Lowered temp of notty after 2 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trails_n_Ales

Reaction score
I pitched notty for a nut brown ale and started fermentation at 68. I noticed some banana esters so I placed the fermenter in my basement which is sitting at 64. Will this have any negative affect? I've read that you want to start low and raise temp. I'm on day 6 in primary so should I raise back up to 68 to finish off? Thanks in advance for the help.

Potentially, yes, that may have negative effects. However, it's not 100% certain that it will or that you'd even notice if it did. It depends on many other factors, so don't give up hope. You're still well within the manufacturer's spec range for Nottingham (57-70F), so any ill-effects should be reasonably minor.

If you can tell that your ferment is winding down, raising to at least 68 would probably be a good course of action at this point. You may even want to go higher, say maybe 70 or 72F. By starting at 68 and finishing at 64 the yeast may have generated some off-flavors that will hopefully get metabolized or reabsorbed by ramping the temperature up again to make sure the ferment finishes strong.

for the future: one thing to remember is that you will smell all kind of aromas coming out of the fermentor during fermentation. Those are smells that are leaving your beer, so don't make any rash decisions based on them because that's all part of the process that eventually results in (possibly delicious) beer!

Are ambient temps in the basement 64? If that's what you're going off of, the actual wort temp is probably 5-10 degrees higher than that due to the exothermic action of yeast while fermenting.

That also suggests that if your prior ambient was 68, the actual wort temp was 73-78.

Oh wow. Yeah the ambient temp is 64. And ambient 68 at original temp. I knew there was heat given off during fermentation, but didn't realize it was that much.

Latest posts

Back