Made My Own Fermenting Jacket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GioGomez2010

Reaction score
I don't have a fridge for temp control but I know it has a huge impact on your beer. I don't want to spend the extra $$ to build a ferm chamber at the moment so I looked into getting a fermenting jacket to hold me over. I thought I could build my own for cheaper and here is the final result.

I tested this out, and with one 20 oz frozen bottle I got the temp. inside to 50°-52° after 20 minutes, so I know I can at least chill the inside and there's no leaks Haha With a full fermenter I assume the temperature will be higher but Ill have to test and see how much. Total supplies cost me about $20 and a couple of hours of time.

View attachment 1469341751565.jpg

I had the same idea last week. I had an old bag for carrying around desktop computers. It's nylon so it doesn't leak much, foam lined for insulation, and it fully zips open. I also found that LME containers make decent ice packs.

image.jpeg

supply list?

So I bought the following:

1 1/3 yd. Polyester fabric for Inner lining (They sold me the extra for a discount.)
1 yd. Cotton Fabric for Outer lining
2 yds. Insulbright For Insulative Layer
48" Zipper

I had left overs of all fabrics but not a ton.

supply list?

So I bought the following:

1 1/3 yd. Polyester fabric for Inner lining (They sold me the extra for a discount.)
1 yd. Cotton Fabric for Outer lining
2 yds. Insulbright For Insulative Layer
48" Zipper

I had left overs of all fabrics but not a ton.

It keeps mid 60s. I can add a second ice pack and it will drop below 60.
I like what you've done. I doubt I could put that together but my wife can.

Latest posts

Back