Make me brew something

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tre9er

Reaction score
I *need* to brew this weekend. I mean, I have 9g of Bananas Foster cold-crashing, about 8g of Fashionably Late (hop-burst) PA on tap, and some pumpkin lager and oktoberfest bottled...but I have an emtpy fermenter and one empty keg...so...

I basically have 2-row, Pale Ale, Vienna, Cherry Smoked, Rauch, and Honey malt. I have Nugget, Willamette, Columbus in large quantity and some cascade, tettnang, and perle in smaller quantity (like 1-2oz. each).

Yeast I have SF Steam, Trappist, chico. I don't get real picky about my yeast, either.

Maybe a blonde with some honey malt? Maybe a porter if I go pick up some chocolate, special b, etc? I don't really want to go to the HBS, though.

Make me brew something.

Now bare with me because this is going to sound crazy.... I see the posts all the time that say Never use too much honey malt bla bla bla...

I have a beer on tap that I call Honey CTZ.... and it's pretty darn good!

My inspiration:
A local brewery called Bitteroot brewing makes an imperial Honey Citra (NW style pale ale). It is absolutely Awesome.

Anyways I was in there one day and talking to the brewer and mentioned that I home brew and that I love their honey Citra...

He said well i can't tell you everything of course but I can tell you this "We use about 70% 2-row pale, and HUGE 25% gambrinus honey malt, and just a little bit of light crystal... we do all Citra hops and the hop additions are BIG and late in the boil... we also dry hop for 3-4 weeks.

I got no clue from him on yeast and have tried to brew it several times when i used citra i honestly didn't like my results. So this last time I used some simcoe for bittering at 20 mins and I used CTZ at 10, 5, 0 mins. My only complaint is that my brother keeps drinking it all !!

Sounds crazy and you would think it would be too sweet... but i got the ibus up and it actually balances really well... i also mashed really low at about 148 so i wouldn't end up with too many unfermentables and have it be too sweet... I used 1450 denny's favorite once and that one is growing on me and others like it.. But this newest batch in keg now was made with Nottingham ale yeast. Good luck with whatever you brew :rockin:

Bitteroot brewing used to make "Honey Citra" it was just a NW pale.

This year they "beefed it up" to be imperial. Personality I liked it better before.

From their website:

Imperial Honey Citra IPA:
(10% ABV) - Voted the best Montana Imperial I.P.A. at the 4th annual Montana Brewer's Festival! Dark and roasty malt flavors backed by a BIG hop presence!

Dark and roast malt flavors doesn't sound like low mash temp and just base , honey, and crystal. I was thinking of a honey malt beer but wasn't sure which way to go.

thinking of taking centennial blonde and subbing some honey for carapils since I have none and using ctz for bittering and cascade for the late additions. Should get me a sweet blonde with some hop character that surpasses BMC beers.

Thoughts?

Yup that'd be good i like the cascade hops late... yeah the imperial version this year they added the roast to i was talkin more the regular version good luck

Back