Making my first All Grain recipe - Mosaic APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damoxemus

Reaction score
So, I've done one all grain batch, went pretty well, and now I want to design my own. Looking to do an easy sipping Pale Ale with a great hop flavour/aroma but with a bit of maltyness to it; I don't want it to be all about the hops.

Here's what I have so far, let me know what y'all think!

9# Canadian 2-Row (got a sack of it that I'd like to finish)
1# C-30
1# Munich (light)
1# Vienna

Hops:
.5 Warrior at 60
.5 Mosaic at 30
.5 Mosaic at 15
.5 Mosaic at 10
.5 Mosaic at 5
.5 Mosaic at Flameout/Whirlpool
1 oz Mosaic Dry Hop

I may add some Mosaic for a Hopstand when I get the wort down to 180.

Single Infusion at 152 for 75 minutes.
Pitch US-05 (rehydrated)

Og 1.055 - FG 1.014 - IBU - 39.50 -SRM 7.31 - ABV 5.4%

if it were me...i'd drop either the munich or the vienna, leaving just one. I feel like those two are pretty similar in profile. Just up the 2 row to 10lbs and use 1 lb of either of the other two.

I find a lb of Munich in my APA's and IPA's is just right for adding some malt complexity.

Thanks Iowabrewer -

The reason for the Vienna was I am hoping to get my beer to taste closer to Maris Otter than Pale 2 Row. Would I be better off adding a bit of Biscuit or Victory (4-8oz) and cut out the Vienna then?

Just IMO, i'd add the victory to get some of that biscuit, nutty, bread crust flavor. IF that's what you're after i saw drop the Vienna add the victory

Cool - last question, what is a good amount for the Victory, about 5% or so?

Well, here it is

10# Canadian 2-Row (got a sack of it that I'd like to finish)
.5# C-30
.5# c-60
1# Munich (light)
6oz of Victory

Hops:
.5 Warrior at 60
.5 Mosaic at 30
.5 Mosaic at 15
.5 Mosaic at 10
.5 Mosaic at 5
.5 Mosaic at Flameout/Whirlpool

1t of Irish Moss at 10

1 oz Mosaic Dry Hop

Was going to brew this Friday but will have to wait until Sunday unfortunately.

IMHO, mosaic renders on the sweeter side of the hop spectrum, so if it were me I would lean on the hops to cover some of the sweetness currently present in your malt bill. I think you'll still get plenty of malt flavor and character if you eliminate one of your crystal additions.

Latest posts

Back