Märzen - Critique and Name

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley_Bob

Reaction score
On principle, I am generally against recipe critiques. I figure, if you're going to do something, then just damn the torpedoes and go for it (especially on a quick turnaround ale). However, for my next brew I want to do a marzen, and, not only that, but I am going to baby this sweet thing. She'll get so much time and attention my wife and kids will think I have a mistress hiding in the basement (which I will, actually). I'm planning to brew at the end of January or beginning of February, and, after primary, I'm going to lager until August. With so much effort going in, I want to make sure I get off to the right start with a great recipe.

I want this to be a big beer with a complex malty profile, and I want it to have a little spice to it. To give you an indication of my tastes: Spaten>Leinenkugel≈Paulaner>Sam Adam's>>Hofbrau. I hate Hofbrau's Oktoberfest, so let's stay as far away from that as possible. I like Paulaner's. It was easily drinkable, but the hop profile slapped me in the face on the first sip. It came across as raw and unrefined, but it smoothed out after a couple sips. Let's try to avoid that too.

Märzen/Oktoberfest
Batch Size: 5.5gal
Boil Size: 4gal
Boil Time: 60min
Mash: Partial Mash (Deathbrewer's method)
Efficiency: ~65% (expecting a little higher)
OG: 1.064
FG: 1.020
ABV: 5.79%
SRM Morey: 10.32
Yeast: White Labs WLP820 Oktoberfest/Märzen Lager
Starter: yes

Ingredients
2.5lb Pilsen LME
2.5lb Munich LME
3lb German Vienna
2lb American Wheat
1lb Victory
1lb Biscuit
.5lb Carapils (I have it and need to use it up (can throw it out if it's a problem))

.5oz Hallertau 60min
.5oz Tettnanger 60min
.5oz Tettnanger 30min
.5oz Mt Hood 30min
.5oz Mt Hood 15min
.5oz Hallertau 15min

Mash at ~152F for 45min in 2.5gal, sparge with .5gal, and teabag in 2gal (I'm trying to get the FG down some here. Any additional ideas on the subject are welcome).
Pitch ~50F
Primary ~2weeks at 52F
D-rest before secondary.
Lager 6 months at 32-35F

I actually really like what I have here, but I keep second guessing myself. Another thought I've had is that, if this is going to be too malty, I could sub in some rye to dry it out. I've also had a hard time getting it darker (not a surprise given all the wheat, pilsen, and vienna). I just don't want it to be light. The biscuit and victory are pulling it up, but I also don't want to overdo those.

Name
Send me a name with your critique. I'm looking for something classy.

Merry Christmas!

Technically, if you brew this recipe in Jan/Feb, it will be an oktoberfest, or a fest beer. A marzen must be brewed in March to be a true marzen, otherwise it is interchangeable with oktoberfests.

As far as the recipe goes, that much wheat is inappropriate for a marzen. If you want to keep it, I would say to use 0.5lb or so, and up the munich or vienna malt with the remaining weight. The addition of a small amount of dark crystal malt is appropriate for a marzen and will help with the color.

The flavor should be melanoiden-y. Which is usually achieved with decoction mashing. You may consider adding some melanoiden malt to get that aspect, if you will just be infusion mashing. Also, you can mash at ~148 instead of ~152 for a bit dryer profile. I used rye in my last marzen, but the beta-glucans in rye add a fair amount of body, even in low percentages. It tends to add spiciness and body, not so much dryness.

Just my opinions. I do love German fest beers though. Good luck.

1# of both victory & biscuit is too much. they're both basically the same, so I'd just pick one or the other, personally I'd pick neither. some melandoidin and/or caramunich could be subbed in make up for the color loss and add more appropriate flavors. I agree with ColoHox, 2lbs of wheat is also too much, ~0.5# would be better, but unnecessary esp with the carapils already there.

i would definitely simplify your hop schedule, its far too complicated for a beer with lil to no hop character. a single 60min add is all you need, maybe a lil at 30 or 15 too if wanted, but 3oz of hops is way too much

Latest posts

Back