Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of my batches have a kind of "peak" alcohol aroma. Usually in the middle of the fermentation process, and they then calm down during week 3. It doesn't seem to effect the final flavor significantly.

You are actually on the cool side for rice wine, so you might not have as good of a conversion efficiency as you might want.

I also want to steal your laser thermometer. :mug:

I'm seriously considering getting a seedling heat mat and hooking it up with my DorkFoods sous vide controller and setting the temp for 68* or so, inside the cooler.

We currently own 2 of the DorkFoods controllers but I'm not able to sous vide cook with them because KotC has commandeered BOTH of them - one runs the brew belt to keep the ferment at a steady temp and the other runs a brew mat to keep the conditioning chest running at a steady temp for carbonating our bottles!

I just ordered a third controller but now suspect that too is going to be used for brew purposes, specifically the rice wine, and I STILL won't be able to do any sous vide cooking! :cross:

Man am I REALLY gonna have to order a fourth one???

As for the laser temp taker - it's actually infrared with a laser "spotter" on it - they're not very expensive, got this one on Amazon for about $22! Go getcha one!

What is ARL? I've seen it referenced but haven't found the post with an explanation, thanks

It's an abbreviation for Angel Rice Leaven, which is a dry rice wine yeast.

http://en.angelyeast.com/products/FoodIngredients/WineYeast2.html

Angel_Rice_Leaven_Chinese_Sweet_Rice_Wine.jpg

I just squeezed out a few jars of wine that I had added water and yeast to to ferment out longer .
The sweet white rice came out ( before cold crashing to remove crap ) fairly good tasting . I think I may have added too much water as it was a bit weak but did not taste bad like the other stuff I made . This is the stuff in fridge at 61 degrees .
The mixed black and white I think tasted okay also but is also weak I think
The black has way too much crap in it to try right now . It came out very thick as far as wine is concerned . After it settles I will try it .
The last black i made without extra water was good . Kind of like cranberry juice watered down .

Here is something to ponder on .
The jar on left is black & white rice . this is actually the dirty part settling out again after cold crashing the whole jar and is a watermelon juice color .
the one in middle is black rice after cold crashing . It is nice and clean and is red .
The jar on right is the strange one . Notice how only about a 1/8 inch has separated after being in fridge . This is black rice also but came out quite thick with dissolved rice that just does not want to settle out .
the jar in middle was done with the usual amount of water and the one on right had water and yeast added to it . it came out quite mushy and obviously squeezed through the filter bag .
Picture 014.jpg

I had a brainstorm. I started a batch using oatmeal. I also a batch using instant grits. I have no idea how this will taste. I also have no idea if I should add this post here.

Yes I did. I thought about using some lees from a batch of rice wine. However I thought that a fresh yeast ball would be best. Anyways we will know in a week or so if it works and in three weeks if it's something sailors would turn down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Home Brew mobile app

So I tasted the jar on the right in my pics that would not separate . It separated about a quarter inch so far . it tastes good , black rice has a good flavor , but it has that sting I am sure is from fusels from being fermented too warm before I tossed it in the fridge . Oh well now I know . fridge it all from the start.

I've had a couple wine bottles full loosely capped in the fridge since @ Christmas time. One is wine from just sweet rice, the other is made with sweet rice with RYR in it. I went to pour a glass last night and the one made without the RYR had gone bad, while the one with the RYR in it still tasted just fine. While not a good scientific standard with just one bottle each, it made me wonder if the RYR has anything to do with keeping it from going bad? I know my Chinese friends use it and let their bottles sit for months and months at room temp.

I checked my "fermentation chamber" today - the one I made a little over a week ago, sweet rice in the gallon container, has a lot of clear/yellowish liquid at the bottom, no signs of any infection, volume of rice has gone down considerably. I haven't taken the lid off it at all. TWO more week, c'mon!

The other two jars in there were started on the 14th - one each of sweet rice and jasmine rice in half gallon Mason jars with coffee filters/rubber bands for "lids" - I picked one up and tilted it ever so slightly, not on purpose - and the filter got wet instantly! Removed it and there is clear liquid at the TOP of the jar. I got a paper cup and poured out a little, maybe an ounce, then dried the jar and put a new filter on it.

Tasted that stuff and ODG is that stuff GOOD! Quite sweet still but has such a great flavor to it. Man if the finished product comes out with even a hint of that flavor/sweetness - I will never be without rice brewing! :) Not sure if it was the sticky rice one or the jasmine rice one, I forgot to check the label before I put it back to bed.

This is such fun!

Just bottled my latest batch. Jasmine rice, flavored at bottling with pineapple coconut juice. After dinner I'll pasteurize and keep in the refrigerator for at least 2-3 months before opening. I've found with the process I've been using, it's well worth the wait. It turns out amazing. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392769920.207335.jpg

Just bottled my latest batch. Jasmine rice, flavored at bottling with pineapple coconut juice. After dinner I'll pasteurize and keep in the refrigerator for at least 2-3 months before opening. I've found with the process I've been using, it's well worth the wait. It turns out amazing. View attachment 180413
Thanks Wes, now I'm going to have to start several more batches so I can have a pipeline! How much juice are you using?

