added an airlock. Fit the sleeve of a sweater over it to block light, and keep warm. Just need an idea of how much rice(dry) to how many Yeast balls. Yeast is from jak1010, not sure about how big they are?

What kind of volumes are we talking about for a 1 gallon container? I keep reading all through the thread, but see very little about specific recipes? I plan to use Jasmine Rice, and yeast balls.

I bought a 1 gal Mason jar, drilled the lid and added an airlock. Fit the sleeve of a sweater over it to block light, and keep warm. Just need an idea of how much rice(dry) to how many Yeast balls. Yeast is from jak1010, not sure about how big they are?

I have been putting six dry cups in a one gallon container along with three balls, yields a little over two quarts of wine.

I had another batch set to harvest today - but it's the batch where I really packed the rice into the half-gallon jug. It showed very little liquid, so I spooned the rice out into a large bowl, broke it up (and it was still very much grains, not just mush) and put it into a gallon jug, and back in the cooler. I'm gonna give it another week and see how it looks.

Mine has been fermenting in the 60 to 64* range and doing just splendidly. VERY little formation of anything fuzzy on top, no off odors, and the wine we did harvest on Monday past is really good. And, those two bottles continue to ferment in the fridge, which the bottom shelf is just about 40*. I get a very hearty POP! off especially one of them when I decork it every day.

Pretty happy with my rice wine farm! :D

Does cold crashing work for rice wine?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back