Made a promise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deafmeadmaker

Deafmeadmaker
Reaction score
I told a friend that I could make a honey German wheat for when he comes down next summer. After doing the research I discovered it's not a good idea to add natural honey to the brew. The yeast would go to town on it. I read about a hops that delivers the taste of honey, but can't recall where I saw it. It began with a 'B' I think. if anyone has suggestions on how I can get the taste of honey into a beer?

Lots of brewers add honey to beer. It doesn't add sweetness though - all the sugar ferments leaving a subtle honey flavour. Might be hard to taste it in a German wheat if you use a 'proper' German wheat yeast.

Use honey malt for the main honey flavor and add honey later in the ferment if you want. As mentioned above, you get little honey flavor from the honey.

i love honey malt...

if you use honey, just make sure to take that into consideration, for your ABV. it still imparts alot of flavor.

ive done IIPAs with honey malt and honey. yummy. :drunk:

I don't know if this is what you are looking for but I've recently been intrigued by this:

Caramel 10 10 L : This malt adds a light honey-like sweetness and some body to the finished beer. - Palmer

I'm going to try it in one of my next ones. Not sure the extent or intensity of honey-like, though may try it in a simple brew to find out.

I've used caramel/crystal 10L in some of my beers & it never gave a honey-like sweetness. just a little non-descript malty sweetness. A half pound of honey malt-gambrinus comes to mind-will lend some honey-like flavor.

I just finished fermenting an American honey wheat. I added 3/4 lb. of orange blossom honey at day 4 of fermenting. Heated the honey in hot water to thin it out and then the entire bottle into star sans. Opened it and poured it all around. Fermentation kicked back up as expected but absolutely no issues with flavor at all. It has a great honey back bone to it.

If raw honey has yeast in or on it how come its shelf life can be measured in decades if not hundreds of years http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey#cite_note-73

Honey has tons of things in it.... including parts of bees. Honey is very antibacterial. Honey can contain botchalism a toxin produced a bacteria and should never be given to kids under 2. Having these things does not make it last any less time because of its antibacterial properties. In ancient Egyptian times and I'm sure others, it was used to dress wounds and still would be used today if not for all the drug companies.

Back