"Luxury sports car..."

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stick in NYC sounds like a b*tch.

It's not too bad, especially if you're doing it for performance reasons. I've had 2 stick cars and 2 stick trucks since I came back from the Army. I definitely wouldn't get a stick just to save the $1000 or so it usually takes off. It did kind of suck with my most recent Jeep Wrangler once I started commuting to Manhattan.

Where were you in Jersey? You should have said something. I'm like 15 minutes from Newark Airport and some parts of Edison and even closer. We could have had a Packers Owner convention.

White eagle, awesome truck, but the gas mileage is definitely not what I'm looking for. This has to be a commuter sports car in the 20-25 mpg range. The Infiniti is on the low end of what I'm willing to take on as far as gas mileage goes. We might be moving about 65 miles from my job in the next year or two, so mpg is a major factor in my decision.

It's not too bad, especially if you're doing it for performance reasons. I've had 2 stick cars and 2 stick trucks since I came back from the Army. I definitely wouldn't get a stick just to save the $1000 or so it usually takes off. It did kind of suck with my most recent Jeep Wrangler once I started commuting to Manhattan.

Where were you in Jersey? You should have said something. I'm like 15 minutes from Newark Airport and some parts of Edison and even closer. We could have had a Packers Owner convention.

I would have, but I was only in town for like 36 hours or something. no time for anything.

i'm also, ah, not an owner, lol. my grandpa and cousins are, tho.

Figure out how many miles you drive a year. Figure out how much money you save at 30mpg vs. 20. If it is a passionate purchase, the mileage isn't much of a financial factor.

15k miles @ 30mpg = 500gal
15k miles @ 20mpg = 750gal

Thats a difference of $20 a week @ $4.00/gal.

Not really worth worrying about if you really like the car.

OTOH if you don't intend to enjoy the car, you can always buy a Prius. :)

motobrewer said:
yeah i've driven in San Fran. insane. heck, walking is insane in san fran.

Driving SF isn't so bad... I've been in smaller towns that are worse. I'm with you on the walking though. Last time I was down 19th Ave they had a traffic detour around someone who was lay'ed out in a body bag. If you ride a bike you may as well just drive into oncoming traffic to save yourself the suspense.

If you ride a bike you may as well just drive into oncoming traffic to save yourself the suspense.

yeah no kidding. they honestly need a topographical map to get around there. it might be shorter to go in a straight line but if you detour a block you could save yourself a major climb and descent!

i heard stories of fixie ("authentic" fixie, no brake) riders in san fran...just straight up suicidal.

How is BMW's gas mileage in comparison to similar cars? The Genesis is so high on my list because nothing I've seen compares with its mpg rating.
My I6s were averaging lower to mid 20s. My 540 (V8) right now is averaging 19.7, but I do a fair amount of highway driving. I can tell you this, with a 6 speed I can run to the lake (230 miles) averaging 80 MPH and get high 20s, usually 26-27 MPG and that includes "spirited" runs at 90-100. My V8 actually gets better highway mileage at high speeds than my girlfriend's 4 banger Accord, and at 80 it has the power to pass with ease.
I spoke about manual to my wife today
:mug: IMHO a stick is the only way to drive :rockin:. In the BMW line I've had a slush box, my M3 was SMG (before they double clutched them - and I'd probably never do another) and two 6 speeds.

The Genesis is a nice looking car. Another import I like is the Kia Optima. Not sure what the HP is, but it's a nice looking car. I've also driven a number of Hyundai Sonatas, drove nice, but at speed the just seemed like they were not planted on the road.

For the money, I'd honestly consider something that is three years old (like someone did a 3 year lease and turn the car in). You can probably get a better car, you won't take a big hit on depreciation, all the "factory" bugs will be worked out and it will still have a warranty (assuming you buy it CPO from a dealer). Many premium car manufacturers will extend the warranty for free on their CPO cars.

BTW, congrats on the baby

2. A usable back seat

...and I prefer a coupe.

This is an oxymoron. I would recommend the Cadillac CTS-V with a 5.7 liter LS6 V-8 and a Tremec 6speed manual trans. You get the ride comfort of the Caddie but will blow the doors off most cars at the light!

I would never consider Nissan or Hyundai "Luxury", only as a driver's car.

Infinity I have always thought were beautiful (newer models). Acura also makes some good stuff too with some decent power.

I currently have an 08 BMW 535xi, I6 300hp twin turbo, 25 mpg all day, and I can drive in the snow. Fairly reliable, I am horrible about maintenance on my own cars, so majority of issues I've had I look back after the initial cussing and can say, "Yeah, that was my own fault." I'm at 90K miles and only serious issue I've had were injectors failing, which was covered under warranty. It's 4 doors though, but has a usable back seat; which was wife's only requirement when I picked it out. Otherwise I'd have had something with only 2.

I test drove a MB C-300 Sport. wasn't impressed. Lacked power, not real responsive, and rode rough. BMW was hands down the better car. Got mine used on sale at around $28k. If you go w/ a 3-series such as a 335 it's a lighter car and typically lower priced as well. Also if you love modding, the Turbo'd BMW's offer tons of mods.

