Low Gravity Porter should I bottle it? Coconut Powder okay to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWorld

Reaction score
I was in the hurry to make a holiday beer. I know two weeks in the bottle might be cutting close. I've got a beer that has a gravity of 1.040 and now it's sitting about 1.015...I checked it over the course of three days and it remained consistent. It's been in the carboy about 9 days...

I used Safale 05...My mash temperature was a bit high. I'm thinking I might be stuck with this low of gravity. It was my intention to produce a low alcohol drinkable beer

For bottling I have some Coconut milk powder. It came from a spice shop. The packag e says 65 percent coconut oil and the base is maltodextrin. I've never used this before.

Is 2 ounces overkill at bottling? I want to have some nice coconut notes going on. I'll also keep the priming sugar much lower since I'm going to be bottling it straight out of the cooler.

Hopefully she goes well...At 3.2 percent I think it can be consumed without too much worry of inebriation. It's my first session beer. I'm hoping it to be better than Maui Brewing coconut porter. More body, less sweet and more hop bite.

We'll see...

For your first question: Yeah, you're probably fine bottling it. It will be a bit sweet, and it is under attenuated, but chances are fermentation is done. And if you're not going to try to do anything to attenuate it further, then bottling now is fine.

For your second question: If you use coconut milk powder you will end up with coconut tasting, sweet, flat beer. Maltodextrin is not maltos, it is a non-fermentable sugar that is sometimes used to add mouthfeel to beer. Your best bet is to use priming sugar as usual.

As far as the coconut flavor, you might be in a bit of a pickle: You can add the coconut milk irregardless of priming, just for the taste. But keep in mind that the coconut oil may cause problems with head retention. I know people sometimes use fresh coconut for flavor, but that would require more time in a secondary than you actually have.

My personal opinion is to bottle with corn sugar as usual. You will end up with a light refreshing session beer. It doesn't have to have losts of alcohol to be good.

Back