Making a starter... but won't start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HCNate

Reaction score
Hello all:

I am attempting a couple firsts with this next batch:

(1) Reusing washed yeast; and
(2) Making a starter.

With those variables in mind, I made a starter on Wednesday, following the directions on the Brew Wiki. Dumpted it into a Growler. I pitched my washed yeast, with the residual liquid, minus the sediment, from the prior batch all in to the starter. Nothing happened.

Any thoughts? Should I be shaking up my washed yeast prior to use? Should I pour off more of the previous batch?

Thanks for your help with this one.

Sometimes there is no indication of fermentation. The best way to determine if anything is happening is if you find a white layer at the bottom of the starter container. Or open it and see if it smells fermented.

Are you sure the sediment wasn't your yeast? Once you wash the yeast, the sediment left is pretty much all yeast so if you washed the yeast and then stored it in the fridge, the sediment was yeast so it should have been mixed back with the liquid before pitching.

Are you sure the sediment wasn't your yeast? Once you wash the yeast, the sediment left is pretty much all yeast so if you washed the yeast and then stored it in the fridge, the sediment was yeast so it should have been mixed back with the liquid before pitching.

+10

My thoughts exactly. I have had no problems pumping unwashed sediment and yeast into a sanitized beer bottle and
then pitching the whole lot into a starter.

Me thinks he may have decanted the liquid but left the yeast in the jar. :drunk:

I had a strange occurance a short time ago. I bought a smack pak of a Czech Pilsener yeast, and made a starter, or at least attempted to. The smack pak never balooned, and when I pitched it into my growler, nothing ever happened. I told this to one of the guys at the supply store, and they actually gave me another smack pak, of the same strain. The funny thing is, that one acted the same way ??????? it must have been a temperature thing, because after many days, it finally kicked in, and worked just fine. Even though I had it at room temp, it must have needed to be really high, before it started fermenting.

Just thought I would pass this along.

I make starters all the tiem, and it's pretty rare for the to form krausen. I know that they're working my the accumulation of sediment in the bottom of the container.

Well, if you have more jars, just chalk this one up to a learning experience and go from there.

I just made my starter last night too and the same thing this morning...no sign of krausen in mine either (this is my first time using washed yeast)...but I do recall seeing a significant amount more of white sediment on the bottom. I will find out tonight..I did have a fairly large amount of washed yeast in this jar...very good chance that it DID eat it all up over night!! Would hate to go spend 7 buckaroos on something I didn't need.

Latest posts

Back