Making chips on the BBQ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and don't let anyone tell you that they are wrapped in newspaper. i think the EU put a stop to that thirty odd years ago. damn foreigners!

on the east coast in the US you can do a lot worse than Five Guys Burgers and Fries, very much like chips from the old country. plus excellent burgers for a fast food place.

And just to expand the debate...

Biscuits:
biscuits.jpg

Cookies:
316215263_aec2180e7d.jpg

Suspenders:
2598985696_d01a189e0b.jpg

Braces:
braces_metal2.jpg

:D

I save the fat from my belly pork and cook chips and egg in it.
I cook a pack of bacon every week or two (for my bacon-egg-cheese-muffin every morning @ work) and always save the bacon fat and cook with it all the time. Pork fat rules.

ChshreCat,
I'm not sure the good folks in the UK have ever had a southern biscuit like in your pic. If you haven't...it's basically a savory scone with no fruit or anything and the texture is slightly different (they're very soft and fluffy...yet with a bit of fatty density if that makes any sense). They are an art form to make correctly. Very few ingredients but getting the texture right is not easy.

You guys have tater tots in the UK? Tater tots came about because the french fry manufacturers needed to use up all the scraps from making fries...so they just ball 'em up into little turds and fry those.

You guys have tater tots in the UK? Tater tots came about because the french fry manufacturers needed to use up all the scraps from making fries...so they just ball 'em up into little turds and fry those.

Potato Croquets are the closest thing I think. The "potato flavoured substance" inside is like fine mashed potato and it's breaded and deep fried or baked?

Ok I was just looking over the menu of a local pub and the have fish and chips. but the "chips" are made from sweet potatoes. Is there anyway that these could be real British chips with them being made from a sweet potato? I mean it is located in Birmingham.

and just to expand the debate a step further, w/o pictures, "fanny"

LOL... I was talking about raising kids with a Brit and I made the mistake of saying that while we usually don't resort to corporal punishment, there were a few times I'd had to give my daughter a swat on the fanny.

She freaked out juuuuuust a bit.

Ok I was just looking over the menu of a local pub and the have fish and chips. but the "chips" are made from sweet potatoes. Is there anyway that these could be real British chips with them being made from a sweet potato? I mean it is located in Birmingham.

no, you wouldn't get that in a chip shop. might taste pretty good but wouldn't be traditional.

no, you wouldn't get that in a chip shop. might taste pretty good but wouldn't be traditional.

+ 1. I've had sweet potato chips (in the English fashion ;)) and they're quite good. But my Kentish and Mancunian friends would blow a gasket if some chippie tried to pass them off as traditional!

So after reading this thread yesterday before I left work, I decided I was going to try my hand at some fish and chips last night. I went home, got some cod fillets out of the freezer, sliced up some taters, tossed them in the freezer and went to the bar for a couple beers. Came home, oil blanched the fries (chips, whatever) for about 8 minutes and let them rest\dried them off. A while later I fried them again (in peanut oil) for 12 minutes until nice and crispy and sprinkled some spicy Essence on them.

The cod I did some in Panko and some in Drakes breading that I added my Scottish 70/+ to for the wet batter. It all turned out wonderful! The Panko was definitely better than the beer batter, IMO. My camera wasn't working so no pics, but I think my first attempt at it was successful!

Any comments on how to do it better next time? I know know that really the freezing should come after the oil blanching so that's one adjustment I'll make.

+1 on Panko...I prefer it over batter too.

