Made my MASH PADDLE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryanjints

Reaction score
I was using an old spatula and it didn't work well. This should work much better. Hand carved maple paddle. Gonna try it out on 2 brews today. I will let you know how it works.

IMG_0728.jpg

Worked great. I don't know why I didn't make one of these a long time ago. I didn't treat it with anything. I thought about treating it with some lynseed oil. Then I decided not too. I figure I will soak it in oxyclean when I am done and then spray it with sanitizer when I put it away. The thought of small amounts of lynseed oil getting into my mash turned me off. Even though it prolly wouldn't make a difference.

Hit my mash temp and 15 minutes in it is holding fine.

IMG_0729.jpg

Here is the set up for brew day today. It's never the same twice. Although this set up is great I may do it this way again.

IMG_0730.jpg

man I really have to get off my butt and make one of these. I've got a crap load of hardwood downstairs and a full woodshop. I am ashamed... lol

man I really have to get off my butt and make one of these. I've got a crap load of hardwood downstairs and a full woodshop. I am ashamed... lol

Yup thats why I finally got it done. I was ashamed to have the supplies on hand and not have it done. It took less than an hour to make it.

Don't treat the wood with anything at all. Even small amounts of oil getting into the beer would not be a good thing. I would not soak it in Oxyclean either. Just rinse it off well and let air dry. You could use some dish detergent (Dawn etc) without problems, but be sure to rinse it well. No need to sanitize it as it will only be used pre-boil. OTOH, StarSan won't damage it, so you could use that without worry.

Back