Maine breweries to visit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leezer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am visiting Maine soon and looking for recommendations of breweries to check out in the York/Wells/Kennebunk/Portland areas. I was looking at some info on the Maine Brewers Guild website and there are quite a few. Looking to try and narrow it down and looking for places with tours available. Thanks.

Good timing - I just moved back to the Portland area.
Portland has quite a few; Shipyard is right in downtown. There are quite a few good pubs near there and one could easily spend all night in the Old Port stumbling about. Plenty of smaller Micropubs.
Also in Portland is Allagash (a very QUICK tour - but good). I haven't been to Geary's, but I really like their beer. Those two are near each other.

Can't say too much about south of Portland.

I know nothing about Maine, but I know it's not too far from Vermont. If I were anywhere near that part of the country, I'd visit The Alchemist and Hill Farmstead. But that's probably not gonna help you out much...

+ for shipyard. It's a smaller brewery but fun and good. We visited from so cal and would go again

Definitely Allagash. They are doing some really cool stuff there that I had no idea about before going (barrel aging, etc). There are some very small breweries across the street that aren't amazing but kind of cool and local.

There is a cool place in Portland called Liquid Riot. It is a brewpub and distillery. Good food also.

I love Maine Beer Co but was disappointed in their brewery. It is very small, no tours, poor service and not even a brewery only beer when I went (despite the website saying there is).

Also, while not a brewery Nosh Kitchen Bar is a great place for food and beer. It was on Travel Channel or Food Network. Good burgers there and open late.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Thanks all, I appreciate the info and suggestions. Sounds like some good options in Portland. Cheers.

In Portland:
novare res - you can't find a more thorough bottle and draft list
The great lost bear - another great tap room.
+1 for liquid riot. Great room and good choices of both beer and spirits
+1 for Shipyard. Great tour and tastings.

Gritty McDuffs is a must visit. I prefer the Freeport location for the space, but Portland is more lively. Shipyard is good.

Doubt they have a tour, but be on the look out for when Bissell Brothers has their beer for sale. Small brewery that puts out some awesome beers - Substance for one. Maybe you'll see the Green Bastard driving around town.

Allagash, Foundation, Bissell Bros and Geary's are basically on the same street as well as New England Distilling. Closer to the water you'll find Liquid Riot, Sebago, Gritty's and Rising Tide.

If you're looking for a good beer store, skip the Craft Beer Cellar and hit up Old Port Spirits and Cigars.

Another vote for the Great Lost Bear. Clear your schedule for the rest of the day.

My wife and I make the trip up to Portland from CT a few times a year.

Go to 1 Industrial Way and visit Bissell Bros, walk 20' to Foundation and grab as much Ephiphany as you can since they have it on today. Then walk around to the back of the building to Austin St Brewing and grab some great brett IPAs. Then you can either leave your car there or drive it 20 secs to Allagash.

If you somehow make it out of there and want to go anywhere else, you can try going downtown. On the way down, you can hit up Great Lost Bear and Maine Homebrew Supply, which is literally next door. Novare Res is by far the best beer bar in Portland. If "Jesse5grain" is there, ask her for suggestions on sours. Another great beer bar that's often overlooked is King's Head down on the water. Food wise down there, I liked Central Provisions, J's Oyster Bar for seafood, or Po Boys and Pickles for bangin sandwiches on the cheap. Thirsty Pig is good, but I expected more. On the outskirts of downtown, hit up Rising Tide. Walking distance from there is Bunker, but I wasn't that impressed with their beer.

You could then go north up to Freeport and hit up Maine Brewing Co, but as someone else said, the brewery visit is kind of a let down. Across from there is Buck's Naked BBQ - been there once and was happy. Nearby is LL Bean and other stores if you are the tourist/shopping type.

If you go south of Portland, check out Barreled Souls-I was very impressed with all of their beers. Also nearby for food is great pizza at When Pigs Fly.

One other place I've been meaning to go is Ebenezer's Pub, but that's more than an hour+ from Portland.

Have a great trip.

We ended up sticking with Portland. Went to 1 Industrial Drive and the downtown area. So many we didn't get to try, but definitely liked Gritty's and Geary's. And my husband and I both agreed the tour and tasting at Allagash was worth doing. Had never been to Portland, what a great place to walk around, many cobblestone streets and shops. Still lots more we can check out the next time!

Just in case anyone is up there soon Maine Beer Co is releasing their DIPA only at the brewery on the 24th:

Dinner Release #7

Saturday October 24th, 2015

1 case limit per person.
$8 per bottle (12 bottles per case)
Please have your ID ready.
Doors will open at 7am!

Dinner is a brewery-only release and will not be distributed anywhere else.

Our Tasting Room will be open for regular business hours 11am-7pm.
Other brands of our beer will be available for purchase.
No draft beer will be sold before 11am.

Thank you to everyone who continues to come out for our Dinner releases! We appreciate your continued support and look forward to seeing you on the 24th!

Cheers!
The MBC Crew

Back