Lukr side pull faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rule4

Reaction score
I want to upgrade my kegerator tower to a two faucet from a single. I also want to make one of the faucets a lukr side pull for lagers and leave the other a traditional faucet for ipa or stout. We have lukrs at the brewery I work at and love the pour. $300+ is a steep price for a faucet but again I love the pour/foam so I’m going to buy myself happiness. Has anyone on here ever added one of these to their kegerator? I was kind of hoping to find someone with the knowledge of what if any adapters I need to make this work on a standard tower.

My understanding is that if you buy a model with a "US Shank Adapter" it will fit a standard shank, tower or otherwise.

Also, are you really finding Lukr side pour faucets for close to $300? I think the cheapest I've seen is $399.

You’re definitely right about the price… KegWorks has them for $399 and that kinda seems what the price is.

Brew your own beer they said, you’ll save money they said… haha

Micromatic has a side pull faucet that runs around $200 - I think called swing lever faucet (the one meant for beer). My understanding is that it’s the Micromatic equivalent of a Lukr - but I’m no expert. This might be a good option since you likely wouldn’t have to deal with adaptors.

Thanks @rmr9 for the tip. This one arrived today.

R5hYNFd.jpg

That’s a thing of beauty! I’m curious to see how it works out so please update with a review!

I’ve decided to brew a stretch of lagers over the next year or so and I’m always looking to add gadgets and toys to improve my brewing game.

I’ve never had a beer served through a side pull faucet before, so I’m not sure exactly what it brings to the table. It must be worth it since I’ve been seeing this pop up more and more.

Is that actually blue or did your camera go wonky?

It's just the lighting. It's plain Stainless Steel color.

I’m curious to see how it works out so please update with a review!

I’ve decided to brew a stretch of lagers over the next year or so and I’m always looking to add gadgets and toys to improve my brewing game.

I’ve never had a beer served through a side pull faucet before, so I’m not sure exactly what it brings to the table. It must be worth it since I’ve been seeing this pop up more and more.

I have an Altbier fermenting right now, so that should make for a reasonable test when that goes on.

I'm lucky in that there are a few local breweries serving lagers (and sometimes lager-like ales) with side pull faucets. They can make a great Czech style pour with a creamy head (Hladinka style), or a whole mug full of foam (Mlíko style) if desired, or anything in between.

That’s a thing of beauty! I’m curious to see how it works out so please update with a review!

First "Hladinka" type pour with the new Micromatic Swing Lever faucet. It works like it should. It was pretty easy, even on the first try, to pour a creamy head first, then submerge the faucet wide open and let the clean bear fill underneath. Sorry about the lousy grainy pic.

CYfE4Hz.jpg

Does the Micromatic have a screen inside? This article on Lukr faucets by Evan Rail says that there are two reasons why Lukr faucets are so special: the ball valve and the screen:

“An American faucet is an on-off switch. It’s either on or it’s off. That’s it,” Panzica responds. “The side-pour faucet is more like a dimmer switch. You can get various degrees of foam. If you open the faucet 15 degrees, you’ll get straight foam, but if you open it 90 degrees, you get straight beer.”
Despite the visible differences on the exterior, the main difference is inside: side-pull taps are built around what is known as a ball valve, instead of the “plunger” type of valve in traditional beer founts. The tap itself is actually longer and hangs lower, and is intended to be submerged into the beer as it flows into the glass. In addition, a small screen inside the side-pull faucet helps to create foam.
“Inside, you have a screen that is basically a micro-screen,” Panzica explains. “You’re talking about foam going through a screen that produces an even denser foam. It’s the equivalent of cappuccino foam—it’s dense and wet. It will last anywhere from three to seven minutes, depending on the temperature of the room, and it’s protecting the beer the entire time.”

I do like a sparkler on a beer engine, so maybe I just might have to splurge and find out if the screen on the Lukr adds just a little extra to make it worth the price.

I don't get the apparent predilection towards generating more foam than regular gear could dispense.

I once bought a "creamer faucet lever" from Perlick to help meet a $25 minimum parts order - I really just needed to stock up on O-rings. It turns a model 525 faucet into a 575 by enabling a "push-back foam" function. I found it really wasn't any better than simply cracking the normal faucet lever forward a bit - if for some curious reason extra head was required. I used it for all of one day then switched back to the normal lever...

Cheers!

Apologies for the resurrection of an old thread but just wanted to say i broke down and ordered a Lukr facet and extra gasket kit today from CZ.

I brew a lot of lagers and am excited to experiment with the various Czech pours.

Also looking to practice the slow pour pils pour as I experienced this past spring when I had the opportunity to go to Bierstadt Lagerhaus in Denver while out there for a reggae show at Red Rocks.

I know it’s expensive and standard faucets pour well also but as I see side pulls popping up in more places and craft lagers becoming more and more popular on tap lists I felt it was time to jump in.

Also looking to practice the slow pour pils pour as I experienced this past spring when I had the opportunity to go to Bierstadt Lagerhaus in Denver while out there for a reggae show at Red Rocks.