FWIW, this is the way it was done at TGI Fridays in the 80s:
Run potatoes through a french fry cutter directly into a sink filled with ice water (must be ice water).
There was a circulation pump (with an intake screen) built into the sink and you would run the pump to circulate the ice water until cloudy with starch. Or you could just agitate it all by hand (mash paddle? lol).
Drain cloudy water and repeat several times until the water runs clear. Getting all this extra starch out is essential for the fries not getting so brown.
Then the fries were stored in ice water in 55 gal. drums (i.e. 55-gal Rubbermaid trash-cans used only for fries). Drums were placed in cooler.
Then you would blanch the fries @ about 250 F. I can't remember the timing but at the end the fries were limp yet still had some texture and had no browning at all.
Then the blanched fries were placed on sheet pans and placed in the cooler to cool.
Then as needed the blanched/cooled fries were cooked at regular fryer temp (~350 F) for just 3 or 4 minutes IIRC.
Season immediately after they come out of the fryer (and not a second later!).

EDIT: I've heard from several people that McDonalds soaks their fries in a sugar-water solution so that's something you might experiment with. I never have. As crappy as much of McDonalds food can be...they are still the french fry king imo.

I happen to prefer batter-dipped to Panko for my fish, if I'm doing English-style fish and chips.

2 cups of flour
1 tablespoon of baking powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
12 oz of brown ale (I used Troegs Rugged Trail last night)

Lightly dredge the fish in cornstarch, knock off the excess then into the batter. Three minutes in 350 degree oil and they're done.

Bah! Claiming Chips are better than American French Fries is just a myth. At one time that might have beent eh case, but the fact is, there are MANY different styles of fries in America today. Personally, I think McD's fries are some of the worst.

Bah! Claiming Chips are better than American French Fries is just a myth. At one time that might have beent eh case, but the fact is, there are MANY different styles of fries in America today. Personally, I think McD's fries are some of the worst.

I never thought it was a thread about which was best, more about what was the difference. :)

Nope. french fries are poor distant relations to Chips.

This statement certainly seems to be comparing the two, and with French Fries being a "poor distant relation" it certainly seems that they are opined to be of a lesser quality.

All my point is, is that there are many different ways to make fries in America, and that the old fashioned believe that American fries are all the same, low quality product is complete rubbish.

That is exactly akin to saying that all American beer is like Bud. Tell me that is a true statement!

This statement certainly seems to be comparing the two, and with French Fries being a "poor distant relation" it certainly seems that they are opined to be of a lesser quality.

All my point is, is that there are many different ways to make fries in America, and that the old fashioned believe that American fries are all the same, low quality product is complete rubbish.

That is exactly akin to saying that all American beer is like Bud. Tell me that is a true statement!

Aww c'mon! That was just Orfy's national pride speaking! You know? Like when us Americans claim that everything American is the best in the world? Hell, just a couple of days ago I heard some talking head on TV say that Cadillacs were the best cars in the world!!!......Loosens them thar strings on your heart. :)

Aww c'mon! That was just Orfy's national pride speaking! You know? Like when us Americans claim that everything American is the best in the world? Hell, just a couple of days ago I heard some talking head on TV say that Cadillacs were the best cars in the world!!!......Loosens them thar strings on your heart. :)

Give me a break! I choose a topic to defend only once in several months, and you've backed down already? I thought this was going to be an all-out, drag-through-the-mud, no-holds-barred, battle for supremacy!

I'm slightly disappointed.

To be fair, I never heard about double frying, so I'll have to try that next time. I've been wanting to make home fries for a while. It's just a lot of work.

Give me a break! I choose a topic to defend only once in several months, and you've backed down already? I thought this was going to be an all-out, drag-through-the-mud, no-holds-barred, battle for supremacy!

I'm slightly disappointed.

To be fair, I never heard about double frying, so I'll have to try that next time. I've been wanting to make home fries for a while. It's just a lot of work.

I wasn't backing down....English chips are way superior to any of that crap i ever bought in the US.....Carry on... :D

The only fries I've had in Europe were in Germany and I would expect UK chips (just based on the description) to be far superior. Every damn place we went served pomme frites that were essentially identical...and not that good. Nice restaurants to on down to that WeinerChicken fast food joint (or whatever it's called...they're all over)...same mediocre fries. No huge flaws per se but they were bland, dry, and just not that good. They actually look similar to McDonalds fries but are not even in the same league.

