Make-up Air

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sredz

Reaction score
I just moved into a new home and will be re-setting up my electric brew rig. I have a 50amp control panel. HLT has a 5500 watt element controlled by a PID and the BK has a 4500watt with a PWM control. I have an area in the utility room of my basement that seems pretty well set up for this. It has a utility sink already installed and my brew stand will fit nicely right next to it. The main electrical panel is in this room. I plan to install a 50amp GFCI breaker directly in the main panel - the receptacle can go about 6’ from the panel so it’s an easy short run. My concern is my limitation for getting make-up air into this room. I will have to drill two 4” holes through the side of the house – one for exhaust and one for make-up air. I am very limited in where these can go. The make-up air intake will be only 2-feet from where the furnace exhausts through the side of the house. I’m thinking of using 4” PVC for the intake and turning the exterior face of it away from the furnace exhaust. Just looking for some thoughts on whether this will provide sufficient clean air intake.

I'm working on mine in the basement as well, and am planning around the make-up air being across the room from the exhaust, to provide the maximum ventilation. I would think that being as close together as you propose would 'short circuit' the air flow and really only ventilate from pipe to pipe without drawing the airflow through the room.

I am using an abandoned 6" HVAC vent into my Florida room, and will have a window open in that room during boil to ensure fresh outside air enters opposite to where I am pushing the steam, without creating any negative pressure...

can you duct the intake all the way across the room to provide additional cross flow?

I'm working on mine in the basement as well, and am planning around the make-up air being across the room from the exhaust, to provide the maximum ventilation. I would think that being as close together as you propose would 'short circuit' the air flow and really only ventilate from pipe to pipe without drawing the airflow through the room.

I am using an abandoned 6" HVAC vent into my Florida room, and will have a window open in that room during boil to ensure fresh outside air enters opposite to where I am pushing the steam, without creating any negative pressure...

can you duct the intake all the way across the room to provide additional cross flow?

The exhaust from my hood will be on the same wall about 8 feet from the make-up air intake. I was thinking of using a small 4" inline fan on the make-up air intake to help draw air in. There would be room to duct this across the room which may be a good idea. My concern is how close it will be to the furnace exhaust (only 2'). Unfortunately, this is the only location in this room that will work for both the intake and exhaust.

Back