Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I asked this earlier, but I can't find it. Is there a way to reduce the milky portion of the wine? I find I enjoy the clear portion more.
Cold crashing helps with separation. So does pasteurization. I tried bentonite powder, that didn't work very well.

I has occured to me that letting it drip through a coffee filter would probably reduce the particulates a great deal, though I haven't tried this.

Cold crashing helps with separation. So does pasteurization. I tried bentonite powder, that didn't work very well.

I has occured to me that letting it drip through a coffee filter would probably reduce the particulates a great deal, though I haven't tried this.

I have two batches that will be ready Sunday, I'll try the coffee filter. Pasteurization does make it separate, I was just hoping to produce more clear and less milk overall somehow.

5cups black Thai 5 cups Thai Jasmine yield about a gallon. A little more fruity than plain Jasmine. Decided to give it a couple seconds in the microwave ( was thinking of traditional heated sake) it seemed to really smooth and round out the flavors!

ForumRunner_20130621_151130.jpg

I have two batches that will be ready Sunday, I'll try the coffee filter. Pasteurization does make it separate, I was just hoping to produce more clear and less milk overall somehow.
I decided to try this with some red rice wine right after posting. I put about 3 cups of red rice wine in a coffee filter inside of a colander. In about two hours only about 1 cup of liquid has made it through. I'll leave it overnight and see how it is in the morning.

If you figure out a faster way with the coffee filter, please share. I don't get it, I can brew a 12cup pot of coffee in 10 mins but rice wine takes hours!!!

I would be cold crashing mine but no room in the fridge, I may have to try the filter as there is just a small about inch size line at the tip thats cleared

I started drinking my "Sushi Rice" wine, after just one week. And it is quite a bit less sweet than 1wk old "Thai Glutinous Rice" wine, and much more alcoholic. Perhaps it is room temp; I live in the SW mountains, and room temp is now swinging from 70-80 (no A/C).

They shipped my order of 25lbs of Glutinous Rice. OH BOY!!!!

If you figure out a faster way with the coffee filter, please share. I don't get it, I can brew a 12cup pot of coffee in 10 mins but rice wine takes hours!!!
I think the filter just gets clogged with all the particulates. Maybe a filter that doesn't filter down to such a small particulate size, like a course wine filter, would work better.

You think a fine sieve is to big?
I suppose it would depend on how you did your harvesting. I squeeze mine through a clean tea towel. That's already a finer filter then a fine sieve.

You know, I do have a white polyester weave pillowcase I don't care about around here someplace. I bet that would be just about right. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: I couldn't find that, but I did find some similar scrap fabric. I'll try that as a filter media and see how it works.

I think the filter just gets clogged with all the particulates. Maybe a filter that doesn't filter down to such a small particulate size, like a course wine filter, would work better.

For anyone using cloth, make sure your 'filter' is damp before you start. The filtering process goes much smoother.

I use a medium mesh filter bag tucked inside a fine mesh bag. This is after I transferred it thru the coarse filter mesh bag. I also found that if you chill the entire batch and then harvest, you do not get as much milky wine. But, I really like the milky wine. I wonder if a colder fermentation would impact the clarity of the resulting rice wine?

There are bags used in essential oil/herbal/other extractions, called 'bubble bags, ice bubble bags' and you literally layer the bags inside each other with the extraction getting finer & finer as you go. I bet they would be great to use.

WMBrews--any chance you can post a photo of what the black thai rice, the dry rice, looks like?

Upon reading, it seems that there are two common black rice(s), is rices a word, out there. One is short, smooth, oval, polished & the other is longer, skinny, not as polished. I believe the first is called Chinese Black Rice, aka Forbidden or Emperor's Rice; the other is the black Thai (?jasmine) rice can contain rice kernels that are varying shades, black-dark brown-tan-white. So, if I read all of the black rice info correctly it would seem the black Thai rice would be a good choice, but would Forbidden Rice work? Anyone?? I have Forbidden Rice waiting to be cooked.

