Making a Starter from "washed yeast"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I have read the sticky but can not find this answer anywhere. When washing yeast, how do you know how large of a starter to make off of the washed yeast?

You should not have to make a full-sized starter. The small beer served as a starter that built up enough cells for a pitchable slurry.

Though, you might want to add a little fresh wort to rouse the yeast before you pitch.

I am just getting into liquid yeast, so I'm no expert. However, I'd say it depends on how old the washed yeast is. The yeast viability decreases over time, whether its in a vial, smack pack, or a jar of washed yeast. When did you wash it?

Go here and select re-pitching from slurry. If you have enough "slurry" you won't need to build up your yeast with a starter, but as mentioned by wendelgee, you may want to give them a bit of wort so they wake up. Depending on how long ago you collected the yeast, you will also be verifying that they are indeed still viable.

Latest posts

Back