Making labels Stone/Rogue style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islandhopper

Reaction score
OK I'm sure this is is already on the forums here, the problem is I have no idea how to search for it...

Anyone know what you call the labelling technique used by for example Rogue or Stone? I would love to make some bottles like that for my homebrew so I wouldnt have to clean off and re-glue new paper labels every time I use a bottle. Plus it looks cool :cool:

Any idea how its done commercially or what kind of equipment they use?

I think it's called silkscreening. Another way to do it is called "applied ceramic coating." No idea if this would be too pricey for homebrewers. I'd probably try out some sort of acid etching process, myself.

My buddy worked for a T-shirt screen printer. I'm not sure that equipment would work. There may be other processes.

Do we know if Stone "prints" their bottles in house?

What about searching Etsy for glass artisans?

i haven't seen rogue's production room, but here is a video of a bottle printing machine, i imagine they use something along these lines

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's called silkscreening. Another way to do it is called "applied ceramic coating." No idea if this would be too pricey for homebrewers. I'd probably try out some sort of acid etching process, myself.

Acid etch would be permanent, not sure he wants that.

My buddy worked for a T-shirt screen printer. I'm not sure that equipment would work. There may be other processes.

Do we know if Stone "prints" their bottles in house?

What about searching Etsy for glass artisans?

The times I've been on the Stone Brewery tour I've never seen a "bottle printer", but then again I never thought ofasking. I know most arts and craft stores have markers you can use on glass which "stains" the glass.

Isn't there some sort of 'home glass etching' product (I recall seeing an infomercial) whereby you print out a stencil and then spray your glass with a chemical thru the stencil? I know I saw that somewhere. If you get creative with the printer...

I was in a sign shop a few weeks ago and I noticed that they were screen printing the signs. The lady told me that it's the same process as they use for T-shirts but they use different inks.

I'm sure you could do this on a home brew scale by hand but, I don't know what type of ink would work on glass.

I have an artist friend that does screen printing. You can get supplies at most art stores. I'm not sure what type of paint you'd need for glass though.

you will want to use at least an enamel for durability, they make paint specifically to put on glass permanently that you bake on (they may call it glaze), designed for use if you wanted to do wine glasses for instance. not too much of a mystery, any art store will have it... i imagine you could do a couple of stencils and stack them in succession to get a pattern, would take a really long time though to do more than one color, and the margin for error would be quite high.

The industry term is applied color labeling or acl (sometimes applied ceramic coating/labeling), google up that a little bit for more info... it is an olde technology used on sodas in years past (i remember painted label pepsi bottles in the bottle dispensing machines back in the early 70's) and more recently available on large scale beers like rolling rock and corona.

not sure if you can link this (remove if not) but here is an example of a modern shop that does piece work that i found http://www.stanpacnet.com/bottle_decorating.html

Back