Making an Inline Flavoring/Extract Injector

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmegoodbeer

Reaction score
I am developing an inline injector to inject extract into beer when it its moving from the fermenter to the keg. This would allow me to not have to open keg and compromise co2 purged environment (i fill my kegs completely with sanitized water then push out with co2). Slow injection would allow the extract to mix well with beer.
List of parts:
1) Ball lock jumper post to connect my racking equipment to the unit im building
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/ball_lock_jumperpost.htm

2) Three way barbed tee
Beduan Stainless Steel 1/4" Hose Barb, 3 Way Tee T Shape Barbed Co2 Splitter Fitting https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QK7L1T3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_KR69Db349B72M

3) 60 mL luer lock syringe
https://www.vitalitymedical.com/60-ml-luer-lock-syringe.html

4) luer tubing connectors to connect syringe to tubing
https://www.vitalitymedical.com/catheter-syringe-adapter.html

5) two liquid ball locks with barbed connectors

How it works:
This is a stand alone unit that simply connects to whatever racking tubing originally used via the ball lock to ball lock jumper post. Liquid flows out of fermenter through the jumper into the three way barbed tee. Syringe port on one side of tee and on other side if tee is tubing with ball lock on end that leads to keg. Attach syringe full of extract and slowly inject into beer when beer is moving from fermenter to keg.

ive attached a simple sketch

Attachments

• 3C69710C-EA1B-49D9-A773-9A6B9DFACE34.jpeg
    3C69710C-EA1B-49D9-A773-9A6B9DFACE34.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:
What's the diameter of the syringe and at what pressure are you transfering?

That's pretty cool . I have an orange/Vanilla tincture I'm going to add right before kegging from my cf5. I fill the keg with starsan then push out via co2 and I dont want to open the fermenter or keg like you. So this is my thinking of what I'm gonna do. My transfer line has the ball lock on one end then it's open on the other and attaches to the barbed fitting. After I sanitize that line I'm going to purge with co2and fill the line with my tincture, then attach to my cf5 port then trans . The tincture will get forced into the keg by the beer . When you get your injector done post pics and outcome I'm interested.

What's the diameter of the syringe and at what pressure are you transfering?
Does not say diameter online but will post when I get it. My guess for a 60 mL syringe is atleast a 1/2” ID. I usually push at about 3-5 PSI.

Worst case you'll have to exert about a pound of force on the plunger to keep it from popping out. It's doable but you'll have to maintain it trhoughout transfer unless you also install a shutoff valve between tee and syringe.

What the world needs is a "keg injector" - a big ass easily cleanable/sanitizable syringe-ish thing with some kind of fitting that would emulate the business end of a disconnect...

Cheers!

In my opinion there's no reasonable advantage to doing it inline while just connecting the syringe to a ball lock via a very short piece of tubing would allow you to inject directly into the keg before or after filling. Doing it before would certainly allow good mixing.

Worst case you'll have to exert about a pound of force on the plunger to keep it from popping out. It's doable but you'll have to maintain it trhoughout transfer unless you also install a shutoff valve between tee and syringe.
The inner diameter of the syringe is 1”

Here is the build. Ill be testing this out when I rack my force carbonated mint chocolate chip stout before Christmas next week! Ill be injecting mint extract inline very slowly while the beer is being pushed from fermenter to keg. Purged lines and nice, slow mixing of the extract while the beer flows.

Attachments

• 9A4B68E0-B0CB-441B-A18F-08DB22489F7D.jpeg
    9A4B68E0-B0CB-441B-A18F-08DB22489F7D.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 42
  • D1063646-B2B5-44EA-A904-64DFE35114D2.jpeg
    D1063646-B2B5-44EA-A904-64DFE35114D2.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 41
  • 204CB7C5-5427-4AAE-8174-C9A9E7F35BD8.jpeg
    204CB7C5-5427-4AAE-8174-C9A9E7F35BD8.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 42
New flash, you better have your hand on that plunger or it’s going flying across the room. There are easier ways to do this.

Here is a video of mine from like 2 years ago. It can be used on liquid or gas side.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back