Lower than target OG on NB Waldo Amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
Brewed NB's Waldo Amber Ale kit yesterday. Same procedure as my other extract kits - start with 6 gallons and end with right around 5. I do a full boil. Only two things that were "different" with this kit than the other previous ones where I was pretty much right on with my expected OG. The Waldo kit had me add my first hop addition WITH THE STEEPING GRAINS - prior to the boil. When I removed the steeping grain bag after the 20 minutes it was coated in green hop sludge and I wonder if that kind of "clogged" the grains from getting into the water as much as they should. Still, even if that did happen, I thought steeping grains just added color and body - not gravity. Secondly, this was my first kit where I used Irish Moss. Did as directed - one TSP/5 gallons. The target OG of the kid is 1.063 and mine was 1.057 - not super far off, but noticeable. Just double checked my hydrometer this morning and it reads 1.000 when reading water. Any chance Irish moss would affect a gravity reading? Any other ideas?

A couple of thoughts:
1. Is it possible that you had more water than you thought? In my limited experience when I miss SG with an extract its because I messed up my water volumes.
2. I know you calibrated your hydrometer. Did you temp correct for the temp of the sample?

Just my 2 cents

Don't think water was an issue. Ended right around 5 gallons as I normally do.
My other readings have been taken at basically the same temp.

Since I posted this, I e-mailed NB. They said it might be that I didn't stir well prior to taking the OG reading. I knew stirring was important for accuracy when you do a partial boil, but even with a full boil, it's a good idea, they said. Reason being is that heavier/denser malt can sink to the bottom of the fermenter after it's cooled and that could throw off the OG reading a few points. They said if I ended with around 5 gallons to go ahead an assume I have an OG of 1.063 since I used all the extract provided.

Same thing just happened to mine I brewed this weekend. I cloned a Green Flash IPA and OG called for a 1.063 and I hit a 1.058. Oh well, what can you do about it? I think it will turn out fine:)

Like I said, NB said assuming you used all the fermentables in the kit and ended up right around 5 gallons, you can safely assume the OG of our beer is as they state on the kit's instructions. Even if it isn't, and my OG really was 1.057, if I get down to 1.010, which may or may not happen, but just as an example, it still yields a 6.1% ABV instead of 6.9%. The difference is noticeable, but not terribly huge. I'd way rather have a solid 6.1% beer than one that is higher ABV that has bad flavor or smell. Good luck with your IPA!

Back