Macro beer carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StittsvilleJames

Reaction score
How do the big corporate beers carbonate their beer, if they don't carbonate using yeast in the bottles?

Do they have some sort of carbonation machine to add CO2 to each bottle, or is there some other trick to being able to filter out yeast and still cabonate?

I just know the majority of my friends (mostly Molson / Labatt drinkers) will not be able to wrap their heads around having bottle conditioned beers, and will allow the fact that it has sediment to warp their opinions of my creation.

I guess I could just find some better friends if I have to. Maybe I'll just stop random passers-by and if they like my beer, they get to my friend!

Not sure, but I think they filter then my guess is some type of carbonation stone/device. If your friends don't like the idea of bottle conditioning that means more for you.

B

most macrobreweries ferment under pressure. That means they control the ammount of co2 at each step of the beer making process. All they do is filter, add to bottles and cap

krumb said:
carb in keg...then beer gun...?

This is the easiest way. You could filter or use finings to really clear it up first.

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

Teri Fahrendorf the former Brewmaster at Steelhead and now the Specialty Malt Account Manager at Great Western Malting has a excellent guide on her website for homebrewers who want to try closed pressurized fermentation like most macros use .

Most breweries macro and micros only top up with external CO2 if they have to and the big breweries try and recover as much of it as possible so they don't have to buy any and also reduce their carbon footprint .So they are bottle conditioning..... just in a huge bottle called a pressurized conical fermenter .

They filter the beer under pressure and send it to the bright beer tanks for packaging in kegs or bottles/cans ect .

http://www.terifahrendorf.com/

Thanks for this link, Matt! It really is a well written guide and once I get back to brewing, I plan on giving it a shot.

Latest posts

Back