Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried two asian food stores and have had no luck finding yeast balls...they're Korean food stores so maybe that's why? The yeast balls seem to just be a chinese product. I did however find a bag labeled enzyme. The ingredients just say enzyme and there's a warning that says "It is prohibited to make wine for sale by the law." So I figured I must be able to make something with it, right?? Anyone know if I can use this in place of the yeast balls, how much I would use, and do I still need mold in addition or is just the enzyme necessary?

Oh, and I have a rice cooker...is that the same as a steamer? I'm guessing it's not since the water just gets put in with the rice and then I hit a button.

DSC04664_zps825a7409.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Not sure what that is but, I'd say give it a try. It's not going to cost that much right? It's worth the couple of $ to try it out. Check out this link. Interesting info on Solid State Fermentation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23223910/

not a mix. 1 jar is noodles, 1 jar is potato. They are both liquefying. The liquid in the noodle jar looks funny. Looks almost like oil. I took the lids off and smelled them. They both smell very alcoholic. The potato one definitely smells better than the noodle.

This sounds very interesting. If they can produce vodka from potatoes, why not wine?

I need help please I made a small batch 5 days ago and still have no change in the jar. Zero liquid. Yeast still dry. I used 2 cups sushi rice and 2 yeast balls.

I can't see the very top of the jar but do you have a piece of cheesecloth or some type of spacer on the lid?

How does it look today?

so i finally went for it. i used 2 lbs of long grain rice [it's what we had], and about 8 cups of water. i didn't rinse/ wash it, as i read that washing it removes starches, and we want those starches to convert to sugars. could be pseduo-science, but it's already done. i used two yeast balls and it's been in my room which is around 70 degrees. the left picture is right after i assembled my 1 gallon jar, and the right picture is about 72 hours in. i'm excited, it looks like i already have about a quart of wine. it smells amazing, and the little bit i tasted was pretty sweet.

Am I reading this right? You started it and it's finished at 72hrs? Or is that 72hrs another batch?

I need help please I made a small batch 5 days ago and still have no change in the jar. Zero liquid. Yeast still dry. I used 2 cups sushi rice and 2 yeast balls.

Looks from the picture like maybe you didn't mix the crushed yeast balls in with the rice very evenly. I see a huge pocket of what appears to be powdered yeast.

I've tried two asian food stores and have had no luck finding yeast balls...they're Korean food stores so maybe that's why? The yeast balls seem to just be a chinese product. I did however find a bag labeled enzyme. The ingredients just say enzyme and there's a warning that says "It is prohibited to make wine for sale by the law." So I figured I must be able to make something with it, right?? Anyone know if I can use this in place of the yeast balls, how much I would use, and do I still need mold in addition or is just the enzyme necessary?

Oh, and I have a rice cooker...is that the same as a steamer? I'm guessing it's not since the water just gets put in with the rice and then I hit a button.
I'm betting everything you need iS in there. I'd crush up a tablespoon or two of it for two cups of dry rice, and give it a try.

And I used a rice cooker for my first batch; it worked fine. Second batch was too big for it, so after soaking overnight I just rinsed the rice, threw in a pot along with a cup or two of water, and stuck it on a burner. The rice didn't seem to mind....

My first batches, the white wasn't fully cold and was more evenly mixed, the red I allowed the rice to cool over night and the bottom half didn't get much blended into it but the top has bled down. The red is a day and a half behind the white but both are looking good!

IMG_1528.jpg

Damn that was fast. You went from wanting to do a batch, to having two batches going, in 3 days. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this stuff.

What is the longevity of the rice wine. I have it in a wine bottle with a cork. How long does it last?

You might be ok. I don't actually start see liquid pooling in mine for 7 days or so. I think I make my rice drier than most.

What is the longevity of the rice wine. I have it in a wine bottle with a cork. How long does it last?

Your mileage may vary. I would say you need to experiment with your batches. Some will turn into rice vinegar after a while but some on here claim keeping it for months. Mine is usually all ingested within a week or two.

Your mileage may vary. I would say you need to experiment with your batches. Some will turn into rice vinegar after a while but some on here claim keeping it for months. Mine is usually all ingested within a week or two.

If you bottle and cap it should it last longer?

It will either last longer.. or become a bottle bomb. Somebody on here posted a pic of their whole fridge shelving wiped out by one of these exploding.

So I would say lightly corked?

I bottle mine in swing top bottles, pasteurize and then keep them in the refrigerator. I'm able to keep them for months like this. The wine really smooths out over that time and is very enjoyable. Haven't had a sour bottle or a bomb yet. It would probably keep for a whole lot longer but I can't stop myself from drinking it when it's that good. :D I'll probably experiment with this latest batch and see how it is after a year.

