Making an AC adapter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmcl

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a battery-powered alarm clock that takes 4 c-cell batteries. I want to make an AC adapter for it. From what I've been able to figure, all I need is a 6V AC adapter (4X1.5V) and receptacle, right? Then just solder the receptacle to the respective + and - wires in the clock?

I did something similar with the baby swing and glider. I am sure the clock runs off of the batteries in series, so yes, 6V would be correct. I didn't solder them, instead I took a piece of wood dowel and mounted contacts to both ends. This way, I could pop it in or out just like batteries. Of course, I'm not buying you a new clock if it melts down. :D

For my application, I used in-line fuses as well.

Have to admit though, when I saw this thread, I pictured you having a transformer and some diodes with a mischievious look on your face.

Have to admit though, when I saw this thread, I pictured you having a transformer and some diodes with a mischievious look on your face.

Yea, me too. Would you consider doing that???

It would be much more entertaining. Your solution is far too reasonable.

I followed the instruct-ables guide for the baby swing because well batteries added up with a quickness and the plug was a much better.

-=Jason=-

If you're going to crack that thing open, you could just wire the + and the - from the adapter to the wires on the battery terminals of the clock.

B

Back