making it up on the fly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheboyganjohn

Reaction score
Started brewing last winter, the brew kit was a present from the wife. Anyhow did four batches right away and then realized I had some drinking to do, so I have not brewed since early March. Fast forward to today, decided to get going with the first batch I have designed myself. All was going well until I forgot the hops until 35 minutes into the boil. Guess the 60 minute boil will be 90 minutes now and had to add extra water. At least this was the wheat beer and not the wee heavy I'm doing tomorrow. 20 minutes left in the boil, time to put the chiller in the pot, hopefully I will not forget anything else.

Well guess I should not have added the extra water. Was suppose to be a 4 gallon batch, ended up 5 gallons. OG target was 1.047 actual was 1.040. My pre-boil gravity was spot on and great efficiency so I must have over estimated the water needed, plus I had to run out while it was boiling so I turned it down a tad so it was not as vigorous as I normally do. Well it is still beer, and it will be low alcohol, just means I can drink more per sitting.

Back