Very good article "3 Rice Wines in China, Their History, Processes and Products", loads of info.

http://www.jiangnan.edu.cn/zhgjiu/u3-1.htm

Wow, that's a great article on the history and manufacture of Rice Wine and distilled spirits in China. Interesting that Aspergillis and Rhyzopus are identified in the wheat koji as being the parallel fermentation agents for converting the long chain starches into glucose for the yeast.

I guess the commercial modern parallel to this would be using alpha-amylase enzyme powder and gluco-amylase enzyme powder to break down the rice to glucose and/or fructose yeast food.

The long, cold, step fermentation with lager-esq yeast is also interesting. Again, presumed to give the cold tolerant yeast a competitive advantage and reduce off flavors, creating a cleaner, less fruity flavor profile.

Very cool article. Can't wait to read more of it.

This is such a long thread I've become a little overwhelmed with information, and perhaps a little confused. So I need a short answer please:

I just drained my wine into two 1QT mason jars. Should I now be aging this? If so, how and where? Loose lid with more sanitized cheese cloth and leave it on the counter? How long or what are the measurable criteria to determine duration?

Once aged, I don't plan to pasteurize.

This is such a long thread I've become a little overwhelmed with information, and perhaps a little confused. So I need a short answer please:

I just drained my wine into two 1QT mason jars. Should I now be aging this? If so, how and where? Loose lid with more sanitized cheese cloth and leave it on the counter? How long or what are the measurable criteria to determine duration?

Don't age it unless you're trying for rice wine vinegar. Put it in the fridge and enjoy it.

Don't age it, just drink it!

Be careful with sealing it as it still slowly ferments a bit after straining. Burp it or leave the lid a little loose.

sonofgrok said:
Don't age it, just drink it!

I took a share off for a taste and put it in a small desert wine glass so I could see it better. I put that in the fridge to get to about 50F. It separated quite a bit in just a little while. Since it was already in the glass (up to the top) I didn't mix it. The clear liquid at the top was very tart and my wife didn't like it. I was reserving judgement. When I got to the "cream" below it was significantly improved. I take it that this should be stirred prior to serving.

TBBrewer said:
Be careful with sealing it as it still slowly ferments a bit after straining. Burp it or leave the lid a little loose.

I've found that the plastic storage lids for mason jars don't actually seal so well. If you shake the bottle with the lid on your fingers will soon be wet. I figure that's enough to let the co2 escape and avoid carbonation, or worse, explosion!

JuanMoore said:
Don't age it unless you're trying for rice wine vinegar. Put it in the fridge and enjoy it.

How long before you have vinegar? I lost track of how long I had this on the counter. May have been a month. May have been longer. It's not as sweet and aromatic as my smaller test batch, which unfortunately wasn't made with the same rice so I have too many variables for comparison. Maybe the tartness is the beginning of the vinegar? The clear liquid at the top after settling isn't necessarily vinegar, right?

This batch was made with 8 cups of jasmine rice and 4 yeast balls. I rolled the rice into balls and rolled those in the crushed yeast. All were neatly arranged in a glass jar which I left on the counter (not dark). Room temperature probably ranged from 75 - 85 deg. I live in S. Mississippi so keeping it cooler for any period is prohibitively expensive.

Folks have been making wild grape wines here for a couple hundred years, well before A/C came around. So I figured higher temps can't be all that troublesome.

Thai Black Rice wine, back sweetened this one and it brought out a nice plumb and apple flavor. And I wish I had a way to know if this sweet black rice has more sugar than the regular jasmine but it sure as heck seems way stronger! I may try back sweetening with lactose to see how it effects mouthfeel. Sara this is a pic of my Thai Black Jasmine.

ForumRunner_20130622_161324.jpg

ForumRunner_20130622_161207.png

I just harvested a batch yesterday using 5 cups of jasmine rice with 2 yeast balls and 1/4 cup of RYR. I let it go 28 days and it turned out great. This is my sweetest yet, it has a pronounced tropical fruit flavor with substantial fruit notes and about the amount of alcohol character one would find in a tawny port. I was hoping for a drier flavor, but I am happy with the outcome.

