Magnesium Chloride

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As you can tell, I rarely treat my water. I have had great results brewing all sorts of pale hoppy beers with no water treatment. This was an attempt to take advice from a local brewer and use magnesium chloride to add chloride but not affect the sulfate level. Base magnesium for my water is 2 ppm. I added 46 grams of Magnesium Chloride to 22 gallons of brewing water.

According to Brewer's Friend water calculator my profile looks like this: https://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/?id=7KRLWGY

68 ppm MG2, 195 ppm CL, and 76 ppm SO4

I am unsure as to how to calculate the total ppm contribution of these elements. Would I assume that the ppm listed on the MSDS/Analysis sheet posted is the total contribution to my beer?

In addition to the heavy metals contamination potential, I'd be worried about the potential for bitterness from 68 ppm magnesium. My well water has 55 ppm magnesium, but the most I've ever used of it was 33%, along with 66% RO. A practice I've since stopped.

John Palmer's book titled 'Water' states that 40 ppm should be the upper limit, but then immediately after that it quotes a source indicating that 86 ppm is the point where bitterness becomes apparent, so 68 ppm is splitting the difference.

Did anyone actually tried to Google... For example.... Magnesium chloride heavy metals?

The first hits say that zechstein is below 10ppm in heavy metals. Just as I said before, judge for yourself, wild guessing doesn't help anyone.

Did anyone actually tried to Google... For example.... Magnesium chloride heavy metals?

The first hits say that zechstein is below 10ppm in heavy metals. Just as I said before, judge for yourself, wild guessing doesn't help anyone.

Bilsch linked the datasheet a few pages back:

http://www.genuinezechstein.com/genuine-zechstein-coa-a101-a901.pdf

Manganese - 1.01 ppm
Antimony - 0.224 ppm
Barium - 0.209 ppm
Copper - 0.1 ppm
Molybdenum - 0.161 ppm
Selenium - 8.06 ppm
Zinc - 0.206 ppm

Back