Making 2 Kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shayden

Reaction score
Heya! I am new here, Real quickly I will introduce myself, My name is Shayden. And obviously I want to brew beer, wine and the like. I came into 2 empty Kegs and decided to start my journey of filling them. I want to know these things: How much will it cost estimated to make 2 kegs of beer? How much Litres are in a keg? How can I make the 2 kegs without buying supplies online, Only in my local area. THANKS!
-Shayden

Which "fancy sounding supplies" would those be?

Weyermann Vienna 2 lbs, 0 oz
Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt 8 lbs, 0 oz
Briess 2 Row Caramel 10 0 lbs, 8 oz
Cascade Pellets 1 oz @ 60 mins
Cascade Pellets .5 oz @ 30 mins
Cascade Pellets .25 oz @ 15 mins
Cascade Pellets .25 oz @ 5 mins
Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast

I guess you're out of luck then, unless you can make malted barley, hops, and yeast. May I ask why you can't buy online(or locally)

I guess you're out of luck then, unless you can make malted barley, hops, and yeast. May I ask why you can't buy online(or locally)

I can not buy online mainly because I dont have Paypal or a CreditCard, or feel like making a paypal or getting a credit card. I can buy locally. But there is no stores.

If I am correct Malt is made from Seeds? I have yeast, and I can get barley + wheat seeds. Can I make malt with this?

making your own malted barley is a pretty advanced technique that few of us have delved into. Search for a thread called "Happiness is home malting." Do you have brewer's yeast or bread yeast? What about hops? Where in Canada are you? Maybe other Canadians can chime in on the best way to go about getting supplies.

making your own malted barley is a pretty advanced technique that few of us have delved into. Search for a thread called "Happiness is home malting." Do you have brewer's yeast or bread yeast? What about hops? Where in Canada are you? Maybe other Canadians can chime in on the best way to go about getting supplies.

Rural Saskatchewan. Small Town, Like an hour from Regina. I have Bakers yeast :/

I gotta believe that a 1 hour drive to Regina will get you whatever you need to brew beer. Let us know how you make out.

Ill never make it to Regina. Maybe in like a few months. I have to seed soon. If I figure out how to malt I think I can do it.

I can not buy online mainly because I dont have Paypal or a CreditCard, or feel like making a paypal or getting a credit card. I can buy locally. But there is no stores.

If I am correct Malt is made from Seeds? I have yeast, and I can get barley + wheat seeds. Can I make malt with this?

If you have a savings or checking account you can go to the bank and get a debt/checking card. A debt/checking card can be used to order stuff online without the hassle of paypal or credit card.

If you have a savings or checking account you can go to the bank and get a debt/checking card. A debt/checking card can be used to order stuff online without the hassle of paypal or credit card.

I have a Checking card. I didnt know it could be used online. Regardless. I want to do this by creating my own malt.

+ 1 on the trip to Regina.

I don't know what there homebrew supply stores is like. Take a look in the phonebook and phone and ask them questions.

I would suggest to start with extract brewing. You won't get great results with bakers yeast.
:mug:

-Nick

You can buy online by sending a money order or check, it just takes another few days for your check to get there and clear. I highly dought you want to start off by malting your own barley! You will need a good size pot to boil these grains in if going all grain but I would suggest you start off with a partial mash kit and http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_452 or http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/ingredients or http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/ can surely help you out and they will give you instructions on exactly what to do and we can also help you. What size kegs do you have as us assuming what size is silly as there are a few different size kegs out there, are you talking like a Budweiser keg or a soda keg cause filling a budweiser keg is a whole other story! Do you have any idea what is involved in malting your own grains, I would Google this if I were you, not many of us at all do this!!!!!!!!

[ame]http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=malting+barley+at+home&meta=&aq=1&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=malting+bar&gs_rfai=[/ame]

There is a video the first result. Don't know how well it works as I've never tried it. I still think you are diving in pretty deep. But if you feel confident go for it:rockin:.

http://www.howtobrew.com/

You should read this too. Lots of info on all grain brewing.

Make sure to get a water report done. Im guessing you get water from a well? It will be hard and prob high in bicarbonate so you will need to adjust your water chemistry. If you have a softener make sure you don't use water that has gone through it for brewing.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&s...ta=&aq=1&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=malting+bar&gs_rfai=

There is a video the first result. Don't know how well it works as I've never tried it. I still think you are diving in pretty deep. But if you feel confident go for it:rockin:.

http://www.howtobrew.com/

You should read this too. Lots of info on all grain brewing.

