Make IPA Clear Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I can actually agree with you.

Spoke too soon your second paragraph is dumb, to use your speak. I mean why dont you please explain to us all what this "beer" you speak of actually is, should be, and tastes like. Which of the 27 styles and their variants is real beer.

Appreciate beer for what it is. Aversion to hazy for clarity's sake is dumb. Aversion to clarity becuase OMGHAZE4DAYZ is equally dumb. Drink what tastes [and smells] good.

I'm just pretty certain a lot of your modern "craft" drinkers don't actually like....beer. Hence all the additives to as far remove it from beer as possible.

Last edited:
I always just laugh at the joose heads who think they know everything about beer when in reality they know very little and do not have refined palattes.
If you enjoy hazebois but cannot appreciate a really good west coast clear IPA I can't take your opinion about ANY beer seriously

I have work colleague who doesn't like beer. He tried Lindemans Lambic fruit sours and liked the Peche.... I think it's Peach.

I told this guy, (He's an engineer), how Lambics are made and he was fairly impressed. That its pricey due how long takes to brew, age and blend a lambic. He doesn't drink much, so the occasional lambic isn't cost prohibitive for him.

Part of me thinks this Franken-IPA-Style might be a gateway into craft beer from those who are the BMC croud. Bud Lime to wine cooler imbibers. I could see women drinking some of this sweeter Milkshake Frankenstein's-Wife-IPA-Style.

Final note, having been in the Marines, we always thought only pussies don't like beer. It takes a real man to appreciate a Traditional IPA.

Really, please explain to the rest of us what "beer" tastes like. I mean how do I know if I like beer?
Ain't gettin into it with ya.

Massey Hall greatest recording in history of recorded music if that establishes any common ground between us. [emoji6]

IMG_2798.JPG

Apparently I have been putting too much focus on making clear IPA’s and not paying any attention to the pool, hence the split pea soup color!
[emoji85][emoji482]

Yeah really. If beer is truly only 4 ingredients then I guess all the fruit, spice, flaked anything, etc additives make it non-beer but more a drink correct? Or another way of looking at it, if I add .01oz of citra hops to my hard Lemonades, can't I call it a beer? It uses DME/water/yeast. What's the 21st century definition of beer?
Really, please explain to the rest of us what "beer" tastes like. I mean how do I know if I like beer?

Last edited:
I learned the hard way to keep the pool clean through the winter..makes life easier in the spring. Of course global warming is helping as our swim season is going into mid-october and can start in early March so not much down time anyway.
View attachment 657091
Apparently I have been putting too much focus on making clear IPA’s and not paying any attention to the pool, hence the split pea soup color!
[emoji85][emoji482]

I learned the hard way to keep the pool clean through the winter..makes life easier in the spring. Of course global warming is helping as our swim season is going into mid-october and can start in early March so not much down time anyway.

Yep, definitely a learning process...[emoji482]

Yeah really. If beer is truly only 4 ingredients then I guess all the fruit, spice, flaked anything, etc additives make it non-beer but more a drink correct? Or another way of looking at it, if I add .01oz of citra hops to my hard Lemonades, can't I call it a beer? It uses DME/water/yeast. What's the 21st century definition of beer?

See - this is the problem today. Why does anybody think the “21st century definition of beer” is any different from the 13th century, 14th century, 15th century, 16th century, 17th century, 18th century, 19th century or 20th century definitions?

I suppose if you add hops to hard lemonade you would have something you could technically call a fruit beer, though I can’t imagine it would be anything good that you would want to drink and re-create regularly.

All beers are also not just 4 ingredients. Many breweries use adjuncts and have for a long time. Budweiser has always used rice. Miller and others use corn syrup, which people get hyper over. Corn syrup is 100% fermentable, so none of it remains in the finished beer.

Mead is the one that gets me. I like mead and I make mead - but why is mead considered beer, and why is it under the BJCP in beer competitions? How is mead considered beer when it has no malt, and no hops except in a specialty category?

Last edited:
Haven't read most of this thread, but I do think clearer labelling in restaurants wouldn't be a bad thing. I ordered what was called a Pale Ale, and got a hoppy sweet "juicy" beer that did look relatively like orange juice. Not a bad beer at all, and in plenty of other circumstances would be happy to order it. But damn it, I wanted a Pale Ale.

Haven't read most of this thread, but I do think clearer labelling in restaurants wouldn't be a bad thing. I ordered what was called a Pale Ale, and got a hoppy sweet "juicy" beer that did look relatively like orange juice. Not a bad beer at all, and in plenty of other circumstances would be happy to order it. But damn it, I wanted a Pale Ale.

I would be annoyed.

I would also return it. Say that's not a pale ale.... Order a different one....

