Magic Hat: Blind Faith IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolishStout

Reaction score
Blind Faith IPA: "60 IBUs of Apollo and Cascade Hops!"

picked up a 6 pack from the corner party store. the shop owner/cashier asked me if I had tried it yet, and said it was "really good".

Poured into a stemless red wine glass. Nice copper/amber color in appearance. Nearly a two finger head which quickly receded. Pretty decent lacing.

Right off the bat I'm not impressed by the taste, but slightly intrigued. I was surprised by the lack of floral aroma for the style, and there's not as present of a citrus flavor as I would expect from the cascade hops. Apollo hops I'm not familiar with but I looked them up and found it's a very high alpha acid hop with a mild fruity flavor. The taste is crisp, mildly citrusy, and then there's a not too intense but astringent bitterness that lasts long after.

I was also surprised by the lack of body in this IPA. Very light and crisp with a slight burst of excess carbonation which seems to evenly distribute the bitterness of the Apollo across the palate. I went on Magic Hat's website and found that they use an English yeast strain with this brew, which now makes sense.

An interesting idea by Magic Hat. Making an IPA in the English style but using American hops. I was not expecting that at first and was somewhat put off. but after educating myself a little as to what I was in for and imbibing in a bit more to allow my palate to understand these bitter Apollo hops, I would definitely buy this brew again, though it wouldn't be my first choice.

I'm having one right now from their Summer Scene variety 12-pack. Very interesting for sure. I immediately logged on to HBT see what others have said and figure out the hops. I never would have guessed cascades in this beer. I can surely see this as a summer IPA though.

Back