I've been reading Hyundai's website for a little bit and I'm really getting close to deciding on the Genesis. The 3.8 R-spec puts out 341hp, it's rear wheel drive, estimated 31 mpg, not much of a sacrifice as far as luxury, and comes in just under $30k. I'm going to test drive one in the next few weeks I think.

booooo!

convert.....convert to the dark side!

Inline 6 is a much, much better engine config than a silly V6 anyway ;)

My wife and I have a Altima Coupe 3.5SE leather, nav...basically a Infinity G35 badged as a Nissan with 17" wheels instead of 19" wheels...
Car flys....

Specs:

3.5L V6, 24 valves, 270 hp @ 6000 rpm
6 speed CVT transmission
19 mpg city / 27 mpg hwy

307626_243995232302625_7389400_n.jpg

Has tinted windows now...

I've been reading Hyundai's website for a little bit and I'm really getting close to deciding on the Genesis. The 3.8 R-spec puts out 341hp, it's rear wheel drive, estimated 31 mpg, not much of a sacrifice as far as luxury, and comes in just under $30k. I'm going to test drive one in the next few weeks I think.

I've walked up to black Genesis' thinking it was my Infinity G35 :drunk:

The styling on these Hyundai cars keeps getting better, though I still like the lines on the G better. I hate the very fake vents on the hood, but the rest of it is great. I haven't seen the interior of the Gen. That R-Spec and the Track model are very fast, but if you are really concerned with track reviews you should check out the Motor Trend review, which had some issues with the gearbox.

It's a great VALUE if you are comparing stickers. But make sure you are looking at the take-home price. The Infinity is an older model, so you might get invoice or below, whereas the Gen is a new model and maybe you will have to fight to get the price down, especially on the sports models (3.8L).

Also, note that the inifinity requires 91 octane and above, which is always the premium down here. Don't know about the Gen; probably does too.

Interestingly, the Genesis only performs slightly less with regular unleaded and has sensors specifically for the purpose of using lower grade gas. I like that aspect of it a lot. I really like the Infinitis, but the only way I could get one brand new would be to lease. I really can't justify spending that much to buy. I really want to buy whatever I end up with.

have you given any thought to an accord coupe? the HP #'s of the V6 are slightly off what you are looking for, but they are no slouch. you could even go with a 4 door and get a V6/6 speed if you order it.

you can get into a 30-40k mile car for well under 20K with it loaded.

yeah you might get slightly less performance and mileage but any car since like 1996 won't "knock" or have a problem running lower grade.

Possible plan change (of course). What does everyone think of the 3000GT VR4? I found one for $1500 that is in almost perfect condition but needs an engine. I'm thinking total cost $8500 or so when all is said and done. Remember, I have a pro mechanic on staff. ;)

Airborneguy said:
Possible plan change (of course). What does everyone think of the 3000GT VR4? I found one for $1500 that is in almost perfect condition but needs an engine. I'm thinking total cost $8500 or so when all is sai and done. Remember, I have a pro mechanic on staff. ;)

A friend of mine had one. The popped engine seems to be a trend on these.

They're basically the same car, but this is the Mitsubishi version. The engines seem to be interchangeable, which is why they are so easy to find. Found a crated rebuild for $2600 already, with the turbos and the transmission.

The vr4's were very prone to spun bearings in the bottom end, especially in cars that were driven hard. They also have transfer case issues. IMO if youre looking into a AWD turbo go with a Subaru WRX, I know they're sedans but they're extremely fun to drive and very reliable as long as you don't turn the turbo boost too high. If you're focusing on RWD coupes you're on track with the G35/37 or 350/370Z. Don't pass up the Scion FRS or Subaru BRZ because lack of HP, they're light and are getting awesome reviews. Personally, I'd stay away from anything Mitsubishi.

The BRZ/FR-S really intrigued me, but they run almost as much as the R-Spec 3.8 Genesis without the luxury interiors and way less horsepower. If they were closer to $20k I'd consider them, but everything I can find has them over $25k. At that point, the extra $4-5k for the Genesis is nothing considering everything it has.

Another thing is I see the BRZ/FR-S being serious tuner cars, which is awesome, but since I'm not big into that scene, the Genesis gives me everything I want, stock.

The vr4's were very prone to spun bearings in the bottom end, especially in cars that were driven hard. They also have transfer case issues.

At this point, do you think any car still on the road has already worked through those issues? And does the Stealth have the same reputation? They are virtually the same car, but Stealth's seem to be cheaper on the used market.

I know you said no euro, but the 335i coupe hits everything else you wanted with many many easy mods out there that will smoke most anything else in the category and does fit as a true luxury sport. I have a 535 putting nearly 500 HP to the rear (mustang Dyno) and it's still a tame cruiser on pump with nearly 30mpg highway depending on what map you're running. The lighter 335 has even more potential. You wouldn't be disappointed and used, is in your price range. Don't cheat yourself, at least take a look....;)

Airborneguy said:

I purchased a G37 last year. I compared the Infiniti, Genesis, Lexus, and other similar cars. I found that the Genesis looked really cheap inside and it didn't feel like a luxury sports car relative to other similar vehicles. The G37 had the highest hp, looked, and feels like a true luxury sports car. I'm glad I chose the Infiniti in the end. The mpg on highway is 22-23 and around 18 in the city. The pickup from the start is extremely fast and handles corners like a dream.

