Making a wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradigm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Seeing how much I love having projects, I've decided to make my own wort chiller. Ran to a hardware store aaaaaaaaaaaaaand... copper tubing is expensive as all get out!

Where can I get cheap copper tubing... legally? The reason I say legally, is because my friend says to just salvage some from an old fridge or AC unit at the local dump XD

Seeing how much I love having projects, I've decided to make my own wort chiller. Ran to a hardware store aaaaaaaaaaaaaand... copper tubing is expensive as all get out!

Where can I get cheap copper tubing... legally? The reason I say legally, is because my friend says to just salvage some from an old fridge or AC unit at the local dump XD

Copper is pretty expensive, but you should still come out on top when you build it.

As you can see here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/diy-wort-chiller-any-real-savings-248396/index3.html#post2982786 , I was faced with the same conundrum, and I was so happy I built mine.

It cost me about $40, which was cheaper than anywhere else. Sure, maybe less than $10 savings, but I wouldn't do it the other way.

I say build it; not only can you save a few bucks, you'll enjoy making it and will be able to say you did it yourself!

Copper is pretty expensive, but you should still come out on top when you build it.

As you can see here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/diy-wort-chiller-any-real-savings-248396/index3.html#post2982786 , I was faced with the same conundrum, and I was so happy I built mine.

It cost me about $40, which was cheaper than anywhere else. Sure, maybe less than $10 savings, but I wouldn't do it the other way.

I say build it; not only can you save a few bucks, you'll enjoy making it and will be able to say you did it yourself!

If you saw mine you'd know I don't need to tell anyone I made it myself!

Might be able to find one on the net for about the same price as a build. I ended up buying a 50' roll from Lowes for like $60 or so and building one but that's b/c it's hard to find a good 1/2" chiller and I like the idea of go big or go home.

hops2it, has a good point. If you buy a pre measured roll you might be able to get a price break (i.e. you can get 50' for the same price as 40'), and if the roll is more feet then you need you can use the extra to make a smaller pre-chiller.

I just built mine yesterday. $39 for 20' of 1/2 Copper tubing and an additional $8 for the plastic tubing, fittings and collars. To save a few bucks, I bought a standard female hose fitting in the lawn & garden section. The same basic piece in the plumbing section was 3x as much. So, or $47 w/ tax, I've got a new wort chiller. Haven't used it yet, but have no reason to doubt it's effectiveness. If you like I can post a pic or two.

I like the idea of the rib cage chiller myself. Thinking about making that one. More surface area to chill faster.

Built mine for 20$ 20 ft roll of 3/8 copper from lowes for 15$ 6 ft vinly line. One garden hose barb fitting for hose. 20 to 30 min to drop 2 gal down to 80 degrees

I built mine for about $45. 25' of 1/2" copper from coppertubingsales.com. Chills my 5 gallon batch to < 70 degrees in 12 minutes.

In Texas the tap water is not that cold even in winter (which rarely lasts for more than a couple weeks anyway), so I decided to go a two stage way. I bought two 20' lengths of 3/8'' copper tubing at the Orange Despot and a 5 gal bucket. Then I took a stripe of 1/8'' iron, welded plates for in and out pipes, and a bigger plate for the garden hose. A quick connect makes it even better. It may be an overkill, but I didn't like when the pre-chiller sits in the bucket all by itself and floats like a POS. When the ends are tightened with screws it is much better IMHO. Then I put a bag of ice, sprinkle with some ice-cream salt, and add a gallon or so water. The chiller goes in the pot for the last 10 minutes of boiling without hoses attached. When I take the wort off the burner and put it in the sink with another bag of ice, it takes 12 minutes to reach 75F.

CIMG3994.jpg

CIMG3996.jpg

CIMG3995.jpg

Latest posts

Back