Maintaining a copper wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvanMyl

Reaction score
Pardon the noobness (in more ways than one) of the question.

I got a copper coil wort chiller and, while I can make sure the outer surface is well taken care of (cleaned and dried after every use), I'm not sure how to avoid left-over water corroding the inside of the coil.

Is there anything I can do about it, or will I have to accept buying a new wort chiller every now and then?

You could rig up a garden sprayer to pump air through it, or as I do and just attach a peace of tubing and use my own air to clear it out. I don't think water running through it and a little getting left behind so going to do much damage....

Pardon the noobness (in more ways than one) of the question.

I got a copper coil wort chiller and, while I can make sure the outer surface is well taken care of (cleaned and dried after every use), I'm not sure how to avoid left-over water corroding the inside of the coil.

Is there anything I can do about it, or will I have to accept buying a new wort chiller every now and then?

Is this an immersion copper chiller?

In any event, the copper is not going to corrode with left over water left inside of it, after all, piping used in houses are copper and have chlorinated water in them 24/7.

The only thing that would damage a copper cooler is if there was starsan inside of it as that is acidic and can dissolve it.

Good points, thanks.
Yes, it is an immersion chiller.

Is this an immersion copper chiller?

In any event, the copper is not going to corrode with left over water left inside of it, after all, piping used in houses are copper and have chlorinated water in them 24/7.

The only thing that would damage a copper cooler is if there was starsan inside of it as that is acidic and can dissolve it.

I drain my chiller by inverting it on a deck rail. I also store it inverted next to the hop spider and inverted boil kettle and mash tun on a wire storage rack. I've learned to place it on the top rack so the hoses dangle down so they don't trap residual moisture.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hold the chiller upside-down, and at an angle. Slowly rotate it around with the coil part swinging outward, in the direction such that water inside will run outward. Do this until no more water drains out. It takes a good 2 or 3 minutes for it all to make its way out of the coils.

like someone other mentioned as long as the pipe doesn't freeze don't worry about left over water in the tube. pipes in your house have water sitting in them 24/7/365 and as long as they don't freeze no worries, they aren't going to corrode in your life time....

As said above just hang it upside down and the water will drain from it. Also if a little corrosion does happen you can just recirculate some vinegar or starsan through it to clean it up. just rinse it with fresh water afterwards.

I accidentally put my immersion chiller in my sanitizer tub while brewing.. (And drinking)... And left it there for a couple days. I was cleaning that stuff up and noticed my chiller sitting in starsan. The acid looks to have eaten up the outside of the copper and it has a funky metallic smell. Am I safe to use? Or should I make another one.

Back