made friends with the neighbor---NOT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the popocome visit and ask me to build them a case. Video every public urination and loud noise incident. I this k I will video the dope buys the at happen as well gotta love ca

He's the popo.

Then he should know better. The castle law sounds great on paper, but in reality it has more holes than a colander.

Had the popocome visit and ask me to build them a case.

So they asked you to do their job for them???:eek:
And I thought Miami cops were useless...

Nice. If me and the woman split, I know where I'm going for vacation.:mug:

Oh, yeah. Believe me: you'd have quite an experience there.:rockin:

Inodoro_Pereyra said:
Other than that, Americans have a big problem, pretty much anywhere else in the world: you have to answer for your government's actions. That alone makes you very unpopular in most countries...:(

Is this a joke? I've been a lot of places, Jack, and I can tell you we are either admired or envied the world over. Keep in mind that in 200+ years our government has resulted in a world power while at the same time the most altruistic country in the world.

Typical Canadian to group an entire nation on the response of a handful of people. You sound like my customer from Quebec, he rambles on and on how lazy Americans are but he's a stay at home husband.

I sure hope the irony is intentional. :D

Is this a joke? I've been a lot of places, Jack, and I can tell you we are either admired or envied the world over. Keep in mind that in 200+ years our government has resulted in a world power while at the same time the most altruistic country in the world.

No, it's not a joke. You may have been in a lot of places, but I've LIVED in one of them for the first 35 years of my life, and, now in Miami, I deal daily with people from a lot of other places.
Either way, I refuse to derail this thread. You can choose to believe anything you want. Truth is, you're living in a dream world.

Yep.
Yet I have used my machete already. How many guys have seen the wrong end of your glock?

How this became a pissing match between you and everyone else is beyond me, but unfortunately, other weapons of mine have seen use. Maybe my Glock is my good-luck weapon. I never really considered that.

I admit to not knowing much about Florida's castle law, but I have experience with how it is applied in other places, and in reference to the OP's problem (if it wasn't CA of course), he would be in the right protecting himself from someone who came onto his property with violent intentions.

How this became a pissing match between you and everyone else is beyond me,

I didn't realize this was a match of any kind.:confused:
You stated the machete was stupid. I think, for most people, a gun is stupider than a machete.
My point is you don't need to hurt people with a machete. I haven't. But when a former roommate thought he had a right to come kick my door, it just took one swing of my machete to change his mind, no bloodshed needed. With a gun, most of the time, you need to shoot.

I don't have a lot of experience with the castle law, but I can tell you about one case I do know.
A few years ago, while I was working at an electrical company, one of the foremen (not my foreman, but I had worked with the guy a couple of times before) got his house broken into one night. The intruder had a gun. This guy shot the intruder with a 12 gauge, but didn't kill him, just left him paralyzed from the waist down. The guy hadn't left the hospital, and he was already suing my coworker.
Bottom line, you do have the right to protect your home, but:

• You better kill the perp, if you don't want him to come after you (I mean, legally come after you).
  • You better kill him with just one shot, or else you're going down for murder.

Now maybe we're different. I don't like having to kill anybody to get my point across. So if playing with a knife gets the job done without victims, then I'm all for it.

I didn't realize this was a match of any kind.:confused:

Well challenging me to say how many people have stared down my gun seemed a little strange...

With a gun, most of the time, you need to shoot.

Are you saying that most of the time, someone with a gun pointed at them ignores it? This is something I can 100% say is dead wrong, because if it wasn't, I'd have upwards of 200 confirmed kills.

The guy hadn't left the hospital, and he was already suing my coworker.

Means nothing. anyone can sue anyone, its a civil action. I can sue you for questioning me if I wanted to. You don't even need a lawyer to bring a lawsuit against someone. What was the outcome of the case?

You better kill him with just one shot, or else you're going down for murder.

This does apply because technically, the second shot could be considered unecessary. Self-defense laws require the need for self-defense. If I blasted an intruder with a shotgun, and he's now laying on the floor with his leg torn apart, unless he has a gun and I can articulate a continuing threat, then yes, the second shot is possibly going to cause me legal trouble.

Now maybe we're different. I don't like having to kill anybody to get my point across. So if playing with a knife gets the job done without victims, then I'm all for it.

Again, personally, I have never seen a single person challenge a gun being pointed at them. I'm sure its happened of course, but anyone willing to disregard a pointed firearm is going to do the same thing when faced with a machete.

Then he should know better. The castle law sounds great on paper, but in reality it has more holes than a colander.

So they asked you to do their job for them:

Well they cant sit in front of my house all day andvthe guy would not act out if they did. So i was asked to document each incident for the to prosicute. I have no problems with it.

Well challenging me to say how many people have stared down my gun seemed a little strange...

Well, you're the one who said the machete was stupid.

Are you saying that most of the time, someone with a gun pointed at them ignores it? This is something I can 100% say is dead wrong, because if it wasn't, I'd have upwards of 200 confirmed kills.