Make sure to get a water report done. Im guessing you get water from a well? It will be hard and prob high in bicarbonate so you will need to adjust your water chemistry. If you have a softener make sure you don't use water that has gone through it for brewing.

I googled it already. Looks like a BUNCH of work. So I am going to buy the ingredients online :p

I want to fill 2 Half Kegs (31 Gallons) How much would this cost? And what recipe would I use.

I googled it already. Looks like a BUNCH of work. So I am going to buy the ingredients online :p

I want to fill 2 Half Kegs (31 Gallons) How much would this cost? And what recipe would I use.

Avg for 5 gallons is about 20-40 dollars. Depending on batch size you may have to tweak a recipe to suit your needs. What beer style do you think you want to make?

Avg for 5 gallons is about 20-40 dollars. Depending on batch size you may have to tweak a recipe to suit your needs. What beer style do you think you want to make?

So like 240. Hmm. Since its my first time I will start with 1 Keg, And cut it down to 120. Im not worried about a the style. It is for a party, so maybe a popular one a lot of people tend to like?

Sounds like you have sankey kegs. They actually held commercial beer? Most homebrewers use old soda kegs (corny kegs).

31 gal would cost you around $120 for a simple recipe. To brew that much beer at once would be a lot for equipment though.

So like 240. Hmm. Since its my first time I will start with 1 Keg, And cut it down to 120. Im not worried about a the style. It is for a party, so maybe a popular one a lot of people tend to like?

Golden/Blond are usually a good crowd pleaser. Also cheap to brew. There should be a few recipes for these in the recipe section.

Golden/Blond are usually a good crowd pleaser. Also cheap to brew. There should be a few recipes for these in the recipe section.

I have equipment capable of containing and brewing the liquids. I have 5 Gals of Apelfwein, 10 Gal of Welches wine (Lol), 5 Gal Of Dandelion wine, And 10 Gal of Rhubarb wine. + A few bottles of Potato Vodka. But wine is so easy, I decided to move onto beer. Golden/Blond it is!

Do you have a spear removal tool to get the spear out of the keg to fill it? How do you intend on cleaning and sanitizing a 15 gallon keg?

OK...I'll play along :confused:. If you want to get fermenting quickly with items that you most likely have on hand, why don't you try a batch of Joe's Ancient Orange Mead...basically you just need honey, oranges, cloves, raisins and bread yeast....recipe is here: http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_rapidrecipe&page=viewrecipe&recipe_id=118&Itemid=459
It will give you a little practice without investing much money...by then you may figure out how to get your ingredients. I haven't made that one, but I have made a couple of Joe's other recipes and they come out like a wine or a sweet desert wine.

Hey, if you would be willing to ship the keg, I'd be happy to trade you by sending [new] bucket with enough extract, hops, and yeast to make beer for the remaining keg.

How's that sound? :)

Ok...

I want to start by saying Welcome, GL on your project:mug:!! and I would want someone to point out some obvious things that are required for beer and wine. you seem to be missing equipment, you may be able to come up with substitutes, however.

-You need to have an air lock or an orange carboy cap and some hose with a bucket with water in it (normally called a "blow off tube") or 2 depending on how many of these kegs you plan on using as fermenters. These are under $10.00 for 2. My family uses airlocks for wine.

- You will also need a "racking cane" and/or siphon to move beer/wine out of the 1/2 bbl when it is done fermenting.

- A hydrometer is optional but they are fairly cheap and worth picking up.

- A wine thief or a really giant "turkey baster" to get samples with.

- The correct yeast (It is super cheap at the home brew store)... the way I understand it is brewers yeast for brewing and bakers yeast for baking...but I am sure there is someone that has a recipe that calls for the opposite.

- A place to move/store the finished product (commonly requires a corker and bottles for wine, for beer see below.)

additional stuff for beer:

- a large boil kettle (I suggest a 4 gallon at a minimum or see below for keggle). I think if you have or can get an old turkey deep fryer that it would work in a pinch...or you are going to be doing ALOT of really small batches and "mixing them into the 1/2 bbls."(This would almost be futile...as each "batch will take a few hours).

-Brewers thermometer. about $5-15 depending on the store, I do not suggest a substitute that has glass and mercury.....its just a bad idea, not to mention a great way to burn/steam your hand.

- A food grade bottling bucket w/ spigot to fill your vessels (this is where you "rack" to for bottleing).