I've never had "Chips", so I can't really compare the two. My beef was the assumption that all American fries were the same, and crappy. I like good fries, but my preference seems to be different than most, because almost everyone I've ever talk to about them says that McD's fries are the best. Not by a long shot.

Most wedges, or planks are not great either. Could be a single frying. That is how we made them as a kid and they were ok.

I DO like mine with salt and malt vinegar though! Then dipped in ranch. Or ketchup, or whatever. I'm a dipper.

Besides the chips I scarfed in Bideford and London, the other memorable frites I've enjoyed in Europe were in Rotterdam eaten with mayonaisse.

I think that the assumption that English chips are superior is false. Simply put, they are unique. That does not make them better, it makes them a separate experience.

Put that into a context of national pride, and you end up with a sense of elitism much like Philadelphia thinks that putting cheese with steak is an invention all of their own. Guess what, it ain't!

It's all food. We stuff it in our moths (And sometimes we even stuff it in our mouths!)

Power to diversity.....And I still maintain that the greatest American invention in the history of the world was peanut butter! :)

Where were you? I'll have to go check that out.

you end up with a sense of elitism much like Philadelphia thinks that putting cheese with steak is an invention all of their own.

But a sandwich made with cheap steak, Cheez Whiz, onions and an Amoroso roll is! ;)

Where were you? I'll have to go check that out.

J Clyde
I was looking at the menu because I wanted to go tonight because they are tapping 6 kegs of Rogue XS. But they will not be tapping the kegs till 8:30 and I don't think I want to start drinking that late on a work night.

Put that into a context of national pride, and you end up with a sense of elitism much like Philadelphia thinks that putting cheese with steak is an invention all of their own. Guess what, it ain't!

But a sandwich made with cheap steak, Cheez Whiz, onions and an Amoroso roll is!

I thought a Philly steak sandwich was made with ribeye. Is this incorrect? What cut of meat is typical if not ribeye?
AFAIK, it's usually made with chip steak like flyangler said...his 'recipe' is either Geno's or Pat's (which one flyangler?). I was surprised when I found out their cheese sauce is essentially cheez whiz. Many people make them with sliced ribeye and provolone but the orig cheesesteak from one of those cheesesteak icons is just as flyangler wrote.

Sidenote: George Washington Carver popularized peanuts and ways to use them but did not invent peanut butter.

AFAIK, it's usually made with chip steak like flyangler said...his 'recipe' is either Geno's or Pat's (which one flyangler?). I was surprised when I found out their cheese sauce is essentially cheez whiz. Many people make them with sliced ribeye and provolone but the orig cheesesteak from one of those cheesesteak icons is just as flyangler wrote.

Yep, you nailed it! Pat's FTW. I've had many arguments with colleagues about the Philly cheesesteak. If you use sliced ribeye, it's a steak and cheese not a Philly cheesesteak. I'll allow a concession for provolone, though. :)

Simple street food, born of ingenuity. :mug:

I've been wanting to make home fries for a while.

Second time in this thread I heard someone call homemade fries "home fries" but to me home fries are like hashbrowns...shredded potatoes fried in a pan with some grease.

Who mentioned American fries!!!!! (Not me) Although I did mention MCDee fries, you want 'em you can have 'em.

I'm saying English chips are better then French fries. I've not commented on American fries.

I think you guys may call them steak fries or something. Probably just as goo in some cases. I'd say it's hard to be a good UK style chip.

Who mention American fries!!!!!

I'm saying English chips are better then French fries. I've not commented on American fries.

I think you guys may call the steak fries or something. Probably just as goo in some cases. I'd say it's hard to be a good UK style chip.

Oh, come on Orfy! I was trying to help you out here!! This is an American forum! Being right has nothing to do with winning! :eek:

Edit: you have some serious typos there.....but if you are just drunk, then go for it! :D

Back