If you really wanted something like a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

I would be so stoked to order some meh pale ale and be given a juicy hop bomb like pseudo sue.
Screenshot_20191219-230122_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

I would be so stoked to order some meh pale ale and be given a juicy hop bomb like pseudo sue.View attachment 657807

Not if you're eating Fish & Chips, with a dose of malt vinegar, and you might really want an English Pale Ale. I would.

Sometimes I don't want a juicy hoppy beer.

However If I was eating grilled fish tacos topped with Sliced Cabbage, Salsa Verde and Monterey. Well, I'd welcome the juicey hoppy beer.

- Or-

A white fish covered with a watermelon/mango pico de gallo. Served with rice and black beans. Yeah I'd welcome the juicy beer.

I was drinking a Triptych beer yesterday. It a nice beer but more like a dessert beer, not a food pairing type of beer.

Have Yourself A Merry Little Memeshake

$2.00 / 6.00

Candy Cane Milkshake IPA (6.6 % ABV)

A collaboration beer with Crafted 1979 in Mokena, Illinois. Brewed with crushed candy canes and vanilla!

http://triptychbrewing.com/

Where do you go where you order english pale ales and get a hop bomb juicy beer? Man I want to go there. Fish tacos sound good too. Making me hungry.

I dont get it. Is it that hard to find sierra on a menu. I mean even here in Colorado your average reataurant has breck avalanche as their lone craft beer. Only known craft beer spots have rarer juice bombs. So you guys see toppling Goliath pseudo sue and order it expecting bass. Heres a tip, maybe next time order sierra instead of ordering the beer called jucifer. Im calling bs.

So then after ordering some no name local breweries IPA called hazy crazy or whatever and expecting a Guinness stout, You take off to the liquor store where you buy an $18 4 pack Only to find out that it's some huge juicy IPA and not the 799 a 6-pack upslope IPA that you wished you had.

Last edited:
Candy cane beer sounds festive and fun. It would be fun to have at a Christmas party. Lol, so now I get to complain I keep ordering beers expecting them to be candy cane milkshake and they're just normal.
Not if you're eating Fish & Chips, with a dose of malt vinegar, and you might really want an English Pale Ale. I would.

Sometimes I don't want a juicy hoppy beer.

However If I was eating grilled fish tacos topped with Sliced Cabbage, Salsa Verde and Monterey. Well, I'd welcome the juicey hoppy beer.

- Or-

A white fish covered with a watermelon/mango pico de gallo. Served with rice and black beans. Yeah I'd welcome the juicy beer.

I was drinking a Triptych beer yesterday. It a nice beer but more like a dessert beer, not a food pairing type of beer.

Have Yourself A Merry Little Memeshake

$2.00 / 6.00

Candy Cane Milkshake IPA (6.6 % ABV)

A collaboration beer with Crafted 1979 in Mokena, Illinois. Brewed with crushed candy canes and vanilla!

http://triptychbrewing.com/

Where do you go where you order english pale ales and get a hop bomb juicy beer? Man I want to go there. Fish tacos sound good too. Making me hungry.

I dont get it. Is it that hard to find sierra on a menu. I mean even here in Colorado your average reataurant has breck avalanche as their lone craft beer. Only known craft beer spots have rarer juice bombs. So you guys see toppling Goliath pseudo sue and order it expecting bass. Heres a tip, maybe next time order sierra instead of ordering the beer called jucifer. Im calling bs.
Maybe. It hasn't happened to me. Probably wouldn't unless the waitstaff made a mistake. I was just pointing out where one would be the wrong choice as it comes to dining out.

If it was to happen to me, it would probably be what I ordered just kicked and they asked if I wanted something else. Then again it would be my fault if didn't know what I ordered. I might just go with their suggestion not be thinking about it the style nuance. Then again I wouldn't be upset. It's just beer.

I'm just pretty certain a lot of your modern "craft" drinkers don't actually like....beer.

Think of it like beef.

If you say you like beef, it's more than likely that you like multiple styles of beef. I.e. you like cheeseburgers, you like filet mignon, you like roast beef sandwiches, you like carne asada, etc etc etc.

With beef, you know that no matter how it's prepared, there is going to be some level of consistency in what "beef" looks like, tastes like, etc.

I personally love beef, but I'm not particularly a fan of beef back ribs. I find them to be full of the least palatable parts of beef, without enough "meat" on them to make up for it. That doesn't mean I don't like beef. But if someone doesn't like steak, doesn't like roast beef, doesn't like carne asada, but absolutely LOVES Taco Bell beef tacos, I'm going to say that their taco meat love is an exception, and they really don't particularly like beef.

Same with coffee. A lot of people I know like coffee, but don't like to drink it black. It's just *too* bitter. But they like it with a little cream and sugar, or they like a latte. I personally like it black, but I understand that can be too aggressive for some folks (just like West Coast IPA can be too aggressive for some folks).