Here's what I got using the coffee filter and the polyester fabric remnant. The polyester was much more effective at filtering, allowing only a small amount of solids to pass through. The coffee filter allowed many more solids to remain. The polyester also clogged to the point that there was about a 1/2 cup of liquid left stuck in the filter. The coffee filter did not clog and allowed all of the liquid to pass through.

Both of these filter where setup within an hour, and where left for over a day. Neither filter was particularly fast.

The flavor of the wine filtered through the coffee filter was essentially unaffected. There was a slight decrease in the sweetness, but it wasn't significant. The wine filtered through the polyester is substantially less sweet, and not as overtly fruity.

My personal conclusion is that I will probably use coffee filters again. I always end up with some wine with so many particulates in it that it's fairly thick and not particularly pleasant. I will try filtering that through coffee filters and see if the result is more to my liking.

rrwfilter1.jpg

rrwfilter2.jpg

rrwfilter3.jpg

With 157 pages of comments I hope nobody has already asked and answered this already, but here goes:

What if you wanted to turn this into rice wine vinegar for cooking? Do you strain the rice and then just leave it out in the air until it turns sour?

With 157 pages of comments....What if you wanted to turn this into rice wine vinegar for cooking? Do you strain the rice and then just leave it out in the air until it turns sour?

The answer is yes. I have been advised to tuck one away in bottom of pantry, cap loose 1/8 turn, use an 'all clear' version, no solids. It will start to get darker as it oxidizes and becomes vinegar. It can take months, but becomes more vinegar-y as time progresses.

Fuzzymitten...thank you for photo of the thai black rice. I do have Chinese black rice, Forbidden rice, on hand. Guess we will see how it does. Will be making coconut milk rice pudding too!!

Zak...definitely try your rice wine with the residual solids stirred in. Plus, it does get better (hard to imagine) as it ages, if it lasts that long. I do batch pasteurize though.

TBB....here is a description of Lotus Foods Madagascar Pink Rice, "elusively aromatic of cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg". Sounds lovely just for rice!!

I took a share off for a taste and put it in a small desert wine glass so I could see it better. I put that in the fridge to get to about 50F. It separated quite a bit in just a little while. Since it was already in the glass (up to the top) I didn't mix it. The clear liquid at the top was very tart and my wife didn't like it. I was reserving judgement. When I got to the "cream" below it was significantly improved. I take it that this should be stirred prior to serving.

I personally shake mine up before pouring or drinking.

Question -- has anyone mixed Angel Rice Leaven and RYR AND some of the Vietnamese yeast balls? Would that be overkill? I have approximately 5-6 cups (rice cooker cups, dry) of cooked rice cooling in the fridge and I'm ready to start my second attempt (first attempt didn't turn out so well...) I have two packets of ARL, and two bags of RYR, as well as multiple bags of the Vietnamese yeast balls (approximately pea sized, about 10 per pack.) I was thinking of using the Vietnamese yeast and RYR, when I looked in my bag of yeast and saw the ARL and remembered ordering it.

Question -- has anyone mixed Angel Rice Leaven and RYR AND some of the Vietnamese yeast balls? Would that be overkill? I have approximately 5-6 cups (rice cooker cups, dry) of cooked rice cooling in the fridge and I'm ready to start my second attempt (first attempt didn't turn out so well...) I have two packets of ARL, and two bags of RYR, as well as multiple bags of the Vietnamese yeast balls (approximately pea sized, about 10 per pack.) I was thinking of using the Vietnamese yeast and RYR, when I looked in my bag of yeast and saw the ARL and remembered ordering it.

Newsman: I've mixed the ARL and yeast balls and added sugar to a batch and it was great! Did I ship you the yeast balls with the bird (I think its a crane) or the deer (or Stag or some animal with antlers) on it? I can't remember which one I shipped you. The batch I made was with the deer on it. Really strong and with the sugar, pleasantly sweet.

Newsman: I've mixed the ARL and yeast balls and added sugar to a batch and it was great! Did I ship you the yeast balls with the bird (I think its a crane) or the deer (or Stag or some animal with antlers) on it? I can't remember which one I shipped you. The batch I made was with the deer on it. Really strong and with the sugar, pleasantly sweet.

