Lower range for Roeselare

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kranak

Reaction score
What is the lower range to secondary a Roselare Flanders Red? Room is at 57 now with a possible few degree drop. The Beer is about 10 month old and I have no intent in getting into it for a long time, but I don't want to drop the bugs and yeast out.

I age my Roselare beers in that range and over the course of two winters, haven't had any ill-effects.

Rodenbach holds their foeders at ~59F. Low temperature will certainly slow the microbes, but they'll get back to work when things warm up.

My cellar gets down to 50 and stays there all winter. Some brett strains and some pedio seem just as active or more active at cool temps. Anything that slows down or stops at low temps will kick back up when it warms if their are fermentables remaining. Many producers feel that a constant temp is best, but a few like Cantillon believe that seasonal temperature changes are an integral part of the lifecycle of the beer. Like the rest of mixed ferment brewing, different approaches can yield equally good results.

Thanks for the replys. Slowing down doesn't bother me at all, so long as I'm not halting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back