Just FYI, there's nothing wrong with using a side pull faucet for "slow pours," but that seems to be an American invention/misinterpretation. There are various Czech pours, but none of them are slow.

Just FYI, there's nothing wrong with using a side pull faucet for "slow pours," but that seems to be an American invention/misinterpretation. There are various Czech pours, but none of them are slow.
yes true. the typical czech pours are quite rapid. i suppose you could do a slow pour with a standard faucet but i get the sense the dense wet micro foam a side pull creates really elevates the final product in a slow pour. at least that was my experience at Bierstadt Lagerhaus. I’ve not seen specifically any slow pours at the usual side-pull suspects here in new england but perhaps i missed them or they’re an “off the menu” request item…. treehouse, notch, etc…

If anyone has seen slow pours (either side pull or standard faucets) in new england area i’d love to hear about it.

yes true. the typical czech pours are quite rapid. i suppose you could do a slow pour with a standard faucet but i get the sense the dense wet micro foam a side pull creates really elevates the final product in a slow pour. at least that was my experience at Bierstadt Lagerhaus. I’ve not seen specifically any slow pours at the usual side-pull suspects here in new england but perhaps i missed them or they’re an “off the menu” request item…. treehouse, notch, etc…

If anyone has seen slow pours (either side pull or standard faucets) in new england area i’d love to hear about it.

Since Chris Lohring at Notch (where they pride themselves on the very fast pour) was one of the first LUKR customers in the US and has had a huge influence on lager brewing in New England, I don't think you'll have much luck finding a slow pour.

Some great info on the history of the LUKR slow pour in this article: The Proper Czech Pours: The Best Foam You’ll Ever Drink:

A sign of ingenuity and invention, the slow pour is a technique of pouring beer from a LUKR faucet started by Ashleigh Carter and Bill Eye, owners of the famous Bierstadt Lagerhaus in Denver, CO.

The two started the slow pour because they found this the best way to pour their pilsner and give the character they wanted to the beer.

Carter shared with us that from the very beginning at Bierstadt they wanted to change how Americans approached pouring beer, promoting an appreciation for the liquid with #properglassware (not the dreaded shaker pint!).

The slow pour is simply a new interpretation of using the side-pull faucet, which technically was only invented in the 1990s.

“That’s the way I like my beer poured,” says Carter in another piece for Hop Culture. “When we opened this place ourselves we made a conscious decision: Are we really going to make every pils take long to pour? Are we going to do this to the bartenders? We looked at each and said, ‘You know what? I want the customer to have the same experience that I like having.’”

Whereas most of the pours mentioned above take between three to five seconds, the slow pour can take up to seven minutes, building up a very presentable head of foam that spills over the top of the glass.

“You can make some really beautiful-looking pillowy, almost ice cream cone collars of foam on top, but it’s a different type of foam, not a drinkable foam, more like a meringue at that point,” says Witte.

A slow pour does produce a more tannic foam, as opposed to the wet, creamy version you’ll find in the above pours (which is why Havránek at LUKR isn’t a fan), but the slow pour creates a beautiful presentation, reduces carbonation in the beer, and overall provides an incredible consumer experience.

I've never had a slow pour, but I have had many fast pours at Notch and Human Robot and I'm a fan.

I was just at the New England Homebrew Jamboree and one club had a LUKR faucet but they were just doing straight pours so it was more of a novelty. At a festival where you are reusing your glass, a proper side pull pour (or a proper sparkler pour from cask) where the faucet goes into the glass is not what we need in this post-pandemic world. But in my basement, that's another story.

Since Chris Lohring at Notch (where they pride themselves on the very fast pour) was one of the first LUKR customers in the US and has had a huge influence on lager brewing in New England, I don't think you'll have much luck finding a slow pour.

Some great info on the history of the LUKR slow pour in this article: The Proper Czech Pours: The Best Foam You’ll Ever Drink:

I've never had a slow pour, but I have had many fast pours at Notch and Human Robot and I'm a fan.

I was just at the New England Homebrew Jamboree and one club had a LUKR faucet but they were just doing straight pours so it was more of a novelty. At a festival where you are reusing your glass, a proper side pull pour (or a proper sparkler pour from cask) where the faucet goes into the glass is not what we need in this post-pandemic world. But in my basement, that's another story.
thanks, i’ve seen the article before and have tasted the slow pour at bierstadt lagerhaus in denver which (in addition to the various czech pours) was a deciding factor in the purchase. looking forward to experimenting with all the variations of pour the faucet can deliver.

thanks, i’ve seen the article before and have tasted the slow pour at bierstadt lagerhaus in denver which (in addition to the various czech pours) was a deciding factor in the purchase. looking forward to experimenting with all the variations of pour the faucet can deliver.
Craft Beer and Brewing Magazine just posted this video about slow pours from Ashleigh Carter:
Video Tip: Slow Pours, Foam, and Service with Intention

The pils pour in the video did not look that slow to me. Seemed like more of a top up. The main thing is to remember to over-carb your beer to the right amount so you can knock some foam out and it does not taste flat.

Back