You shipped me the one with some sort of red/blue swirl on it. Not sure if that's supposed to be a bird or what. :D

I may go ahead and try to use the ARL with the RYR and a package of Vietnamese yeast balls (I know they're Vietnamese because the writing is in the "Roman" alphabet and translates from Vietnamese when I type it in Google Translate. :D)

For the record... my plan is to grind up in my small food processor, 1/4 cup RYR and one pack (approximate quantity of 10 balls) of Vietnamese yeast balls and see how that does. :D

OK. Just put my rice/RYR/ARL and Vietnamese Yeast Balls into the fermenting chamber (freezer with a thermostat set to 68 degrees F). I used one packet of ARL, 1/4 cup of RYR and one packet of yeast balls. I then took my 5-6 cups of Mahatama Jasmine Rice that I cooked this morning and mixed up with the ground RYR/yeast balls that I had emptied a packet of ARL into and then shaken gently to mix. I think sprinkled that over the top of the cold rice, and mixed it by hand and put it all into the mesh bag that was included by Jak1010 with my RYR/ARL order. :D Guess we'll see how that works out in about 3 weeks.
FWIW, I found the website for the ARL, but even following the links to the online store, I couldn't buy for some reason. May have to ask my Chinese co-worker to help me. :D

The answer is yes. I have been advised to tuck one away in bottom of pantry, cap loose 1/8 turn, use an 'all clear' version, no solids. It will start to get darker as it oxidizes and becomes vinegar. It can take months, but becomes more vinegar-y as time progresses.

Fuzzymitten...thank you for photo of the thai black rice. I do have Chinese black rice, Forbidden rice, on hand. Guess we will see how it does. Will be making coconut milk rice pudding too!!

Zak...definitely try your rice wine with the residual solids stirred in. Plus, it does get better (hard to imagine) as it ages, if it lasts that long. I do batch pasteurize though.

TBB....here is a description of Lotus Foods Madagascar Pink Rice, "elusively aromatic of cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg". Sounds lovely just for rice!!

Interesting flavor notes. I did not get these. I would say it tasted and smelled earthy, nutty, and somewhat vegital. I guess we will see how it turns out. I did 2 cups of the pink sweet rice, 3 cups of water, and 3 small Vietnamese yeast balls.

saramc said:

Ah, thanks! When you say loose cap, are we talking mason jar or like soda bottle?

OK here's what I've got so far.

The one on the far left was from my first batch. It was 3 cups rice divided into two jars and I used about 7 grams yeast ball in each jar. This is the one where I had the liquid in two days. There's only one jar there because I tried to sneak a taste out of the other by pouring from under the mass of rice and the whole thing spilled out so I just drank what I had. It was tart and sweet and fairly delicious. That one will be 2 weeks old on Tuesday.

The next from the left is 4 cups rice and 10 grams of yeast. That one is exactly a week old and I haven't tried to sneak a taste. Since I have the little spout thingy I may just squeeze off a shot glass worth and try it tonight.

The other two were made with 6 cups rice, 1 cup RYR and about 27 grams yeast. I didn't cook the RYR. I just added it in with cooled cooked rice before pitching. I never read or didn't remember if you're supposed to cook it. I assumed you don't since Leadgolem just powderized his and adds it like that. That one I just made a couple days ago and there is just the very beginning of liquid starting to form.

I'll report back when I start tasting.:mug:

ETA: You can get nylon paint strainer bags at HD or Lowes 2 for 5 bucks. They come in 1 and 5 gallon sizes. They are better than cheesecloth and don't stain or stink after using. I recommend them for the capping and straining of final product. It's what I used on the one that spilled out and worked great.

Just harvested my arborio rice batch and it is by far my best batch. I had a 1lb bag in the pantry for......3 years. I decided to make the batch at 1:1.5 no soak method. I pitched 2 small Vietnamese yeast balls and left it in the dark for 20 days. The color is slightly yellow and the flavor is amazing. It has no hot nose to it whatsoever. It tastes and smells like a hint of vanilla and very nutty. Like it was aged on walnuts. Best batch by far. Cheers!

ForumRunner_20130623_155908.jpg

ForumRunner_20130623_155917.jpg

Back