DSC04664_zps825a7409.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That enzyme is for making a Korean rice wine called makkoli. Look into it. I tried and failed with it. Made a very sour nasty product.

chinese age the stuff for up to ten years . They pasteurize it first .
Keep it in the fridge .i keep dandelion wine in their . This batch over a year . But I drop in a little bit of campden tablet now and then

I bottle mine in swing top bottles, pasteurize and then keep them in the refrigerator. I'm able to keep them for months like this. The wine really smooths out over that time and is very enjoyable. Haven't had a sour bottle or a bomb yet. It would probably keep for a whole lot longer but I can't stop myself from drinking it when it's that good. :D I'll probably experiment with this latest batch and see how it is after a year.

What do you mean pasteurize? Explain please

Someone at some point in time was going to try to brew beer with with these yeast balls but I don't think it ever happened.
I remember that. I think the person doing it said it didn't go well. They had a blowout and ended with a beer they didn't like.

This was the latest I could find...

So I tried the last runnings beer with yeast ball pitch today. Don't know what the OG was. Probably pretty low. It taste very similiar to the daddy batch pitched with notty. I'll keg both seperately on the same day this weekend and carb and do a taste test again. It tore through it in a couple days, even blowing over during primary phase. Notice the familiar yeast cake at the bottom.

Just sent him a PM asking him to update us! I'm really curious.

Looks from the picture like maybe you didn't mix the crushed yeast balls in with the rice very evenly. I see a huge pocket of what appears to be powdered yeast.

Don't worry about the crush. kako used twice as much yeast as I did and I just put one ball in whole
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f243/m...un-different-361095/index339.html#post5856446

Just put it somewhere at least room temperature and dark and RDWHAHB :) Worst case you pitch it, you are out very little time and money, then start asking questions and try again.

Okay here is what happened to ryr and white rice after just a few days in fridge at 61 degrees . nice stuff . Used some extra water in this batch and it dropped to the bottom very quickly . this is on top of the rice floating on top .

Picture 008.jpg

Every time I've had a batch of mold like that, it made the wine taste bad. It would even change the color of the rice where it touched it. I'd remove that and the underlying layer as quickly as possible.. were I you.

About the wheat beer with yeast balls, Stevo said, "It turned out sour on a small batch but it could have been contamination. Worth another try."

Every time I've had a batch of mold like that, it made the wine taste bad. It would even change the color of the rice where it touched it. I'd remove that and the underlying layer as quickly as possible.. were I you.

not sure that is mold . After removing it I noticed that it is not mold like . it is very tough with the feel of wet paper . Probably starches . Perhaps floated to the top because of all the excess water I added . It is white . The pink and dark colors were from the red and black rice that was right under it . I had added in about a cup of black rice that I had left over from last batch.
I definitely added too much water . I might end up dropping in a pound of sugar to compensate for that water to alcohol ratio.

edit : I was thinking maybe that tough white stuff is blocking gases from exiting since it is quite rubbery and also stopping air flow and causing nasties to grow .

new pic . It has separated quickly . rice is steady falling to bottom . I am guessing that after it falls it is going to be consumed by the yeast . . No real gas activity yet .
I also stirred this up real good after removing the layer from the top .

Picture.jpg

new pic . It has separated quickly . rice is steady falling to bottom . I am guessing that after it falls it is going to be consumed by the yeast . . No real gas activity yet .
I also stirred this up real good after removing the layer from the top .

What kind of container and lid is that? Are you fermenting in a refrigerator?

What kind of container and lid is that? Are you fermenting in a refrigerator?

that is a two gallon glass jar . Git it at kmart but walmart also has them I hear. Quite heavy thick glass . good jar . 15 bucks I think . found it in the kitchen section . It is built kind of like a crock pot .
I have it in the fridge at 61 degrees ( johnson controller ) . The stuff on top jsut appeared to be from using lots of water and not rinsing the rice after cooking but letting it cool in pan . I think it is just the starchy stuff that gets rinsed off after cooking in some recipes . After inspecting it I found it was not mold .

that is a two gallon glass jar . Git it at kmart but walmart also has them I hear. Quite heavy thick glass . good jar . 15 bucks I think . found it in the kitchen section . It is built kind of like a crock pot .
I have it in the fridge at 61 degrees ( johnson controller ) . The stuff on top jsut appeared to be from using lots of water and not rinsing the rice after cooking but letting it cool in pan . I think it is just the starchy stuff that gets rinsed off after cooking in some recipes . After inspecting it I found it was not mold .

Marcus does it smell sweet and like a good fermintation? usually when it stinks bad thats when you want to pitch it. i bet your right about the added water and the cap alot of guys on here have noticed a cap forming on larger batches. i personally dont belive the added water is a bad thing as several people with chines friends say they add water to get rid of that sickning sweetness the stuff i sent you had alot of cider put in it on several stages and it went for a very long ferment and turned out much drier and no sour at all.

Gar; No it does not smell bad at all in fact I can not really smell it . Seems to be going along nicely now with plenty of activity .
I did add a lot of water to it . But after cooling off it seemed like it was way too sticky and I was planning on using extra water for a test since it kicked off the second fermentation on my other jars . It should come out okay .

Back