Major oxidation in recently bottled beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrojanAnteater

Reaction score
I recently had a batch of saison show major oxidation from the first bottle I uncapped after 3 weeks of bottle conditioning. Between that first bottle (which was just somewhat oxidized), and all the rest I've uncapped up to 3 weeks later, its gotten way worse. It has turned the beer probably over double the SRM it should be (projected at about 5, it's probably really 10 or higher, and is just an ugly brown/deep burnt orange color). This is the first time this has happened to me, so I'm curious where it could have come from, but my thought on what might have been a factor follows.....

This was a re-brew of a very successful saison I had brewed just before it, all I did was use 565 instead of 3711, and hopped it more (included a dry hop). The main thing I did different here was after I bottled I placed them in my garage which easily gets to 90 degrees during the day, and maybe even the high 90's. I figured if 565 can handle these temps during fermentation, why not use the high temp during bottling. Anyway, every part of the process was no different than what I normally do.

Anyone think the conditioning at high temps (after *some* oxygen would naturally be introduced to it during the bottling phase) caused the excessively fast oxidation to occur?

It's an unavoidable truism that oxidation is moderated by temperature. If you introduced a lot of air, prolonged high temperature exposure is only going to accelerate the inevitable...

Cheers!

I not sure how it happened but right in the bend of my auto siphon racking cane it got a crack. I was racking a carboy into a keg and I walked by when it was about 3/4 of the way done and heard a little whistle. At first I thought it was the tube on the cane until I ran my finger over the cane elbow and it stopped hissing. Needless to say I just forced carbed the keg and drank it fairly quick.

Higher temp = faster oxidation

Purely in terms of reducing oxidation, you'd want your beer to be at room temp just long enough to carbonate, then stored at cooler temperatures until you drink it.

So this is one of the weirdest things I've encountered yet in brewing. I'm finally getting around to dumping every bottle as they don't taste very good to me- that super old stale beer flavor. So I'm dumping out all these beers with a gross brownish color, and then I start dumping one that looks nicely golden... I'm like, WTF??? so I saved it and poured it into a glass. TASTES GREAT. Yet EVERY single other bottle was murky brown and gross. The weird thing is that I actually know the golden nice tasting one was the very first bottle I did during bottling. I always note which it is because usually that is the one that I try to see what the extra oxygen from starting the auto-siphen does to the flavor. Anyway, this one was obviously the only one that didn't go to ****e. I am completely befuddled. Anyone have any ideas how every bottle could be affected like this but the first one I bottled? Every bottle got the same storage conditions as described in the first post. Here is a pic of the beers.....
20140915_174553.jpg

So this is one of the weirdest things I've encountered yet in brewing. I'm finally getting around to dumping every bottle as they don't taste very good to me- that super old stale beer flavor. So I'm dumping out all these beers with a gross brownish color, and then I start dumping one that looks nicely golden... I'm like, WTF??? so I saved it and poured it into a glass. TASTES GREAT. Yet EVERY single other bottle was murky brown and gross. The weird thing is that I actually know the golden nice tasting one was the very first bottle I did during bottling. I always note which it is because usually that is the one that I try to see what the extra oxygen from starting the auto-siphen does to the flavor. Anyway, this one was obviously the only one that didn't go to ****e. I am completely befuddled. Anyone have any ideas how every bottle could be affected like this but the first one I bottled? Every bottle got the same storage conditions as described in the first post. Here is a pic of the beers.....
20140915_174553.jpg

Holy Oxidation Damn

Back