Low Gravity Oatmeal Stout Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilishprune

Reaction score
I've been searching for a few days, and I haven't found anything that really helped me out with this.

A little background: I've been getting into session beers for whatever reason, so I thought that I would try to brew up a good one myself. Additionally, I was drinking some wine the other night and it was pretty full bodied. I was confused, because I always thought that wine fermented to 0.99-1.000; how could it have body without extra unfermentables?

I was listening to a podcast on the Brewing Network with Shea Comfort about using wine yeast in beer. He said that wine yeast produce some compounds that contribute to body without leaving any unfermentable sugars. So, my thought is to have a low OG oatmeal stout that finishes at as close as possible to 1.00 while still having body from the wine yeast. Stupid? Maybe, but I need some help on a recipe.

Here's what I have so far, it's a bit rough. I just want some help with people experienced with brewing this style. I'm making a half batch in case it's terrible.

Recipe: LowG Oatmeal Stout
Brewer: David
Asst Brewer:
Style: Oatmeal Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 2.50 gal
Boil Size: 3.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.034 SG
Estimated Color: 44.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 35.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 76.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1 lbs 10.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 49.92 %
10.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 19.20 %
6.0 oz Blackprinz (525.0 SRM) Grain 11.67 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 7.68 %
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 7.68 %
2.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.84 %
0.375 oz Nugget [12.20 %] (40 min) Hops 35.3 IBU
1 Pkgs Lalvin BM-45 Yeast-Wine

For base malt, I wanted some added flavor so I went with vienna. I also have MO if that might be better. Blackprinz malt is because I have it: it's basically carafa III I think. Lalvin BM-45 is supposed to have a lot of body for a wine yeast, and contributes some cherry-like flavor. I plan to mash at 148-150 to get the most fermentability possible.

I've never heard that wine yeast creates more body- that seems sort of odd. I have had plenty of very thin wines that need to have body builders added (like raisins) to create "legs". Generally body comes from ingredients, not the choice of yeast. I would really question that advice, as I'm a very experienced winemaker and this is the first time I heard of it.

Anyway, about the recipe. That recipe won't ferment to 1.000, no matter what yeast you use. Mashing low will help it attenuate more fully, though.

I made a low OG/session stout this summer. Og of 1.040, FG of 1.016. It was awesome, and very drinkable for the guests at a summer party.

Beano will take it down. But a stout fermented to 1.000 would be thin and odd. I think. I wouldn't recommend doing this.

Adding amylase enzymes to the fermentor, then giving it several weeks to ferment out, will result in a well-attenuated beer. Just use a simple ale yeast, 1056 or S-05 or similar. I'm doing this right now (although I'm lagering it with lager yeast as an experiment).

Okay, so it was probably a bad idea. Yooper, care to post the recipe that you used?

Drop the crystal and oats and do an extended beta rest and you should be able to hit 1.000. I wouldn't suggest it. For giggles I took a German Pils from 1.050 down to 1.002. Basically it was ruined. It was drinkable but it was like drinking flour and water.

I think some (all?) wine yeasts won't ferment maltotriose... so I suppose that could leave a little body if your beer was mashed high and heavy in less fermentable sugars. But if you mashed high, your beer would have more body anyway. However leaving the maltotriose was the first thing I thought of when you mentioned using a wine yeast to ferment your wort. It doesn't sound as if that's what they were talking about on the program you mention, though.

I have no idea how it would turn out. It would be an interesting experiment, though.

So if this recipe doesn't look terrible, I might end up with a 5 gallon batch. I'll bump the OG up to 1.04 or so. I'll do one half with the wine yeast and one half with US-05 or something similar, that way I can see if there are any difference in body between the two.

Okay, so it was probably a bad idea. Yooper, care to post the recipe that you used?

Sure. I made 4.25 gallons of this "summer oatmeal stout".

4 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 65.57 %
9.4 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.67 %
7.5 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 7.70 %
7.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 7.21 %
4.8 oz Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.92 %
4.8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.92 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (60 min) Hops 28.5 IBU
1 Pkgs Denny's Favorite (Wyeast Labs #1450PC) [Starter 50 ml] Yeast-Ale

Efficiency was 77%.
28.5 IBUs
3.12% ABV

So if this recipe doesn't look terrible, I might end up with a 5 gallon batch. I'll bump the OG up to 1.04 or so. I'll do one half with the wine yeast and one half with US-05 or something similar, that way I can see if there are any difference in body between the two.

That sounds like a good way to do it.

I've never heard that wine yeast creates more body- that seems sort of odd. I have had plenty of very thin wines that need to have body builders added (like raisins) to create "legs". Generally body comes from ingredients, not the choice of yeast. I would really question that advice, as I'm a very experienced winemaker and this is the first time I heard of it.

Anyway, about the recipe. That recipe won't ferment to 1.000, no matter what yeast you use. Mashing low will help it attenuate more fully, though.

I made a low OG/session stout this summer. Og of 1.040, FG of 1.016. It was awesome, and very drinkable for the guests at a summer party.

BM45 is known for creating large amounts of polysaccharides during fermentation, which enhances mouthfeel. Not sure this is the same thing as "body", but maybe.

I'm about to use some in an experimental sour beer that I am planning on adding brett and local cranberries to. Could be disastrous...could be killer...either way, I'm excited to give it a try.

Back