Making labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you should check out the labelling subforum. they have a few links you can use there.

Make some labels in your "Paint" Program I'll try to show a couple samples.
Size: 392 x 425 pixels:
GOODMAIBOCKLABEL2.jpg

267 X 410 pixels:
ciderlabel.jpg

Save as bitmap images - they stay nicer that way. I used print from Microsoft Word (Insert Word Art) on the above, then copied and pasted,

To make labels:
Open Microsoft Word and make 2 columns. Insert your images so you'll get 4 to 6 of them (or more) and print up. Cut em up.

To apply (on glass bottles) just brush the back of the paper with milk. Yup, milk. Place on bottle, slide into position desired, mop up milk run off with a paper towel.
The moisture evaporates from the milk, leaving it glued on. Comes off after a short soak.

I have just started printing labels on 2 x 4 address labels, inserting the image (of a modified size) onto a template that you an download from Avery or whoever makes the label. These will stick to plastic PET bottles. I am hoping for 2 things:
That they'll stand up to an icy cooler, and that they'll soak off in warm water. yet to be seen.
These images are 170 x 331 when I draw them in paint, then I rotate them 90 degrees to save and insert into the Word Template for the labels. The three below were reduced to fit better here.
labelsamples.jpg

I like Revvy's bottle hangers. Theyre simple, easy produce and get the general job done with minimal fuss.

I use bottle hangers here is a pick of few, created a template in MS word i can print 8 per sheet. get card stock from your local office supply store as creates a more durable hanger. I use QR codes to make up for the lack of printing space.

Black Dynamite Stout
BDS.png

Tigers Blood Amber Ale
TBA.png

I use easy removable multi-use labels by Avery 2x4. Get them a wet and they peel right off the bottle. Interestingly the sweat from a cold beer doesn't seem to be wet enough for them to peel, they need to be soaked. Perfect for us brewers since most of us re-use the bottles.

The Avery part number if interested is Avery 5163 Template. You get a 150 labels for..I think it was a bit over 20 bucks.

I use plain paper. I print out one full sheet of 6 3½x3½ inch labels at home and take that to Staples (or whatever office/copy center) to print up however many I need on their color laser copier. Costs about $0.50/sheet. I do that so the ink won't run when/if the bottle gets wet or moist from condensation. Cut the labels apart at home and stick them on with a couple of swipes of GluStic - comes off with a rinse in water.

Shaneoco1981 said:
I just write the letter for the beer on the cap with a sharpie. No need to remove it, nor is there a need to buy the 3/4" stickers.

At $7 for 1080 lables, it isn't that expensive, plus I can still do some artwork to impress my friends. :)

I mostly just number the cap with a sharpie but it is fun to make labels now and then. I print them out on regular paper from my home laser printer and stick them onto the bottles using milk. I've used both 2% and skim with no difference in outcome. It won't hold up in a cooler full of water but it does just fine in the fridge and is not too bad to remove either.

My experiment with regular shipping labels turned out not so good. They don't soak off too easily, and have to be scraped. I think I'll just put half address labels on the caps, just print up a sheet and cut in half with a paper cutter.
When I want to dress up the bottles and take them out, I'll use the removable shipping labels for ice cooler or the milk and paper trick for the fridge.

I addition to the labels I put 3/4 inch round labels (Avery #5408) on the caps. I print on these as well, but just on my home printer, so the ink is not indelible.

Although I enjoy designing the labels and think of it as part of the fun of homebrewing, if you're just trying to keep track of your beers for yourself then a Sharpie on the cap is fine. But I have noticed that whether your beer has a nice label or is just scribbled on makes a big difference in how others perceive your beer. People taste with their eyes.

I've been using Photoshop to design up my labels lately. I've picked a size that works really well with all my bottles, and makes it easy. I print them all out at home on my color laser printer, so I can make them anytime I want, and not worry. For the first several sets, I used a glue stick to hold them to the bottles. It releases after a short amount of time under warm/hot water. I just make sure to catch one edge of the label, and it starts to peel off pretty fast. Then a simple wash to get the rest of the glue off and I'm done. Simple and easy.

Since I'm making my labels about 3"x5", I print out three per page. That gives me enough space around them to get a good trim and not worry about it.

I print them out on my standard (typically Hammermill) color laser paper, so it's a decent thickness. I'm thinking about also printing up neck labels for the bottles, with the brewery name on it. Just not going to be as easy, since I have three different shaped bottle necks to work around. I might do something else for that part... Maybe a cardstock folded item on a string there...

Back