Lowest temperature to keep a lambic at?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
What is the lowest temperature you want to sit a lambic at to age and do it's thing? I'm not going to have a problem letting it sit between 58-60 for a year or two right? It will do it's thing, maybe just a bit slower than if I was to let it sit in the mid to high 60s, right?

Thanks!

You'll be fine. Like you said, it'll just be a little slower. I kept mine in a cellar that was a little under 60:and it was fine.

Mine is in the garage. Only thing I'm worried about is temperature drops in the winter but last year the garage was warmer than the house.

joshrosborne obviously has some experience to say it is OK, but I would be concerned that the souring bugs would shut-down below 60 F. It is certainly going to be slow.

joshrosborne obviously has some experience to say it is OK, but I would be concerned that the souring bugs would shut-down below 60 F. It is certainly going to be slow.

I'm sure they slow down, but I don't think they die. I've never gone under 50 degrees, though. I try to make sure to start my sours in the spring and summer so the yeast and bacteria have a head start. The way I look at it, these old Belgian breweries didn't have their fermenting beers in a heated space during their winters.

Oh, and yes, the souring bugs is what I was worried about.. Not doing their thing at such a low temp.

I've been in a couple different Belgian lambic cellars and the temperature is definitely below 60F. Some are closer to 50 than 60, and may dip below that on cold nights. Lambic and gueuze in bottles also mature at cellar temperatures and those are also below 60.

I think you'd be totally fine in the mid 50's and even with really cold spells ducking down below 50 for a brief period of time. As mentioned above, it will mature more slowly but that isn't necessarily a bad thing for the flavor and it might be better.

Im with davejanssen.

Ive visited Brasserie Cantillon in the winter and it was in the low 50s in the brewery during the day. Thats with people working and a hustle and bustle of business. I wouldnt be surprised if it gets into the 40s in the barrel rooms during the cold Brussels nights.

I consistent temp is still probably ideal, and maybe the changing temperatures in these old Lambic producers is why it takes so much longer to mature, but Terroir and ****.

I also would not be worried with yeast dying at that temperature, just working a little slower. Yeast labs that make sour blends recommend storing them in the fridge until future use (ECY for example) and that does not kill the yeast, even at a much lower temperature.

Back