Low Profile Tavern Head and Quick Disconnect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneWolfPR

Reaction score
I keg all my homebrew in standard corny kegs. However sometimes the occasion arises that I want some commercial beer in kegs. Until recently I always just took my corny up to one of our local breweries and they'd fill that for me. I wanted more flexibility so I got a low profile tavern head. The gas and liquid lines coming out of my tap have swivel nuts on the bottom to make it easy to remove the ball lock connectors. Coming off the tavern head are just standard barb fittings screwed into the openings. I've been trying to find a fitting I can connect to the tavern head to allow me to connect it to the swivel nuts, but I've had no luck so far. Has anyone seen something like this. I'd imagine it would just be a male-male gas size NPT and male-male liquid NPT. Any help would be great. Thanks.

So looks like I need MPT for the threads going into the tavern head and MFL for the threads going into the quick disconnect.

Edit: Ok. One more step. Specifically, I've got a Perlick Lo Boy. It has a 5/16" barb for the gas of course and 3/16" for the liquid. It looks like they're both 1/4" MPT going into the coupler, but I can't tell for certain. Anyone have experience with this and know for sure. If that's the case it looks like all I need are two 1/4" MPT to 1/4" MFL fittings to get the job done.

Ok, finally got around to getting the parts I need. Should anyone decide to switch these out what you need is a 1/8'' NPT to 1/4" MFL. One thing to note though is that the gas side barb fitting that comes on the coupler has a built in check-valve. So if you do this, you'll be removing that check valve. Which brings me to a question. Is this check valve really necessary?

Yes, been looking at them myself, I have check valves at regs but thinking about installing at the QD's I would need 16 of them......Maybe we could find others and do group buy?

Latest posts

Back