Magic hat #9 or Dogfish Apicot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbydigital

Reaction score
Hey everyone. This is my first post. Im pretty new to brewing, ive done one batch so far(amber) and fermenting a second now(wheat).

But for my third i wanted to make a clone of one of my fav beers....

Anyone know how i can make like MAGIC HAT #9?
Or dogfish head aprihop. (ipa apricot)

Im real new to this and the lingo.. so bear with me with explainations.

THanks!

Try this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=186810&postcount=28

Thanks for reminding me of this... I needed a recipe to brew over an American Ale yeast cake that I have (or will once I rack to the secondary this evening), and as I'm nearly out of my #9, this gives me an excuse to brew up another batch!

I'll be going with the higher alcohol version (using the values in the () in the recipe), but the original version comes out of the Clonebrews book.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow your really awsome....
I wish i would of know about this website a month ago or so.
thankyou so much.

search magic hat on the forum, I made a clone a while back, came out pretty good, I would suggest using maybe 1/2 to 1/4 of the apricot extract that is listed, add it at bottling, and taste, see if you want more flavor. Its been many years since i had #9, but I remember the apricot being very much in the background, I added 2oz ff extract and it was still too apricotty (hah) and had a weird bitterness. I plan on making this again in the fall but using real apricots next time.

Ahh, screw it, here is my recipe from my brewlog
Magic Hat #9 Clone
1/13/07

1/2 # Crystal 60L
6# Extra Light DME
1# Wheat DME

2oz Tettnanger 4.8% aa (60 min)
0.5 oz Amarillo 9.8% aa (15 min)

Wyeast American Ale 1056 smack pack (73-77% Attenuation)

-Milled Grain and steeped in 5 gallons water, brought to 160*F and held 30 min.
-Remove grains, bring wort to boil, add DME and 2oz Tettnanger
-Boil 45 minutes
-Add 1 tsp irish moss and 0.5oz Amarillo, boil 15 min
-Transfer to bucket through strainer, transfer to carboy through funnel filter
-let cool to 82*F, pitched yeast

SG: 1.060
ABV: 8%

1/14/07 nice 1.5” krausen next morning, rapid bubbling, slowed to ~1bps in afternoon

1/17/17 At 1 bubble per 40 seconds

1/21/07 Racked to secondary and added ~2oz apricot extract
SG 1.014 @ 74*F (1.016 temperature corrected) (73% attenuation!!)
1/28/07 SG 1.014 @ 70*F (1.015 temp corrected)
2/3/07 FG 1.014 @ 72*F (1.015 temp corrected), bottled in 12oz bottles w/ ¾ cup corn sugar, 49 total, 6% ABV

Taking my own advice, I brewed this up last night.

Pitched onto an American Ale yeast cake, and had massive action this morning. Pitched to the cake at 11PM, bubbles by 7AM. Got to love massive pitch rates!

Bobbydigital, if the emails I sent you helped, you might consider posting the recipe with instructions here as well... though it looks mighty similar to ColoradoXJ13's recipe/process. :mug:

butler1850 said:
Pitched onto an American Ale yeast cake, and had massive action this morning. Pitched to the cake at 11PM, bubbles by 7AM. Got to love massive pitch rates!
:off: Actually, that seems like a pretty slow start for pitching on a yeast cake? I've only done it once, but when I did I had a bubbling airlock in minutes, and massive blowoff in <2 hours

Well, I'm sure it was bubbling much earlier than 7AM, but I didn't wake up in the middle of the night to verify. :D

Good krausening (left LOTS of headspace), and temps are in the low-mid 60s still in the basement. I also may have slightly overcooled the wort with my new wort chiller (those things are AMAZING! :rockin: ).

Back