Something like the VR4 is an entirely different ball of wax. Older cars can be beasts. I've personally been astounded by a well-prepped Porsche 914 on a track. A couple grand and a lot of sweat and grease can add up to an attractive machine. But it's not the turn-key solution that a newer car is.

If you really dig performance cars, there's plenty of them out there, with lots of available upgrades, under 3 grand. Miatas, older Mustangs, older Camaros, DSM cars (Laser, Talon, Eclipse), Supras, etc., the list is endless. If you're willing to hack into one, you can produce one heck of a fine and cheap sportscar. If you've got the desire, pick the one that appeals to you and go for it. But that is miles away from the reliable everyday transportation you can have with a relatively new car. They're really different classes of fun. Those are hobby cars, not every day transportation for mature adults who actually need to get places.

And that's not to say it can't be day-in/day-out reliable.. because they can be. But they will always be a bit tempermental and you will always have to be up on the maintenance. They aren't "turn the key and forget about it" types of machines. So if you're going to go that route, love the car you choose and make it a part of the family. Drop the 3 grand, in the car that's worth $2500 from time to time.. because you love the car and it's an extension of you, and it serves you well (if you take care of it, it will!!!). Ultimately, all cars cost money. There's no free lunch. Over the extended life of your car, eventually that $3,000 car will cost you about as much in service to keep it running as the $30,000 car. It's not savings... you keep it because you like it.. and because all cars cost money. Find the keeper... The one that speaks to you. Or else just buy something newer and somewhat disposable.

In that range of economical enthusiast cars, I'm actually a fan of Corvettes. 20 grand buys a nice used Vette. Used as a daily driver, the big honkin' V-8 engine lasts forever, it also keeps its collectible value on the used market quite well, it is an impressive performer, And the aftermarket for them is huge. Insomuch as an car could be considered an investment, vettes are good ones. Kept in good condition, they don't lose their value much below $20K. They are good performers, great lookers, they are reliable, and people know a lot about maintaining them and keeping them in good shape. But on the down side, once you drop $20K on a vette, you may still need another daily vehicle for the days when the vette is out of commission... and your budget is now getting tight. It's probably not the car for you, given your stated interest, but I bring it up to give you an idea of what older performance cars (like the VR4) give you, and what they require in return.

I have been trying to talk my wife into a Genesis for a while now. My best shot at closing the deal would be to win enough at poker to pay for the whole thing. Then there is essentially no argument.

Avoid the 3000 GT VR4 or Stealth R/T. I owned a Stealth R/T twin turbo. It was a money pit! First it spun a main bearing that caused the piston to slap the valves then the piston and valves shattered and the engine was toast. After that repair the output shaft to the transfer case snapped. I replaced it with an aftermarket shaft, it snapped too. The only way was to replace the shaft with a factory was to purchase a new tranny. That was 5k eight years ago. Those transmissions were hard to find then. The motor was 15k... On the bright side, it was the best handling car I ever drove. The AWD and AWS were amazing. I'd recommend a 03 or 04 cobra.

Mrkirbcheck said:
Avoid the 3000 GT VR4 or Stealth R/T. I owned a Stealth R/T twin turbo. It was a money pit! First it spun a main bearing that caused the piston to slap the valves then the piston and valves shattered and the engine was toast. After that repair the output shaft to the transfer case snapped. I replaced it with an aftermarket shaft, it snapped too. The only way was to replace the shaft with a factory was to purchase a new tranny. That was 5k eight years ago. Those transmissions were hard to find then. The motor was 15k... On the bright side, it was the best handling car I ever drove. The AWD and AWS were amazing. I'd recommend a 03 or 04 cobra.

+1 on the 3000 and stealth not worth the headache

I know you said no euro, but the 335i coupe hits everything else you wanted...

Did some research last night, I'm very intrigued. I'm going to speak to my mother's boyfriend about how he feels regarding BMW's again. The interiors can't be even touched by anything else I can afford, they're just beautiful.

Why not European? I have a 2009 BMW 335i coupe. Twin turbo, 300 hp. This car is absolutely amazing. Bought it used for around $35k. It is fast and handles like a dream. I recommend driving one before you write it off...

My issue is the reputation they have for being money pits once the warranty ends, but now I'm intrigued since a few people on here have said it's a misconception, at least in regards to BMW. After all I was reading last night, I'm really liking the 335i, awesome looking car and used it is right in my price range while still meeting my other criteria.

Yes, join the dark side.

The N54 rocks.
Keep the belt on though. If it shreads pieces will wrap around the crank pulley and destroy the front seal. I just found that out with mine. :( and it requires a special tool to remove the old one.

Latest posts

Back