You're a cop. People know you've been trained to use your gun, and you will use it if necessary.
With a civilian, that's different. I have held a gun to someone's head, and know first hand there's a big difference between pointing a gun, and using it.

Means nothing. anyone can sue anyone, its a civil action. I can sue you for questioning me if I wanted to. You don't even need a lawyer to bring a lawsuit against someone. What was the outcome of the case?

The perp won. My coworker ended up having to sell his house to pay him the "damages".

This does apply because technically, the second shot could be considered unecessary. Self-defense laws require the need for self-defense. If I blasted an intruder with a shotgun, and he's now laying on the floor with his leg torn apart, unless he has a gun and I can articulate a continuing threat, then yes, the second shot is possibly going to cause me legal trouble.

Exactly. So, if you happen to respect life, or if you're just a bad shot, you're faced with one hell of a tough choice: either you pay for protecting yourself, or you go to jail for it.

anyone willing to disregard a pointed firearm is going to do the same thing when faced with a machete.

Been there in both scenarios. One thing I've discovered is that the chance of being cut open and slowly bleed to death is a lot scarier than death itself.

Well they cant sit in front of my house all day andvthe guy would not act out if they did. So i was asked to document each incident for the to prosicute. I have no problems with it.

To prosecute him for what? Public disturbance?
The guy is a junkie. All they have to do is bust him when he's buying.

Actually they want to get him for indecent exposure and make him a sex offender for pulling it out and peeing in the front yard in front of people and children. If he wants to be a dick the cops will do him right. We are already getting him for the noise

Actually they want to get him for indecent exposure and make him a sex offender for pulling it out and peeing in the front yard in front of people and children. If he wants to be a dick the cops will do him right. We are already getting him for the noise

Oh, now I get you. That sounds a lot better...

Had the popocome visit and ask me to build them a case. Video every public urination and loud noise incident. I this k I will video the dope buys the at happen as well gotta love ca

The guy already (allegedly) damaged your property and threatened you with violence and the local police solution was to have you play double agent neighbor. He put a bottle through your window over a phone call. What do you think he will want to do to you when they make you testify about the evidence you gather for his big court case.

It's bad enough that the Local LEOs asked you to do their job, basically putting you and your family further into harms way. The fact that you willingly agreed, I gotta know, what are you thinking?

Well, you're the one who said the machete was stupid.

The perp won. My coworker ended up having to sell his house to pay him the "damages".

I didn't know the context of the suggestion. I was responding to the canadian who decided to blanket all Americans with a label. I didn't see a machete mentioned.

Id like to know how that happened, because either he did something you don't know, or Floridas law is ridiculous. Even here, and we don't really have a Castle Law per-se, people rarely have problems with self-defense in the home. A few years ago a guy with an illegal gun blasted and killed someone who broke into his apartment. His only charge was for the gun, and it was a misdemeanor.

I didn't know the context of the suggestion. I was responding to the canadian who decided to blanket all Americans with a label. I didn't see a machete mentioned.

My bad then. Sorry.

Id like to know how that happened, because either he did something you don't know, or Floridas law is ridiculous.

Maybe. I'm inclined towards the latter.
All I know is, when he got back to work, he told us (like it was funny) the cop told him he should've killed the guy. A few months later, he wasn't laughing anymore.
But even cops and lawyers admit the law is flawed. Take, for example, the whole "number of bullets" thing. Let's suppose somebody breaks into my house, and I have a gun, instead of a shotgun (I'm partial to the Sig-Sauer P229 myself ;)). So I shoot the perp once in the head, and everything is just peachy: self defense. Now, you're a pro. Tell me: how many untrained people you know that can shoot someone in the head, in the dark, and under duress?:rolleyes:
But then, for whatever reason, I don't kill the guy with the first shot, and I shoot again. Now I'm a murderer, because "I didn't need" to shoot him the second time. What if the guy was reaching for his gun? Well, I don't have a way to prove that, do I?
But, instead of shooting him twice, I empty my whole clip on him. Now, all of a sudden, I'm not a murderer anymore!!! I just emptied my clip on him because I was freaked out!!!:eek:

See what I mean?

I was the popo for 15.5 years so in understand where they are coming from. This guy don't bother me when it comes to court or what he will do. The popo cannot sit there all day so i have to provide proof that there was a crime commited beforevthey can do anything. The popo is not here to protect me they are here to investigate crimes that have been commited. So if I want them to do anything about it I must provide proof of a crime for them to work.

Inodoro_Pereyra said:
No, it's not a joke. You may have been in a lot of places, but I've LIVED in one of them for the first 35 years of my life, and, now in Miami, I deal daily with people from a lot of other places.
Either way, I refuse to derail this thread. You can choose to believe anything you want. Truth is, you're living in a dream world.

That's funny, because I've been to Miami a handful of times. I seem to remember a good number of people who chose to leave their country to move to this one. That's truth. Obviously we disagree with each other. We can just leave it at that, and you can stay in the good old USA or go back to whatever ****hole country you came from. Doesn't matter to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back