Low mash temp ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miked597

Reaction score
I'm doing my first AG. My mash temp should be 152 I'm at 140!!! Am I OK? It's a gumball head clone.

If you're sure that that's your temp (ie you're confident in your thermometer and its been well stirred and mixed), then you'll definitely want to bring that up. I think you'll still get some conversion at that temp, but it will lead to a very fermentable wort. Its possible that it might still taste fine, but its also easy to boil some water and add it to bring it up a little bit. You can also consider doing a two-step mash, where the second step is higher than your original mash (ie 156) to generate some more complex sugars. That way if it takes half an hour to get your water boiling, you're still ok with the mash.

No.

Add boiling water and mix if you have room in the mash tun. If not, pull a pot full of mash and heat up and return to tun. Stir and repeat if you need to.

You'll be fine. I often step 130* to 152-154*. I like my ale drier than Death Valley dust clouds.

Back