Making a dual beer tower?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwood

Reaction score
Hey guys-

I'm in the planning process of converting a mini fridge into a kegerator. I can fit two soda kegs in it and I'm wondering if it is worth it to make a beer tower? I have access to a full machine shop and the ability to fabricate the housing itself, but I don't know what the actual components inside are.

Can anyone tell me what exactly is in one, i.e. a parts list? I want to do a dual tap tower and aside from saving money, I think it would be fun to customize it for myself. (We have a forge, so I can actually do some pretty cool brass or aluminum casting :) ) The actual material is not an issue for me, I have plenty of free scrap around, but the parts that I need to buy are. Is it just two faucets, lines and a seal for the bottom? Is there anywhere I can actually buy these things so that it is indeed cheaper to make it?

Thanks,

-Ed

I would jump on that tower project in a heart beat with material and a machine shop available look at ths savings dollar wise besides a "I built this myself" feeling when done. I would make sure you use a large enough diameter tower so you can place a thin wall PVC tube in the center with enough diameter for your lines to fit inside plus faucet stub, nut and 90 degree fittings. Between the PVC tube and tower fill with expanding foam to insulate. Machine a dome cap with a foam insulated bottom for the top. A small 2" mini computer fan aimed near the tower base will help kepp the temps equal thruout the system. Add some type of dome design added to the top cover, brass would contrast good against a polished stainless top cover. Machine a ring base and weld from the bottom side to the tower to base ring. Maybe add countersink stainless screws, assemble and enjoy. Better yet add another ring under your cooler lid with machine screws pulling the assembly down for a clean top tower ring without screws. This is what I would do saving money plus enjoying making a one off tower, use the saved money for other needed brewing items. Two thumbs up for people that use work machinery or home use machinery for projects like this. Post your masterpiece when completed. Let the chips fly.

If I was making one, I'd make sure the design was a.) simple, and b.) easy to disassemble everything. The towers that are available on the market have cheap faucets that come with them and seep fairly difficult to change.

You basically just have a tube with space to mount two taps and run the lines through. I've never seen how they construct the commercial ones, but the shank in there has to be pretty short.

I'd find the faucets (I'd personally go with the stainless forward sealing ones) and the shortest shanks I could find and then start designing the tower from that.

I fully agree with what your reply states, you need to build around what you already have and make adjustments for the system to fit and be functional. To guess build without the needed parts and hoping it will fit later is a government way of thinking with deep taxpayers pockets then correct mistakes by digging deeper into our pockets to correct the problem. Simple corrections. We're just lonely poor homebrewers making the best with what we have to work with wanting the best results. I for one like the challenge, even if I were rich I would not spend on a system like Sabco offers, why line their pockets? Maybe purchasing a complete built unit like a Sabco would be great for someone that has no clue about anything mechanical except how to pump gas into their BMW or knows nothing about machine shop equipment and tooling. Tig welding alone and how to operate any of this equipment is beyond many peoples ability. These people will most likely be IRS agents, doctors or attorneys as an example. There got three legal but crooked professions in my opinion in one sentence. No flame wars just my opinions after being involved with this type of so called professional needed help people. Boy did I get off topic on this one, sorry if I stepped on any toes. JMO's here not looking for a flame war.

Ok, cool, guys. Thanks for the replies! I read the other post quickly and it seems to have everything I need. I will definitely build my own tower- for now I have a keg kit set up with a line off it, so I have to open the fridge to get beer. I think I'm going to cast a sculpture of sorts out of or bronze because it will look so much cooler that way.

I'll definitely post it when I'm done, but it may be a few weeks depending on when I can get in the forge.

Thanks again!

-Ed

Back