- "insert what you have for priming sugar here"

- bottles and capper w/ caps or something to put your beer in because it will not be carbonated at this point, that is done either by "force carbonation" with a Co2 tank or naturally in the bottles. Trying to naturally carbonate 15.5 gallons in the keg could be VERY DANGEROUS + there is GOING to be "stuff" at the bottom

Additional comments:

- Sterilize and sanitize EVERYTHING there are cheap things to do this with.

- after fermentation there WILL BE "stuff" in the bottom of the fermenter that you more than likely do NOT want to ingest....FYI

What I would do if I were you and wanted beer:
I would look into making a "keggle" or at least a big boil pot out of 1 of the 1/2 bbls IF you had a way to boil 12 gallons of water (typically not going to happen on a stove top). then in theory you could boil your ingredients and move them to the other 1/2 bbl to use as a fermenter (You will NOT be able to use a racking cane for this as it will probably melt....) OR you could "convert a cooler into a mash tun" and then move the wort from there to the fermenter.

There are TONS of great helpful articles all over this forum just use the search. Also, very few people love to spend money on supplies and equipment but the reality is, it is a small price to pay for becoming a homebrewer/beer god(dess) to your friends and family. Having the basic equipment is better than trying to skimp out especially while you are getting started.
( You could dig a ditch with a tablespoon but a shovel and pick axe will be MUCH better, then after you have a few ditches under your belt you may feel the urge to get the back hoe. Also, the equipment is a 1 time purchase until it breaks so it is not like you need to spend hundreds of dollars per batch AND the more you make the less the equipment casts in theory. Remember, no one wants to get super frustrated then wait 6 weeks to drink something that tastes like it was strained trough hot garbage.)

:rockin:

40 years old, makes wine, distills vodka, only have baker's yeast on hand, wants to fill 2 sankey kegs for a party, and didn't know that a bankcard can be used to order online? Something just doesn't add up here....

40 years old, makes wine, distills vodka, only have baker's yeast on hand, wants to fill 2 sankey kegs for a party, and didn't know that a bankcard can be used to order online? Something just doesn't add up here....

English are easy, math are hard and 7 out of 3 people do not understand fractions....but ya I had the same thoughts.....:drunk:

Hey, if you would be willing to ship the keg, I'd be happy to trade you by sending [new] bucket with enough extract, hops, and yeast to make beer for the remaining keg.

How's that sound? :)

Ehhh. Sorry.. I would be willing to make you a Keg, or the best one I could.

-You need to have an air lock or an orange carboy cap and some hose with a bucket with water in it (normally called a "blow off tube") or 2 depending on how many of these kegs you plan on using as fermenters. These are under $10.00 for 2. My family uses airlocks for wine.

- You will also need a "racking cane" and/or siphon to move beer/wine out of the 1/2 bbl when it is done fermenting.
- The correct yeast (It is super cheap at the home brew store)... the way I understand it is brewers yeast for brewing and bakers yeast for baking...but I am sure there is someone that has a recipe that calls for the opposite.

- A place to move/store the finished product (commonly requires a corker and bottles for wine, for beer see below.)
Just being nitpicky-

Needing an airlock...it is good to have one, but people have made beer without them. A blowoff tube (or just a tube fixed into a bung with a hole in it) piped into a cup or jar of liquid will do as well, and honestly, a home depot bucket would work just fine without an airlock since it doesn't really seal anyway. Airlocks are great and cheap, but not 100% required.

A way to siphon beer out of the fermenter is advantageous, but a tube with a T on it (Flyguy's $3.00 siphon comes to mind) works just as well and costs next to nothing. Autosiphons are great, but I have found that they have a finite lifespan and fail occasionally.

additional stuff for beer:

- a large boil kettle (I suggest a 4 gallon at a minimum or see below for keggle). I think if you have or can get an old turkey deep fryer that it would work in a pinch...or you are going to be doing ALOT of really small batches and "mixing them into the 1/2 bbls."(This would almost be futile...as each "batch will take a few hours).

Indeed, a big boil kettle and a heat source to match will be one of the best investments you can make if you are planning on making 1bbl of beer.

-Brewers thermometer. about $5-15 depending on the store, I do not suggest a substitute that has glass and mercury.....its just a bad idea, not to mention a great way to burn/steam your hand.

Unless you are doing all grain and want to hit precise mash temps, I don't see a good reason to have one of these. The wort will boil when it is in the vicinity of 212F/100C.

- A food grade bottling bucket w/ spigot to fill your vessels (this is where you "rack" to for bottleing).