But if someone ONLY drinks coffee when Pumpkin Spice Latte season comes around, or only drinks the most froo-froo Starbucks drinks that are just buckets of sugar with a tiny amount of coffee added in for color [not flavor], I'm going to say they don't really like coffee.

I feel the same way about beer.

Juicy IPAs are beer. They're even "real beer". So is Raspberry Lambic. So is Keystone Light, the beer that helps you avoid "bitter beer face". Heck, you can make a case that Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is beer.

That said, "beer" encompasses a whole wide range of characteristics. Usually it includes a level of malt flavor/aroma, a level of moderate [to high] bitterness, and some level of hop flavor/aroma. The degrees of which they're present is dependent on the beer. More often than not, people who drink beer do so because they appreciate these qualities.

Raspberry Lambic, while it's undeniably real beer, has a whole bunch of different qualities. I would make a claim that if you only drink Raspberry Lambic, and don't like other beer, that you don't really fit in the category of people who actually like beer based on the one-off.

I think @Qhrumphf is making a point that if you go to a beer that looks, tastes, and approximates alcoholic fruit juice, that if someone is all about that but thumbs their nose at a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, that they probably like what's trendy and aren't really someone who likes beer.

See - this is the problem today. Why does anybody think the “21st century definition of beer” is any different from the 13th century, 14th century, 15th century, 16th century, 17th century, 18th century, 19th century or 20th century definitions?

I suppose if you add hops to hard lemonade you would have something you could technically call a fruit beer, though I can’t imagine it would be anything good that you would want to drink and re-create regularly.

All beers are also not just 4 ingredients. Many breweries use adjuncts and have for a long time. Budweiser has always used rice. Miller and others use corn syrup, which people get hyper over. Corn syrup is 100% fermentable, so none of it remains in the finished beer.

Sie haben den Reinheitsgebot verraten!!!

Heck, you can make a case that Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is beer.
--- This really got me laughing though. My wife bought this thinking it was like the summer "shandy" that I brew, which is basically a pale ale and lemon skins. She was horrified at the taste and dumped them out.

Think of it like beef.

If you say you like beef, it's more than likely that you like multiple styles of beef. I.e. you like cheeseburgers, you like filet mignon, you like roast beef sandwiches, you like carne asada, etc etc etc.

With beef, you know that no matter how it's prepared, there is going to be some level of consistency in what "beef" looks like, tastes like, etc.

I personally love beef, but I'm not particularly a fan of beef back ribs. I find them to be full of the least palatable parts of beef, without enough "meat" on them to make up for it. That doesn't mean I don't like beef. But if someone doesn't like steak, doesn't like roast beef, doesn't like carne asada, but absolutely LOVES Taco Bell beef tacos, I'm going to say that their taco meat love is an exception, and they really don't particularly like beef.

Same with coffee. A lot of people I know like coffee, but don't like to drink it black. It's just *too* bitter. But they like it with a little cream and sugar, or they like a latte. I personally like it black, but I understand that can be too aggressive for some folks (just like West Coast IPA can be too aggressive for some folks).

But if someone ONLY drinks coffee when Pumpkin Spice Latte season comes around, or only drinks the most froo-froo Starbucks drinks that are just buckets of sugar with a tiny amount of coffee added in for color [not flavor], I'm going to say they don't really like coffee.

I feel the same way about beer.

Juicy IPAs are beer. They're even "real beer". So is Raspberry Lambic. So is Keystone Light, the beer that helps you avoid "bitter beer face". Heck, you can make a case that Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is beer.

That said, "beer" encompasses a whole wide range of characteristics. Usually it includes a level of malt flavor/aroma, a level of moderate [to high] bitterness, and some level of hop flavor/aroma. The degrees of which they're present is dependent on the beer. More often than not, people who drink beer do so because they appreciate these qualities.

Raspberry Lambic, while it's undeniably real beer, has a whole bunch of different qualities. I would make a claim that if you only drink Raspberry Lambic, and don't like other beer, that you don't really fit in the category of people who actually like beer based on the one-off.

I think @Qhrumphf is making a point that if you go to a beer that looks, tastes, and approximates alcoholic fruit juice, that if someone is all about that but thumbs their nose at a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, that they probably like what's trendy and aren't really someone who likes beer.
That's close enough to my point.

Also the superfr00t beers. And the pastry beers. And the egg nog beer. Or the Ferrero Rocher beer. Or the Hi-C Ecto Cooler beer.

It's more than just hazy.

I'm feeling going on a kick of either authentic old school real ale, or RHGB compliant crispybois. And absolutely nothing else.

And as far as I'm concerned anyone who drinks anything else might as well be drinking Bartles and Jaymes.

Not really. But maybe.

That really hits the nail on the head.

Consumers that do not actually like beer.

Hard seltzers are an easier alcopop for them.

Hard seltzers are great. You can drink 12 in an evening, not get full, get extremely drunk, stay hydrated, and not get a hangover the next day. At least that’s my experience.

Back