Which of these should go when during the boil, Tettnanger, Hallertau?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
I have 2 ounces of each Tettnanger and Hallertau to go into my lager that I'm brewing this week. I'm trying to clone The Crisp from Sixpoint brewery and the only clue I have is this from their website: "the Tettnanger and Hallertau hops in THE CRISP are sourced 100% directly from farmers in Tettnang, Germany." I'm otherwise using another lager recipe that used Saaz hops that was 2oz through the whole boil, add 1oz at 30min remaining and 1oz at 15. Which should I use when? 9.5lbs of pilsner malt, 1lb of cara-pils and .25lbs of caramunich. The yeast is Octoberfest lager blend from Wyeast 2633 since I couldn't decide which specific one I wanted.

My usual routine is to make a 2 liter starter, cool it and start fermentation at 45 and ramp it up over a week's time. Sometimes I pour off the liquid and sometime I don't. I can't say it makes a difference. I get very clear beer.

Given what is said about this beer in reviews online, it's not a traditional German pilsener - no surprise as it's from an American craft brewery.

Sounds like they use a copious amount of whirlpool hops to give it a powerful hop aroma. It supposedly has 44 IBU. Split your hops 50/50 between first wort and 60 minutes (or 90) to achieve most of that bitterness. Add in a 5 minute addition for a few more IBU, then a large hopstand at 170-180F for about 30 minutes.

If in doubt, split each addition between the two hop varieties. Or lean more towards Hallertau for the bittering.

McKnuckle up there sounds pretty spot on.

I haven't brewed many pilsners but the 10 gallon batch we did most recently turned out great. Our grist was 100% pilsner malt with a 90 minute boil. We started with a .25oz first wort addition and then we did a 4oz 30 minute addition and then a smaller 2oz whirlpool addition. We split ours between saaz and hallertau blanc but you could use any noble hop to get that pilsner flavor. We yielded two 5 gallon corny kegs. One of them we dry hopped mostly with hallertau blanc. I'm really loving the Italian style dry hopped pilsners that people are starting to make.

Our brewing ancestors added hops incrementally to their lager brews...so when brewing a lager I generally do the same...ill do a 60-30-10. From what I've read about crisp it almost sounds like an Italian pilsner with a dry hop so something you may want to consider.

I'll need more hops to dry hop. I think I'll just mix them and see what happens. I'll get good beer in any case if not exactly like The Crisp.

Personally, I've used Tettnanger and HM in both my Kolsch and Helles. I prefer Tettnager as bittering (1oz@60) then a mix of both at 15 and 5. 1oz at 15, 0.5oz at 5. Never dry hopped with either. Both beers have been among my personal favorites.

I made the batch today and did 2oz at 70, 1oz at 15 and 1oz at 5. Mixed them 50/50 for all additions.

Brew day went pretty smoothly. I'm letting the wort settle in a large carboy, then I'll split it into two 3gallon square Better Bottles and pitch the yeast straight from the stir plate where there is 2L of starter. Then in the fridge at 45, ramping up through the week. The two 3gallon bottles fit nice and squarely in my fridge.

What was the alpha acid %? 2 ozs at 70, 1 oz at 15 and 1 oz at 5 is a lot. Beersmith is giving me 41 IBU for the same beer. I usually shoot for 21-24 IBU for my Helles.

I have to agree with wepeeler. Check the acids, If you are following a Saaz recipe withother hops, saaz is very low in acid. While neither Hallertau or Tettnanger are high alpha, both are usually higher than Saaz

I was shooting for 44, which is what The Crisp is, so I'm actually pretty close and by design. The Crisp is always more bitter than my Saaz brew.

Too late to change it now. It's in the fridge fermenting. But I think I hit my mark.

In the future try a charge of Tett around 50 for bittering and then at 20 a good charge of HM. If dry hopping I’d personally only use HM in this style.

First taste today and so far pretty good. OG was 1.054 and it is now at 1.020. I'm thinking a D-rest is in order now. I'd like it to go down to 1.008 for a ABV of 5.9%

I started the D-rest at 1.013 and it went down to 1.007 after 2 days. I've turned the fridge down to 1℃.

I tasted the sample vs. a little leftover Crisp and they were similar but not exactly the same. It'll still be a good beer.

Back