Again, IMHO a home depot bucket works great here. I use the same siphon (bump for Flyguy's $3.00 siphon!) that I use to rack the beer when bottling. CHeeeeap. I've never had good luck with cleaning the spigots and stopping their leaks in so-called "bottling buckets" . A clean hole-free bucket is great since it is cheap/free depending on where it comes from, it is easy to sanitize, and it is easy to mix in priming sugar in.

Or, go ultimate cheap and rack right from the fermenter into the kegs. Expect some cloudiness and trub on the first few glasses of beer dispensed.

Additional comments:

- Sterilize and sanitize EVERYTHING there are cheap things to do this with.

Sterilizing is not required here. Sanitizing equipment is mandatory. Sterilization is a higher bar that most homebrewers couldn't accomplish anyway without something like an autoclave.

Bleach, iodophor (a type of iodine), starsan, boiling water...there are many sanitization methods available from cheap to almost as cheap.

What I would do if I were you and wanted beer:
I would look into making a "keggle" or at least a big boil pot out of 1 of the 1/2 bbls IF you had a way to boil 12 gallons of water (typically not going to happen on a stove top). then in theory you could boil your ingredients and move them to the other 1/2 bbl to use as a fermenter (You will NOT be able to use a racking cane for this as it will probably melt....)
I concur- I would probably go down that route too myself if I had that equipment.

OR you could "convert a cooler into a mash tun" and then move the wort from there to the fermenter.

Umm..OK, I got lost on this though. A cooler mash tun makes the wort that still needs to be boiled, cooled, and transfered into a fermenter. It isn't ready to be fermented after leaving the mashtun.

There are TONS of great helpful articles all over this forum just use the search. Also, very few people love to spend money on supplies and equipment but the reality is, it is a small price to pay for becoming a homebrewer/beer god(dess) to your friends and family. Having the basic equipment is better than trying to skimp out especially while you are getting started.
( You could dig a ditch with a tablespoon but a shovel and pick axe will be MUCH better, then after you have a few ditches under your belt you may feel the urge to get the back hoe. Also, the equipment is a 1 time purchase until it breaks so it is not like you need to spend hundreds of dollars per batch AND the more you make the less the equipment casts in theory. Remember, no one wants to get super frustrated then wait 6 weeks to drink something that tastes like it was strained trough hot garbage.)

:rockin:

I concur :mug:

If you are in Canada, try the Brewhouse or Festa Brew brand kits. They come with everything you need and are very simple. Festa brew is 23L of pre made wort, just pour it in your fermenting bucket and add the yeast. Follow the instructions to the letter and you should be fine. Brewhouse is similar but you add about 6L of water.
NO BOILING, No fuss easy way to get started. You do not need to make your first brew complicated.

You will need a basic brewing kit, they run $60-$100 or you could always scrounge to pick up everything you need, brewing equipment is like exercise equipment, there is always someone in town who tried it once or twice and has everything you need.

Also for a first time brewer, I highly suggest bottling and not kegging, I just kegged my first beer yesterday and it was a few steps more than bottling, however after you bottle two or three batches you will appreciate the keg. (you will also need lines, connectors and C02 etc for kegging)

And lastly when reading the US forum keep this in mind... we brew in 5 gallon batches (usually) but in the US that is US Gallons and here in Canada we brew in Imperial Gallons. What does that mean? Well, when you fill your keg, you will still have enough beer to fill 12 bottles. But if you use any recipes (advanced brewing) you will have to either make a smaller batch which means a higher possibility of oxygen contamination as there will be 4 liters of air in your bucket/carboy or you will have to convert and increase everything by 25% or so.

5 US Gallons is 19L, 5 Imperial Gallons is 23L

@nebben

About food grade vs. home depot buckets. The cost is fairly negligible, If someone knows a baker they can prob get the food grade plastics for free. I am very anti-spreading of potentially dangerous and cancerous plastics, so while I do not even trust the food grade, others are not as picky as me.

The other reason that I mentioned the thermo and MT are because the OP seems not able/willing to do any/much ordering of supplies online and does not have a HB store near them and they have also mentioned they want to make it from grains they have.....

As for the air lock reply...I also mentioned the use of a blow off tube set-up....

I do admit to being a novice, a well read and fairly intelligent novice but I do believe the advice and statements givin were very sound. I also have no issues being corrected when I do some "knot headed" thing but I am disinclined to believe that this is the case at all.........:drunk:

Just how old are you that you do not have debit card? Maybe I'm wrong, but sounds a little fishy to me. Besides you would need a bit more equipment to turn those fancy ingredients into beer.

I thought this thread was shorter than this. Sorry guys, I pretty much just said some meaningless nothing.

Latest posts

Back