Maintaining mash temp in a stainless mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpferris

Reaction score
Hello all. I just acquired a nice used all grain setup that I am starting brewing with. I have done a fair amount of reading and decided to just start directly in all grain rather than extract. As for the setup, I have 15g stainless mashtun with a false bottom and as well as another 15g stainless for the boil. I also have an 8g stainless pot that can be used for strike and sparge water.

I will primarily be brewing 5g batches. If I heat the strike water to the appropriate temp from brewsmith based on my recipe, I am wondering how I can maintain the mash temp in a stainless pot during the 1h mash.

In most of the youtube videos I have watched, people are mostly using igloo coolers for the mash tun which are insulated and prevent a signigicant portion of the heat lost.

If I wrap the 15g mash tun with a "furniture blanket" or something similar, would that be enough insulation to keep me close to mash temp?

Any other suggestions? Sorry if this has been asked before...I searched this forum and didn't see anything that addressed this directly.

Thanks and I look forward to getting started and contributing to the site!

I wrap my keg mash tun in a furniture blanket and secure with a ratchet strap. No issues maintaining temp for an hour mash, even in cold weather (I brew outside). However, I brew 10 gallon batches, so more of the tun is full of mash and there is a larger thermal mass.

...If I wrap the 15g mash tun with a "furniture blanket" or something similar, would that be enough insulation to keep me close to mash temp?...

That is what i do, make sure the top and bottom are "covered" as much as possible too. I have seen others using a sleeping bag as another option.

You've got 2 options:

1) Insulate it so that heat doesn't escape very fast. Blankets, sleeping bags etc are fine. Some people really like the reflective bubble insulation since it can be wiped down and easily cut to fit.

2) Add heat during the mash. That is much harder to do in a controlled way. Lots of people have fancy systems to recirculate the mash, complete with digital controllers, temp sensors etc. Some people just fire the flame back up for a minute and stir like crazy.

Some people really like the reflective bubble insulation since it can be wiped down and easily cut to fit.

I have heard that as well. Anyone know where you can get that stuff? I can totally envision what you are talking about, but I have no idea what that stuff really is or where to acquire it.

If I can't find that easily, seems like I will go with the furniture blanket and ratchet strap approach. Seems easy enough.

I have heard that as well. Anyone know where you can get that stuff? I can totally envision what you are talking about, but I have no idea what that stuff really is or where to acquire it.

If I can't find that easily, seems like I will go with the furniture blanket and ratchet strap approach. Seems easy enough.

The "big box" hardware stores have it, water heater insulation.

Reading Brew like a pro at the moment, it suggest;

Make a recirc system. The mash tun gravity drains to a grant (a 5G stainless steel stock pot) fitted with a electric heater and a thermostat from which a food grade pump, pumps the wort back to the top of the grain bed.

This method means you get a constant temp, you can to stepped rest easily, you won't have problems with uneven mixing of the mash, you don't need to mix the grist during the mash and you wort will have plenty of time to clarify.

Disadvantage is its expensive.

You could always clad it with wood which is what most breweries do.

I use 5-6 layers of the aluminized bubble wrap to insulate my tun. In my Lowes it wasn't with the water heater insulation, it was up front past the aisles with fittings, but before the lumber. There was other sheet insulation there (for a garage door?), but I don't think it was with the rolls of pink stuff.

Back