Thanks Wes, now I'm going to have to start several more batches so I can have a pipeline! How much juice are you using?

I usually just add to taste, but with the amount of wine I harvested this time I just dumped the entire container in. Here's a couple pointers for anyone that wants to use the same juice. The reason I wait so long to drink it is because at first you mainly just taste the pineapple, but after a couple months the coconut comes through a lot more and it just tastes amazing. After that amount of time, the solids have settled a whole lot so it's easy to drink just the clear wine on top. And trust me, you don't want to drink the solids from a batch using this juice. For whatever reason, it tastes like hairspray. Also, maybe because of a couple of other ingredients in the juice, it forms a bunch of goopy stuff when mixed with the rice wine. I just bottle it with the goop and it just settles out over time. It looks very strange with all the goopy stuff, but it clears up nicely and turns out great over time.

Damn....The pineapple coconut juice combo sounds friggin great. Definitely going to try it.

I was wanting to eat spaghetti grits and oat casserole with fish sauce but now I just want to puke .

Well I wanted to see how this stuff would break down. The ingredients are cheap. I like cheap and making things that others say cannot or should not be done.

Damn....The pineapple coconut juice combo sounds friggin great. Definitely going to try it.

It works well with this wine. I think the next experiment I will do with the next batch is adding just coconut, no pineapple.

The oatmeal is fuzzy. The spaghetti got fuzzy. The grits are not fuzzy.

the jar I had that would not separate is still not doing so even after I poured it through a brass coffee filter to remove some of the solids . How ever I did remember why it did this . This is the black rice that I ran through the grain mill to break up the hull . In doing so i guess it made the rice to fine ground and so the yeast really ate it up. I hope it will separate as it tastes quite good .

Anyone got a link to the pastorizing again?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Got a new batch started tonight. I'm going to pasteurize and bottle cap my after 4 weeks. I might add some pineapple too

Got a new batch started tonight. I'm going to pasteurize and bottle cap my after 4 weeks. I might add some pineapple too

Nice! Once you start with this stuff, it goes right into rotation if you're an avid brewer. Even if not a brewer, you'll most likely be making it often.

Nice! Once you start with this stuff, it goes right into rotation if you're an avid brewer. Even if not a brewer, you'll most likely be making it often.

This is my second batch.

This stuff has about turned me into a wino! I've brewed a total of only @ 12 gallons of beer this year, but between this rice wine and other wines I've been making, I'm somewhere @ 52 gallons of wine made or in process. It's only February! lol. I have lots and lots of cases of beer bottles, but now I can't pass the brew shop without picking up more wine bottles.

Here in Oklahoma, you're allowed to make 200 gallons per adult in the household per year. (Legally) Something tells me I'll be working on my wife's 200 gallons before mid year. lol.

Day 24 spaghetti and potato finished
Since it is 8:00 am I will not be swallowing.

First the spaghetti:
Color: Cloudy urine.
Smell: Not bad but not great. Very alcoholic. A faint grainy smell. Many floral beer like smells much like a trappist ale or maybe a lambic. Almost smells like a bowl of Wheaties. The smell makes me wish it had some hops in it. A rather sweet floral citrusy smell.
Taste: Also not bad but not great. Drinkable...I think. Quite sweet. Floral notes. Lots of citrusy notes like orange juice. Lots of citrusy aftertaste. Lots of body. Very citrusy like a mixture of orange, lemon, and maybe pineapple juice. A taste almost like several day old Mountain Dew. Has a strong mouth bite but not in an alcoholic way.
Conclusion: Not something I will be doing again. Produced a drinkable product but its just not my thing. But for others this might be worth doing some more investigating.

Potato:
Color: The color of lemon juice.
Smell: Very paint like. Smells exactly like my wife's finger nail polish with a little bit of rotten egg mixed in. I should not have smelled it as hard as I did. Wasn't sure if I was going to survive it. Kind of nauseating.
Taste: It was very hard to bring myself to taste it. When I did taste it I actually gagged and almost vomited.
Conclusion: Nasty! Disgusting!

Epilogue: For others that are interested the spaghetti might be ok. I strongly advise everyone to not make the potato. However, YMMV.

Well mine didnt come out like that... It tasted like pickles. Not good not bad. If I were too broke to buy rice I would do this.

So my new batch I started a course days ago has a blackish moldy looking on top of it. What do I do?

So my new batch I started a course days ago has a blackish moldy looking on top of it. What do I do?

did you use ryr or some other red or black rice ?
Anyway just peel it off and stir it up . Stirring will stop the mold from taking hold . Maybe you have it a little too warm ?

did you use ryr or some other red or black rice ?

Anyway just peel it off and stir it up . Stirring will stop the mold from taking hold . Maybe you have it a little too warm ?

Regular jasmine rice.

Can you snap a pic of it? Sometimes it's fine and once the alcohol level rises high enough, it all dies off. I sometimes get no mold, sometimes I get a nice "snowy" white fuzzy mold, and sometimes I get mold that has a slight darkness to it. I don't think it effects the flavor (since I often add flavors like fruit juice) but it's nothing to worry about unless it's green and or in very large quantities.

I need to find a faster way to cook large amounts of rice. I also would like to try a batch with ryr.

Back