Major Sanitation issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyPX120

Reaction score
Here it goes, I have lost 2 kegs so far from an infection that produces a vinegar taste, it is NOT happening during fermentation as the beer has tasted fine out of and i have went on to bottle some of the same batch which turned out just fine. The first batch I figured I lost due to missing something in keg sanitation. so i went crazy the next time (broke down the keg and made sure it was good to go) and again lost a batch with the same issue. Only thing i can think of is a contamination within the gas line (i have now broke that down) and gona give it another go. Just wondering any thoughts on this or other ideas as to what is going on.

I think you've got it pretty much nailed there. I feel like infections in kegs are really hard to get unless you picked up an airborne or didn't sanitize well enough, which it sounds like you did.

Until you can definitively determine that your keg and gas line are sanitary you should plan on just bottling everything. I prefer bottling--each bottle has its own character!

I've had the same problem before. I sanitized everything including the gas lines. I found out my problem was in the manifold I was using to split the gas line. Just going to prove that no piece of equipment is safe from bad bacteria.

What do you mean by sanitize the gas line? In my thinking I want the gas lines completely dry.

I set up a new system and was spraying starsan in the gas lines as I was pressing them on the barbs. It made me nervous that the sanitizer/water in the barbs would eventually harbor bugs so I cut them off and started over by boiling the lines, swinging them dry and pressing them on.

Back